Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 10:55 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I've only owned (for me, not my wife) 4 cars really (I had two others before I could drive but never really got to drive one except around the neighborhood, and never finished fixing the other, but neither was safe enough for my mom, an Opel GT and an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce). 3 of them have been wagons or hatches. A 1986 Mercedes 300TD, a 1995 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon, and my Speed3. The only other was an Audi 90 sedan.
Oops, that reminded me I did have another wagon, a Volvo. One of the 2 worst cars I've had. I think I've had 30+ cars? I'll have to try and remember them all.
Old 03-14-21, 12:12 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Oops, that reminded me I did have another wagon, a Volvo. One of the 2 worst cars I've had. I think I've had 30+ cars? I'll have to try and remember them all.
I had a similar number. My worst was a hybrid - the worst of both worlds and too much hardware to carry around. I should have known better as I would never buy a hybrid bicycle. In the future, it will be gas or electric. I owned three Subarus - one Forrester and two Outback’s for carrying around bicycles but that last one I owned had a very poor battery / electrical system and the battery would run down at a bike race just by having the trunk open while getting ready and warming up and I had to carry jumper cables just in case. Forget that.
Old 03-14-21, 04:21 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
We blew up by a few subarus, and stopped buying them after they screwed us on an engine recall for my wife's forester.

2008 outback - cracked head 125,000 miles
2010 forester - cracked head 110,000 miles (which they did a recall on but because it was over 100,000 miles they said too bad).
2012 impreza - recalled the engine in my son's impreza. But they only replaced the top half and the we traded it in for a Mini just as the engine light started going on.
Old 03-14-21, 07:09 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I briefly considered the Buick Tour X, which is a wagon version of a Regal, when I got a new car last year. It seemed nice, but I opted for the Honda Passport instead.

My only complaint about the Passport is that while it has a ton of storage space, the rear heigh is not high enough for me to put my bikes in the back via fork mounts. (My wife's CR-V is tall enough.) I can fit on bike straight up in the rear seat footwell, and if I remove the rear seat headrests, I can still fit it even with the rear seats folded.
Old 03-14-21, 09:44 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
My parents had a couple Subarus (living in the north, a mile down an unplowed dirt road in the woods, it was kind of your only option if you wanted a car), but before they started having head gasket issues. I think they had at least a 1990 Legacy wagon (totaled by my mom running off the road trying to help me in the back seat...) and a 1995 Legacy that replaced it and they still have.

I maybe wanted a WRX Sti at some point, but they were a bit out of my price range at the time. Plus I don't vape.
Old 03-15-21, 08:18 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Has anyone had a bike in the back of a Mazda CX-5? Any chance it fits with the wheels on it?
I guess I have the usual suspects on my short list...
CX-5, Rav4, CRV, and maybe the santa fe. Hyundai's come a long way in the last few years.
Old 03-15-21, 08:23 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Mid-sized pickups with are a great option these days now that they come with full rear seats (although a bit long for city driving, and a bit pricey). I can fit my family of 4 in my Tacoma with bikes, inflatable SUPs, camping gear in the capped bed. I went with a long bed and a tall cap so I can fit bikes in upright with front wheel on (except for 29'r mtbs which need the front wheel off).
Old 03-15-21, 08:41 AM
cmh

My facebook feed is now filled with ads for the all new Sienna.
Old 03-15-21, 09:05 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Has anyone had a bike in the back of a Mazda CX-5? Any chance it fits with the wheels on it?
CX-5, Rav4, CRV, and maybe the santa fe. Hyundai's come a long way in the last few years.
I haven't, but we have a CX-7, which is the older, larger sibling that they no longer make. Rear seats up, no chance at all, even in the CX-7. In the CX-5, rear seats down, I'm not sure.
Old 03-15-21, 09:14 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by cmh
Mid-sized pickups with are a great option these days now that they come with full rear seats (although a bit long for city driving, and a bit pricey). I can fit my family of 4 in my Tacoma with bikes, inflatable SUPs, camping gear in the capped bed. I went with a long bed and a tall cap so I can fit bikes in upright with front wheel on (except for 29'r mtbs which need the front wheel off).
True, but Tacomas are so expensive. They retain their value so well that it's almost not even worth it to buy used.

My wife has a CR-V. Yes, you can fit at least a 56 bike with the wheels on. You can also take off the front wheel and put the bike standing up with a fork mount. Given your needs and timeline, a used CR-V seems like the right answer.

I looked at the CX-5 and was about to pull the trigger on one, but then I noticed how small the driver footwell was. I've come to realize that on longer drives, particularly those after I've raced or had a hard training session, I like to spread my legs out a bit. The CX-5, as nice as it was, would not have allowed that.
Old 03-15-21, 09:17 AM
topflightpro

I watched "Sound of Metal" this weekend on Amazon Prime. It's a movie about a drummer who loses his hearing.

I've mentioned before that I lost most of my hearing in my left ear about 5 years ago and have a hearing aid. At my level of hearing loss, one hearing aid is not nearly as effective as two, but it's better than nothing, but I digress.

I found the movie incredibly accurate. The sound editing was truly amazing and did a fantastic job of replicating what it was like losing my hearing. From the ringing to the pressure in my ear, at times, it was almost hard to watch.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-15-21, 09:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Another comment of Subaru is that according to the dealer, when I traded in my Subaru Forrester it had a cracked head. For many reasons, I am staying away from under powered cars. Since we haul a lot of stuff around when we drive to bike races and we go to destinations in the mountains, climbing at speed with an underpowered highly loaded car at high horsepower is hard on the engine.

We got into Subaru because when we skied, it was a rental choice and we liked it although, I thought it was underpowered.

Lately, we are renting Chevy Equinox which is a RAV4 competitor. For a 4 wheel drive small SUV that carries skis, luggage and groceries, it is a good value for a resort rental. I would not own one but hey, check it out.

My first car was a 1964 Ford Mustang in line 6 cylinder stick shift on the floor. At the time, its design and branding was revolutionary. I think the new Mustang SUV electric is going to be very cool although, I would wait for version 2 and IMO, the first electric Mustang should have been a convertible sports car with a hard top at a price point to compete with Tesla model 3.
Old 03-15-21, 10:05 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I was a huge Subaru fan for a lot of years. It mostly makes me feel like an idiot.

I love my Gladiator.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-15-21, 10:23 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
True, but Tacomas are so expensive. They retain their value so well that it's almost not even worth it to buy used.

My wife has a CR-V. Yes, you can fit at least a 56 bike with the wheels on. You can also take off the front wheel and put the bike standing up with a fork mount. Given your needs and timeline, a used CR-V seems like the right answer.

I looked at the CX-5 and was about to pull the trigger on one, but then I noticed how small the driver footwell was. I've come to realize that on longer drives, particularly those after I've raced or had a hard training session, I like to spread my legs out a bit. The CX-5, as nice as it was, would not have allowed that.
We have a 2018 CR-V. It does fit a few bikes with wheels on if you take the rear seats down. I ended up installing a 2" hitch and buying a Kuat rack, though, because I hate how things get scratched and dinged up in the back of the car (even if it's just the plastic trim in the trunk)

Also we have a child seat in there full time now, leaving only half the space, and if I put my bike there then no one can hang out with the little one.

The car itself has been pretty good, though. We got the AWD version, and even though it's a tiny 1.5L, the turbo makes up for it nicely, never feels lacking. We test drove a Crosstrek and that thing felt sluggish by comparison

The CX-5 was nice enough, but it was lacking in the tech department for the price.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 03-15-21, 11:25 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by cmh
I'd love a taco, but not the best option since I'm in philly pretty often. It's a bit much for my needs right now, but I think we'll consider something like it in the future especially if my gf starts biking.

Originally Posted by cmh
My facebook feed is now filled with ads for the all new Sienna.
SUCKKKAAAA!

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I haven't, but we have a CX-7, which is the older, larger sibling that they no longer make. Rear seats up, no chance at all, even in the CX-7. In the CX-5, rear seats down, I'm not sure.
Ugh. I guess the cx-5 is probably out as well.

I ride a 56 so that should work out pretty well. Taking the front wheel off isn't a big deal, but I would reallllyyy prefer not to have to do it if I have just one bike in the back and don't have much other gear back there.

I really wish they made these cars with just a bit more power. In the 220 range would be so much more reasonable. Looking at reviews etc, I think I'd average 5-8mpg more in a crv vs a v6 rav4. That's not insignificant. The v6rav4 might be just a little bit better than my current car with the added benefit of taking regular gas. Just need to figure out if the space works and if I'm willing to sacrifice that mpg. Getting 30mpg sounds freaking amazing right now for highway driving. My 3hr RT weeknight trips to the mountain cost about 20 bucks each time...which bites. I think I get like 23-24mpg in the TL. I've seen 26-27 a few times with highway driving which was nice, but still midgrade gas.

I watched "Sound of Metal" this weekend on Amazon Prime. It's a movie about a drummer who loses his hearing.

I've mentioned before that I lost most of my hearing in my left ear about 5 years ago and have a hearing aid. At my level of hearing loss, one hearing aid is not nearly as effective as two, but it's better than nothing, but I digress.

I found the movie incredibly accurate. The sound editing was truly amazing and did a fantastic job of replicating what it was like losing my hearing. From the ringing to the pressure in my ear, at times, it was almost hard to watch.
That sounds really cool. Might have to give it a watch.
Old 03-15-21, 11:27 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I was a huge Subaru fan for a lot of years. It mostly makes me feel like an idiot.

I love my Gladiator.
I've never considered a jeep. Unlikely to consider one at this time, but it looks like a great idea. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the subaru Baja.

I love subarus, but I'm not sure I'd ever keep one past like 100k miles. I think they've finally sorted out their HG issues but damn that sucked.

Gary, do you ski at all? Downhill or CC?
Old 03-15-21, 11:37 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts

I looked at getting a CX-5 when I was looking. Ended up just being too small. The CR-V was OK but it wastes so much room with interior fluff. The Element is on the CRV platform. Almost all of the parts are the same. SOOOooooo much more room. Made for bikes and racing. It has the same volume inside as an Odyssey if you pulled out their second row.

I know no one is taking me seriously but everyone I know who races or rides a lot who has had an Element adores it and nearly refuses to give it up. They can be had at 100-150K miles for $2-$4k. They will run easily to 250k. So $2k-$4k for 100-150k miles. Tons of room and vinyl interior that you can mop or spray out.

Mileage sucks though.

As for Subaru... I know a lot of cyclists love them but they're mostly made in Lafayette. Having spent the "best damn decade" of my life getting only a bachelors there I can tell you that anyone (Purdue grads) trying to stay local who were talented tried to get on at CAT. The rejects went to Subaru. *shrug*

Old 03-15-21, 11:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I had posted a bit ago I bought a pair of cheapo rip off jerseys online, wondering if it was a scam place. They came. It's been two months. They fit. It's all I wanted, just something that fits like a bike jersey, has rear pockets, and good for those quick summer spins where you're not trying to impress anyone or be uber aero or carry a ton of junk in the pockets. Where you're not using your "nice" kit.

I got a retro La Vie Claire jersey, classic. I also got an absolutely shameless Rapha "EF Education Palace" ripoff replica jersey. It looks identical apart from not being made of "race fit" material.

If they last a year they'll have been worth it. They're both bright colors for visibility, which was one consideration.

Seems to me they run the place out of their little office in the UK and direct ship from some random place in China. Hence the delay.
Old 03-15-21, 12:09 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I looked at getting a CX-5 when I was looking. Ended up just being too small. The CR-V was OK but it wastes so much room with interior fluff. The Element is on the CRV platform. Almost all of the parts are the same. SOOOooooo much more room. Made for bikes and racing. It has the same volume inside as an Odyssey if you pulled out their second row.

I know no one is taking me seriously but everyone I know who races or rides a lot who has had an Element adores it and nearly refuses to give it up. They can be had at 100-150K miles for $2-$4k. They will run easily to 250k. So $2k-$4k for 100-150k miles. Tons of room and vinyl interior that you can mop or spray out.

Mileage sucks though.
Yes, the Element is a great option. I even looked at finding an old one to keep as a third-car, bike mobile. But the newest ones are now 10 years old and they are increasingly difficult to find.
Old 03-15-21, 12:16 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yes, the Element is a great option. I even looked at finding an old one to keep as a third-car, bike mobile. But the newest ones are now 10 years old and they are increasingly difficult to find.
I've actually given a lot of thought to buying up old elements. Mine was the last year they made them and I bought it new but I still only have 103k on it. Every time I look I can find a handful in the range of what I would be looking for. Been thinking of adding a second one. I'm serious when I say they will end up being worth $$$$ in the future as they will be an extremely collectible car. Styling for the '00's, only make it like 6 or 7 years. Tons of parts available now as it's the same as the CRv platform, etc. Wish I had money to invest in them....

Old 03-15-21, 12:30 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I've never considered a jeep. Unlikely to consider one at this time, but it looks like a great idea. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the subaru Baja.

I love subarus, but I'm not sure I'd ever keep one past like 100k miles. I think they've finally sorted out their HG issues but damn that sucked.

Gary, do you ski at all? Downhill or CC?
No, not really. I have done CC and I own snowshoes. But most of that downhill stuff doesn't interest me.
Old 03-15-21, 12:46 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mileage sucks though.

As for Subaru... I know a lot of cyclists love them but they're mostly made in Lafayette. Having spent the "best damn decade" of my life getting only a bachelors there I can tell you that anyone (Purdue grads) trying to stay local who were talented tried to get on at CAT. The rejects went to Subaru. *shrug*
Yeah... I think the cx5 is going to be too small. If I'm going to get an older car that gets mileage that low... well... it better have a v6!
That said, here's what you should do to get better mpg out of it. After you buy up a few to keep as spares!
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...t/54941/page1/

I think for the very reason rob is mentioning them. They've got a following and there aren't that many of them out there. I definitely see them as high utility cars though.

I've actually given a lot of thought to buying up old elements. Mine was the last year they made them and I bought it new but I still only have 103k on it. Every time I look I can find a handful in the range of what I would be looking for. Been thinking of adding a second one. I'm serious when I say they will end up being worth $$$$ in the future as they will be an extremely collectible car. Styling for the '00's, only make it like 6 or 7 years. Tons of parts available now as it's the same as the CRv platform, etc. Wish I had money to invest in them....
Buy one as a parts car and drive it while you do the better mpg swap in yours

Originally Posted by gsteinb
No, not really. I have done CC and I own snowshoes. But most of that downhill stuff doesn't interest me.
When I picture you and snow, I picture stuff like this. Seems almost meditative.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/roadle...boarding-movie
Old 03-15-21, 01:11 PM
cmh

Prior to the Sienna, my (now) ex-wife and I had a Subaru Legacy wagon, I think a '93, that we drove for 200k with almost no issues at all. I had a friend with the same car and the same experience. I think there was a short period when their reliability was great, and I was lucky to have one from that time.
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-15-21, 01:14 PM
cmh

Yep - I initially intended to buy used, but got a new one because the price difference to a lightly used Tacoma was next to nothing. I plan to drive it for 10+ years as I have all my vehicles, and I'm wondering if the resale value will stay as high as in the past. Some predict resale value of all gas powered cars and trucks to drop over the next 10 years with the shift to EVs. I personally think for a pickup that shift is out at 15-20 years, but who knows?
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-15-21, 01:31 PM
cmh

When I get my weight down to near 'race weight' I get cold all the time. I find myself checking the thermostat to see if someone turned it down, and pulling the extra blanket over myself at night that is usually just for my wife. I'm pretty sure this isn't a difference of insulation from an extra layer of fat because I'm talking about maybe 5 lbs of weight. I'm wondering if it is my metabolism slowing down to conserve fat. Anyone else notice this when you get skinny? (And note that I don't get super bike racer single digit bodyfat stick insect skinny, just a shift of 5-8 lbs annually from off season to race weight.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.