Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-18-21, 05:57 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
He finally contacted me and put me back in.

I got word today that my local race up whiteface is likely to be canceled. I was like 'oh, yeah there's a pandemic.' I think I was getting swept under the delusion that my year might be back to normal sooner rather than later. I think if Whiteface gets canceled I might just pull out of the other race and just slide all the chips to mount washington in August. Do whatever is around aug/sept/oct. Would certainly take the immediate pressure off.
If you're staying out by Whiteface right now, I drove by your exit late last night haha.

If Whiteface does get canceled, you may want to stay in the other race just so you can give things a test if it's not too close to Mount Washington. If you don't need a 'test and tune' or whatnot, then have at it. It's a weird year for just about everything. I know crushing souls makes you happy but might have to delay that till August or find another way to do it!
Old 03-18-21, 06:21 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Staying? I live here.

ok, coach.

more intersting, where are you going?
Old 03-18-21, 07:33 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Looks like in my state I may be eligible for vaccination starting Monday, they finally implemented a pre-registration system which I'm signed up for, so I guess the waiting game begins for real. My parents got their 2nd dose yesterday and my wife is going Monday for her 2nd.

I put up a short youtube clip yesterday (under 60 sec) playing a little riff using two products which simulate a particular amplifier, just to provide an A-B comparison to the world. I've got 86 views and 2 dislikes (without comment) and 0 likes. I can't imagine being an actual youtube creator, I don't think my ego could take the lack of validation lol While I think likes/dislikes do help to weed out terrible content, I do think the anonymity and over-simplicity of the binary choice discourages constructive feedback. Anyway, I don't think I'll be going into the influencer market anytime soon!
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 03-18-21, 08:28 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Link it up! I'd listen to that.
Old 03-18-21, 11:00 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Looks like in my state I may be eligible for vaccination starting Monday, they finally implemented a pre-registration system which I'm signed up for, so I guess the waiting game begins for real. My parents got their 2nd dose yesterday and my wife is going Monday for her 2nd.

I put up a short youtube clip yesterday (under 60 sec) playing a little riff using two products which simulate a particular amplifier, just to provide an A-B comparison to the world. I've got 86 views and 2 dislikes (without comment) and 0 likes. I can't imagine being an actual youtube creator, I don't think my ego could take the lack of validation lol While I think likes/dislikes do help to weed out terrible content, I do think the anonymity and over-simplicity of the binary choice discourages constructive feedback. Anyway, I don't think I'll be going into the influencer market anytime soon!
Eh - my channel does well enough it's now monetized (I'll be waiting forever to reach the threshold to actually get paid though). It's just like posting out here or on any social media. Someone is always going to hate it. Just have to decide you don't care if they do and you believe in what you're doing.

Long story but every now and then I will get a message from someone in the industry who either designed something i am talking about or who is a pro team wrench and they usually are giving pretty positive feedback. The validation of your peers is always nice and makes it worthwhile.

At the end off the day if you like doing videos for yourself then keep doing them. Eventually your audience will find you and YouTube is free.

Old 03-18-21, 01:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I noticed someone linking to a Psimet video in one of the FB groups I'm in. I think it was about tubular gluing. I gave it a "like." Hope that helps, Rob.
Old 03-18-21, 03:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Likes For big john:
Old 03-18-21, 03:53 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I resemble that remark...
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-19-21, 12:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I've actually given a lot of thought to buying up old elements. Mine was the last year they made them and I bought it new but I still only have 103k on it. Every time I look I can find a handful in the range of what I would be looking for. Been thinking of adding a second one. I'm serious when I say they will end up being worth $$$$ in the future as they will be an extremely collectible car. Styling for the '00's, only make it like 6 or 7 years. Tons of parts available now as it's the same as the CRv platform, etc. Wish I had money to invest in them....
By coincidence I ran across this Element with a V6 swapped into it. Seems like with some good suspension and tires it would be pretty cool.
Its the j32 out of a 2nd generation Acura TL Type S, AWD with manual trans.

Last edited by big john; 03-19-21 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-19-21, 12:23 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Just figured out I can link my Withings scale to Zwift. Win. or lose. Depending how you're working and eating at the time.

Down in the 60's now. Never rode bikes or been an adult that weighs in the 60's kg's. 68.5. I'll take it. Fat % says I can still lose a bit more as long as I'm careful with eating to fuel my workouts properly.

Stopping drinking 400 to 500 cal of alcohol nearly every night during Covid seemed to help things a bit!
Old 03-19-21, 12:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Just figured out I can link my Withings scale to Zwift. Win. or lose. Depending how you're working and eating at the time.

Down in the 60's now. Never rode bikes or been an adult that weighs in the 60's kg's. 68.5. I'll take it. Fat % says I can still lose a bit more as long as I'm careful with eating to fuel my workouts properly.

Stopping drinking 400 to 500 cal of alcohol nearly every night during Covid seemed to help things a bit!
Did they fix the connection (It's been broken for over a year) or did yo have to use the hack where you first connect withings to fitbit and then fitbit to Zwift? Or are you using the "disconnect/reconnect" every time you want to update?
Old 03-19-21, 01:41 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Just got stabbed for the 'rona dose number two (Moderna). At least it coincides nicely with a rest week.

On my way back to work, I swung by a local Mexican torta/juice place for a cold-cut torta, beet/carrot juice and wheatgrass shot. Man, it was nice outside - about 70 F, no wind, people jogging, walking and cycling everywhere. I really wanted to grab my MTB and cruise for another half hour.... But alas, I returned to work.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-19-21, 04:09 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Did they fix the connection (It's been broken for over a year) or did yo have to use the hack where you first connect withings to fitbit and then fitbit to Zwift? Or are you using the "disconnect/reconnect" every time you want to update?
It updated the first connection. We’ll see tomorrow I guess!
Old 03-19-21, 04:10 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Was just following a guy and he drove right off the road and into a tree. My wife got him out of the car while I was on with 911. He was pretty ****ed up. Turns out the car was an hour old. I'm thinking he was fiddling with new stuff. Never even tapped the brakes.

Old 03-19-21, 04:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
man that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

hopefully he isn't injured too severely! the new car looks donezo
Old 03-19-21, 05:26 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Nah that'll buff right out good as new
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-19-21, 05:55 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
That's something my nephew would do...

Originally Posted by TMonk
Just got stabbed for the 'rona dose number two (Moderna). At least it coincides nicely with a rest week.

On my way back to work, I swung by a local Mexican torta/juice place for a cold-cut torta, beet/carrot juice and wheatgrass shot. Man, it was nice outside - about 70 F, no wind, people jogging, walking and cycling everywhere. I really wanted to grab my MTB and cruise for another half hour.... But alas, I returned to work.
I'm planning my rest week around the second shot, which is on the 29th. Apparently a lot of people get sick after the 2nd Moderna shot.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-20-21, 09:00 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk

My wife thinks her second Moderna shot made her faster and wants another booster.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-20-21, 09:34 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by furiousferret
That's something my nephew would do...

If one were looking for an illustration of ridethecliche racing a crit there you go.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-21-21, 08:10 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

If one were looking for an illustration of ridethecliche racing a crit there you go.
Oofffff.

Zinger!

😭😭😭😭
Old 03-21-21, 02:44 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by ridethecliche

When I picture you and snow, I picture stuff like this. Seems almost meditative.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/roadle...boarding-movie

I bought a boat load of new winter gear this year. New backpack, spikes, crampons, ice axe, shell.

In the end I didn't hike at all. I did 125 over six months in 2020, but I trashed my left knee. Riding doesn't hurt it, so I ride right now. We bought my wife some new binoculars so I see more birding trips in my immediate future.

I did decide to skip the May racing. My wife hasn't had a vacation in over a year and she works way way too much (she's in marketing and operations for a hospital network), so since we'll both be vaccinated we're heading to florida to do some camping, birding, dining. I'll race in August and beyond.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-21-21, 06:22 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Quite a day here. Five year old's hamster died, she was a nice hamster, didn't live all that long, apparently they sometimes just have a genetic thing, she was fine last night.

No sooner had I gotten home from the special exotic vet (45 minutes away, since she was still sort of alive we tried to get her help, too late though), our lab ripped her dew claw half off. Back in the car I went, to a closer emergency vet. She's at least fine, if a bit pricy to get her all straightened out.
Old 03-21-21, 10:13 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

gsteinb

I drove by on the way to Vermont. They just changed travel restrictions and don't require quarantine if you've been vaccinated.

I promptly put in for two days off and went up to Jay Peak. ❤️

Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 03-22-21, 04:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

How the heck did you drive to VT and pass my exit off the northway?

edit: huh. We go north to go to VT but we take the ferry across the lake. I always forget there's a bridge up there.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-22-21, 09:26 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

How the heck did you drive to VT and pass my exit off the northway?

edit: huh. We go north to go to VT but we take the ferry across the lake. I always forget there's a bridge up there.
Yeah, I went by on the way up and down. Kinda threw me too since i've only ever driven to jay from MA. First time I've ever gone there solo, but it was a pretty good time for being there especially since there wasn't any fresh snow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.