Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

help me be able to swap between 2 wheelsets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-21, 05:39 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts

I have two disc brake wheel sets. One is 700C with an 11-36 cassette. The other is 650B with 11-40.
I had the LBS set up my new s-ride derailer with the 650B 11-40 wheels and it works just fine.
When I put my other wheelset (700C) on the bikes won't shift into the smallset sprocket.
Both cassettes are Shimano. Neither has a spacer installed, which I believe is correct.
I had assumed I could move between these wheel sets with no adjustments. The brakes work fine — rotors line up, but the shifting on the 700 C set suffers.
What am I missing?
Old 04-24-21, 07:54 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Even moving from like to like may require small changes in indexing and limits due to production tolerances. Going to a different wheelset with possibly a different brand/model hub makes a totally seamless change even less likely. You MIGHT be able to put thin spacers behind one cassette to make it kinda match the other (the lock ring will still need to engage sufficient threads) but perfect shifting is a lot to expect.
Old 04-24-21, 08:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
cccorlew- You assume wrong. These days with the tiny tolerances that 11 and 12 cog cassettes have even minor differences mater. Just because two hubs and cassettes (and that last bit we know isn't the case) are the same models doesn't mean that these tint differences exist from production batch to batch. It takes some serious attention to cassette placement WRT the RH axle end to get close so only a minor cable adjustment is all that's needed. Andy
Old 04-24-21, 10:31 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I change my wheel sets quite frequently depending on if I'm road riding or riding on bike paths. One rear hub is a velo orange the other a deore. Rims are both DT Swiss. One rear cassete it 11-36 the other is 11-34. Both shimano. The only adjustment I need to ever make is with the inline barrel adjuster. I have a 3x9 drive train. It probably is quite a bit more forgiving then 11 and 12 speeds also my gears are indexed but I'm using bar end shifter. I think they have more play then sti shifters maybe?
I usually change sets about once a month. I ride on gravel- c&o canal mostly and use gravel kings but with out fail I get a flat with them anytime I ride the roads. This is just my own experience. The others who replied before me probably know a lot more then I do. (Especially Andrew)
Old 04-25-21, 11:12 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ar-wheels.html
Old 04-25-21, 11:31 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Thanks to all who responded.
I used the barrel adjuster and wheelset 2 now shifts smoothly. Alas, it doesn't not want to stay in the smallest cog, which is OK as I rarely need it.
If I'm feeling brave and have time on my hands I may try to shim the cassette on wheel 1 to match wheel 2 the re adjust limit screws and barrel adjuster. I'd really like the swaps to be painless. I know these adjustments aren't a big deal for actual mechanics, but for me they will be.
BTW, This is for my gravel bike.
I also have a Roubaix with two wheelsets by different makers and those wheels swap painlessly. I didn't realize how lucky I was.
Thanks again for thr insights.