Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Stem with brake cable hanger built in

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-21, 04:18 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts

Tried searching all forums but no luck. I’m converting a vintage small Cannondale mtb into an adult bmx. Swapping the handlebars and stem to bmx style. Would anyone know a source for a new or used chrome stem that has a built in brake cable hanger that routes through the stem? Hear it was common back in the day but can’t find one anywhere online. Here’s a not so helpful pic of what I mean.
Old 05-11-21, 09:59 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Do you want an actual vintage stem or do you want a cheaper re-pop? There's a couple of options here.

If you want to find a authentic vintage stem: www.bmxmuseum.com It might help putting "Freestyle" as a key word as that was a freestyle modification for rotors.

Your in the US? You can buy modern re-make versions here.

Stems: Quill - BMXGuru.com

Porkchop BMX Quill Stems Old School BMX Bicycle Products

Shafted BMX Stems Archives - Americancycle.com Order BMX Bikes and BMX Parts

I'm not sure how handy you are but BITD it wasn't un common for people to drill and tap the hole themselves, and add the adjuster bolt from some old brakes. So you can spend $16 on a new one and try drilling it yourself. Or expect to spend over $100 on a vintage Suntour in good shape.

Btw the one in your picture is a combination of two different suntour stems.

See the stem on the left? The hole is there for the allen key to adjust the stem bolt. They took the cap off that and added it to the stem on the right.

Last edited by cbrstar; 05-11-21 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 12:50 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Originally Posted by cbrstar
Do you want an actual vintage stem or do you want a cheaper re-pop? There's a couple of options here.

If you want to find a authentic vintage stem: www.bmxmuseum.com It might help putting "Freestyle" as a key word as that was a freestyle modification for rotors.

Your in the US? You can buy modern re-make versions here.

Stems: Quill - BMXGuru.com

Porkchop BMX Quill Stems Old School BMX Bicycle Products

Shafted BMX Stems Archives - Americancycle.com Order BMX Bikes and BMX Parts

I'm not sure how handy you are but BITD it wasn't un common for people to drill and tap the hole themselves, and add the adjuster bolt from some old brakes. So you can spend $16 on a new one and try drilling it yourself. Or expect to spend over $100 on a vintage Suntour in good shape.

Btw the one in your picture is a combination of two different suntour stems.

See the stem on the left? The hole is there for the allen key to adjust the stem bolt. They took the cap off that and added it to the stem on the right.
Great info, thanks for the pic and links! I’m not looking for vintage, just a new or used one that would do the job. Preferably cheap since I’ve got 2 other bike projects that are major refurbs.
Old 05-11-21, 01:41 PM
Wilbur76

Would this gyro part be what I should install to keep my front canti brakes or is this strictly a freestyle bmx part? This 20” mongoose is going for $20 on FB marketplace so I could get it just for that stem.

Old 05-11-21, 03:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
This was known as the "Potts Mod" back in the day, thanks to Steve Potts. You can find a hollow bolt for quill stems on Ebay if you want to try to use your existing stem.
Old 05-12-21, 06:09 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Wilbur76 - don't bother with the gyro, it wouldn't work with canti brakes anyway.

This stem from BMX Guru is exactly what you're looking for, I think.

https://www.bmxguru.com/collections/...le-w-potts-mod
Likes For Viich:
Old 05-12-21, 01:18 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Or this one if you like the style better enough to spend the extra $$$$

https://www.americancycle.com/produc...mx-stem-retro/
Old 05-12-21, 01:50 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Would this gyro part be what I should install to keep my front canti brakes or is this strictly a freestyle bmx part? This 20” mongoose is going for $20 on FB marketplace so I could get it just for that stem.
Just like Vilch says it won't work with canti brakes.

I'll give you a bit of history on the Rotor.

As you can see from the set up tech sheet they originally came with a hanger for the cable. But then someone realized that they could remove the hanger by drilling a hole in the stem and companies started producing them like that. Now what the Mongoose has is called a Gyro and not a rotor. Rotors were finicky to set up as you had to have a long a enough stem and have it at max height for it to work. Gyro's came along which was a much easier system and rotors started to become less popular.

Speculation but I think some MTB's must have remembered the stems that were set up for rotors and realized that you could use it to remove the brake hanger from the headset.

Old 05-12-21, 05:38 PM
Wilbur76

Originally Posted by cbrstar
Just like Vilch says it won't work with canti brakes.

I'll give you a bit of history on the Rotor.

As you can see from the set up tech sheet they originally came with a hanger for the cable. But then someone realized that they could remove the hanger by drilling a hole in the stem and companies started producing them like that. Now what the Mongoose has is called a Gyro and not a rotor. Rotors were finicky to set up as you had to have a long a enough stem and have it at max height for it to work. Gyro's came along which was a much easier system and rotors started to become less popular.

Speculation but I think some MTB's must have remembered the stems that were set up for rotors and realized that you could use it to remove the brake hanger from the headset.

Whoa fantastic pics and great info! I thought my only option was the headset type brake hanger but afraid the cable would be kinked coming into it at a sharp angle. Good to see other ways to route that cable. Thanks.