Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Shingles vaccination - Part II - All done

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Shingles vaccination - Part II - All done

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-19, 09:13 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Jus' thought I'd join the Shingles party; got mine done a couple o' week back along with the 'flu jab; free for the over 70's in UK. I'm not aware of the need for a repeat. Maybe things have moved on; maybe I got the "Superlite (Carbon Fibre) version instead which may offer minimal protection. Who knows? (shrug) Not me!
Googled the thing. "ZOSTAVAX" is what it's called. Once only; might still get shingles but much less severe.

Last edited by peterws; 10-25-19 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-25-19, 09:53 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Jus' thought I'd join the Shingles party; got mine done a couple o' week back along with the 'flu jab; free for the over 70's in UK. I'm not aware of the need for a repeat. Maybe things have moved on; maybe I got the "Superlite (Carbon Fibre) version instead which may offer minimal protection. Who knows? (shrug) Not me!
Googled the thing. "ZOSTAVAX" is what it's called. Once only; might still get shingles but much less severe.
Zostavax is the old vaccination.

Zostavax (zoster vaccine live) was licensed by the FDA in 2006. This vaccine reduces the risk of developing shingles by 51% and PHN by 67%. It is given in one dose as a shot, and can be given in a doctor’s office or pharmacy.
Source: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...vax/index.html

Shingrix is the new one:

Shingrix provides strong protection against shingles and PHN. Two doses of Shingrix is more than 90% effective at preventing shingles and PHN. Protection stays above 85% for at least the first four years after you get vaccinated. Shingrix is the preferred vaccine, over Zostavax® (zoster vaccine live), a shingles vaccine in use since 2006.
Source: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html
Old 10-26-19, 09:46 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Zostavax is the old vaccination.

Zostavax (zoster vaccine live) was licensed by the FDA in 2006. This vaccine reduces the risk of developing shingles by 51% and PHN by 67%. It is given in one dose as a shot, and can be given in a doctor’s office or pharmacy.
Source: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...vax/index.html

Shingrix is the new one:

Shingrix provides strong protection against shingles and PHN. Two doses of Shingrix is more than 90% effective at preventing shingles and PHN. Protection stays above 85% for at least the first four years after you get vaccinated. Shingrix is the preferred vaccine, over Zostavax® (zoster vaccine live), a shingles vaccine in use since 2006.
Source: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html
Lucky you! Mind you, what we get is for free, if you're over 70. £100-200 if you're not! Happy days . . . .
Old 10-26-19, 10:10 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by peterws
Lucky you! Mind you, what we get is for free, if you're over 70. £100-200 if you're not! Happy days . . . .
Free is a good price!
I had the Zostavax several years ago and paid out of my own pocket. I don't recall the price.

I had the Shingrix shots over the past year. It is costly as hell, and in short supply: $150 USD per shot at Costco. I paid full price for the first one. My insurance changed before the 2nd shot, and the new carrier covered 2/3 of the cost.
Old 05-27-21, 02:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Reviving this thread because I've just come down with a bout of shingles. I had shingles when I was in my 20s and was under the impression you could only get it once. I was wrong.

I felt the rash on my right shoulder blade on Saturday. By Sunday it started wrapping around to my chest, plus fatigue and headache. Diagnosed on Monday and the doc put me on valtrex (anti-viral) and prednisone (steroid) plus ibuprofen for the pain, which comes and goes. Learned a new term: lancinating pain, which is a sudden stabbing pain as if you were pierced by a lance. It's made sleep difficult, which has been the worst part of it. Some times I'll have a stretch where I feel perfectly normal and then I'll get a sharp pain under my right nipple.

So, far I believe I have a pretty moderate case, and it still sucks. If you have the opportunity to get the vaccine, please get it. I was going to ask for it at my last physical but I just had a video consult because of the pandemic and I forgot to ask.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-27-21, 03:27 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Hope you get better quickly and it doesn't get worse. Thanks for sharing your experience, perhaps it will motivate some who were hesitant to get vaccinated to get it done.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-27-21, 03:29 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I got vaccinated when I was in my late 50's since it seems to run in my family. Just recently got the Shingrix vax since it is way more effective. Reaction to the Shingrix was really bad but nothing like getting shingles.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 05-27-21, 03:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Reviving this thread because I've just come down with a bout of shingles. I had shingles when I was in my 20s and was under the impression you could only get it once. I was wrong.
Hmm, one of the almost but not quite zombie threads I'm glad to see revived. I've been mulling getting the vaccination for years and never seen this thread. Seeing the comments encourages me more to go ahead do so.

So very glad to see your comments on this. So sorry you had to "take one for the team" so to speak so you'd be able to give first hand account from actual experience with shingles.

I forgot to ask my doc about this too when I was last there.

Is what you've found out now that shingles you can get more than once, but chicken pox which is the same virus you only get once, typically in childhood.

My understanding is the virus remains in your body dormant after chickenpox. For not quite understood reasons it goes active in some people late in life.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-27-21, 04:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I still need to get the vaccine. But, I think I was told it was about $300 per dose (x2). I think I'll shop around some this summer.

I am a little annoyed. When I was a kid, the thought was that everyone should get Chicken Pox. Now we're getting gouged for the vaccine for a disease that could have been prevented 50 years ago.

I see what is supposed to be internet coupons... Perhaps I'll try one.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-27-21, 05:03 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Had a case of Trigeminal Shingles at 52 y/o. I had herpes ulcers from my right ear, across my cheek to the corner of my right eye, and down my jawline to the corner of mouth/lips. At first I thought I had a dental cavity prior to the skin ulcerating. My DDS diagnosed it and the local urgent care PA put me on an anti-viral for a week and I was OK. Did not miss a day of work and managed the pain Okay.

The concern with Trigeminal Shingles is the eye being affected. I was lucky. Only other issue was discoloration on the corner of my mouth. Tried all kinds of creams but it has faded a bit and is not as noticeable.

I was in a high stress job working 70+ hours per week and being on-call 24/7; this is what triggered the shingles breakout.
I have not had a shingles vaccine.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-27-21, 05:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
It can also be bad if it hits the ear.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-27-21, 05:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by Iride01
Hmm, one of the almost but not quite zombie threads I'm glad to see revived. I've been mulling getting the vaccination for years and never seen this thread. Seeing the comments encourages me more to go ahead do so.

So very glad to see your comments on this. So sorry you had to "take one for the team" so to speak so you'd be able to give first hand account from actual experience with shingles.

I forgot to ask my doc about this too when I was last there.

Is what you've found out now that shingles you can get more than once, but chicken pox which is the same virus you only get once, typically in childhood.

My understanding is the virus remains in your body dormant after chickenpox. For not quite understood reasons it goes active in some people late in life.
Right. It is the chicken pox virus, which I had as a kid. After you recover from the symptoms of that infection, the virus remains in your system and can re-express itself as shingles later in life. In my case, I had a bout in law school when I was 25. That was probably due to physical and emotional stress. This time I am 54, and thought I had passed through the stressful times, but there's no predicting these things.
Old 05-27-21, 05:35 PM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I still need to get the vaccine. But, I think I was told it was about $300 per dose (x2). I think I'll shop around some this summer.
$172 at Costco: https://www.costco.com/pharmacy/adul...n-program.html
I changed insurance carriers after the 1st shot.
The new company covered 2/3 of the 2nd shot.
Old 05-27-21, 05:35 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by CliffordK

I am a little annoyed. When I was a kid, the thought was that everyone should get Chicken Pox. Now we're getting gouged for the vaccine for a disease that could have been prevented 50 years ago.

I see what is supposed to be internet coupons... Perhaps I'll try one.
The vaccine was not available till 1995 unfortunately for late BB and GenX.
Old 05-27-21, 06:11 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I'm outside the six month window for my second shot. Doc says the guidance for six months passing is... get the second shot as soon as possible.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-27-21, 06:47 PM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm outside the six month window for my second shot. Doc says the guidance for six months passing is... get the second shot as soon as possible.
Same thing happened to me just because there was a shortage for a while.
Old 05-27-21, 07:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I think it makes a difference in cost and coverage whether you get it in a doctor's office or pharmacy. Pharmacy is way cheaper IME, but check with your insurance. IIRC we once got a shot at the doctor's and the insurance wouldn't pay. My wife's father had it, so she made sure we got it, both shots.
Old 05-28-21, 06:19 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 53 Posts
Medicare pays for the vaccine now but won’t pay what your doctors office charge for giving the injection. Go to a pharmacy and there should be no out of pocket.