Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Old 05-31-20, 10:12 AM
curieux88

Bikes: 1999 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Lemond Fillmore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I’m finally quitting my job to go back for a masters degree. Luckily, the school will be in a major city (Montreal) with great bike culture and great public transit system.

I’m selling my car. I will be a poor grad student, so might as well save the insurance money.

i got to try doing things in town without using my car over the Memorial Day weekend, and it was much easier than I expected.
Likes For curieux88:
Old 06-01-20, 01:26 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Car free and saved a ton of money. (a car here is at least 5x what it costs in the US )

I alternate cycling to work (40mins door to door ) and running home (obviously longer).
Old 06-06-20, 01:16 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Everything is like 40 or 60 miles out one way and 200 the other. Even the cows want a Studebaker.
Yeah, I don't live in this situation but thoroughly understand it.

Summer is here and the weather is it's usual god awful self. I cycle all year round but this time of year.....

One thing I think of when I read these threads is COL. I wonder where some of these folks are located that do this? If it works for you great, but it's awfully tough for many to do this.

I envision leaving the area I have lived in for decades do to COL. I will most likely will live further out and need a car......

Last edited by StarBiker; 06-06-20 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-06-20, 01:18 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Went super car lite for a few years, and it worked pretty well where I was. Still used my van for some of the more obvious purposes.
Never had a thing against cars (philosophically, if I want folks to accept me and my choices, I reciprocate), but *do* have a problem with people who choose not to get along and play well with others... no matter what their mode of transport.
Sounds like most large Suburbs.
Old 06-07-20, 02:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Since I sometimes get someone to drive me somewhere I'm not really car-free though I don't own or rent a car. I do 99% of all my in person purchasing via a bicycle including grocery shopping.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-12-20, 11:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Here made a car free commitment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

This another seeking a support group thread?

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-08-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 09:31 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I am 44 and never have owned a car. I happen to enjoy biking, walking, and taking the bus/train. I do take an uber 3~4 times a year after I go to the pub.
Old 07-22-20, 10:03 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
I haven't posted here in a while since I moved on to other interests, but I am carfree now. Modern cars are so overloaded with expensive and fragile electronics that they are permanently priced out of my budget. With various injuries I can't do more than 10 miles in a day, so I ride the recumbent for short trips and a diamond frame to bus stops for longer trips.
Old 08-07-20, 06:35 AM
chaapa 

Bikes: Helkama Saana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All very interesting. I wish I knew where you all live. I used to live in Southeastern Massachusetts and only dreamed of being car free. But even with a car every trip was at least 10 miles, often more. Work was 58 highway miles one way. I retired 3 years ago and moved to Tampere, Finland, where my husband and I decided to go car-free. We sold our cars andinvested our money in a nicer apartment.. This city is planned for living like this. Buses run regularly. Every major road has a separate light traffic path for pedestrians and cyclists. We have a car-sharing program in the neighborhood where I could rent a car by the hour if needed. Annual unlimited bus passes cost $400. It's easy here, but I could only wish that every place wasps well planned for living like this.
Old 08-07-20, 08:29 AM
matthewbarnhart

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't consider it a "commitment" so much as a conscious lifestyle choice.

7+ years ago, I moved from a college town in North Texas to Chicago. I sold my car and now bike 99% of the time. I'll take transit, Lyft, or rent a car/truck as-needed. I chose to live in a neighborhood that was an easy commute to work by bike, and also had good transit accessibility.

Aside from the pleasure I get from riding a bike, I've saved over US$30,000 vs. owning a car. One of the best decisions I ever made.
Likes For matthewbarnhart:
Old 08-23-20, 10:46 AM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Commute is 9 miles one way. Have been bike commuting since COVID. But household has 2 EV's and excess solar panels. Don't want to give that up just yet.

Last edited by burritos; 10-10-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 09:13 AM
hugorodrigo23

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I sold my car in january, I wasn't using it enough to justify the cost of having it. I bike commute to work every day because her in México city is a lot faster than a car or public transportation. I live very close to a supermarket so I can walk to shop groceries. I have 3 bikes, a fast carbon road bike, a very light carbon hybrid bike, and an ebike, so I have the perfect one for any day/road/distance. I'm single with no kids, so that helps to my car free life.
Likes For hugorodrigo23:
Old 10-21-20, 04:42 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I did do without a car for about a decade, but then family started getting older and getting back to visit the villages where they still have family was difficult. Now my car sits outside all week, except for a weekly shopping trip. I don't really know where to go from here.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 05-26-21, 12:16 PM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by curieux88
I’m finally quitting my job to go back for a masters degree. Luckily, the school will be in a major city (Montreal) with great bike culture and great public transit system.

I’m selling my car. I will be a poor grad student, so might as well save the insurance money.

i got to try doing things in town without using my car over the Memorial Day weekend, and it was much easier than I expected.
If it's like where I went to college probably get free bus fare with student ID + campus parking is like $5 a day, so win/win
Old 05-28-21, 07:18 PM
Alligator

Bikes: Too many. I’m constantly selling and buying new bikes.

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I changed jobs earlier this year, and now have a commute that is only ~3 miles (5 kilometers). I’ve been biking to work every day for several months now in all weather conditions, and have only driven a car when my entire family is going someplace a significant distance away. I told my wife she can have my car, and she has actually started driving it. This means we can sell her car shortly. I’m hoping that soon we will be down to one car, and then in a few years, we will move to Europe and be completely car free. I’m making progress, but it has been slower than I’d like.