Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tired vs dead components. Tipping point?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tired vs dead components. Tipping point?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 08:26 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
I truly appreciate the input from everyone.

I took the derailleur off to have a look. One of the jockey wheels is sloppy and the tension spring for those cogs isn’t providing enough tension on the chain. There are additional locating holes for the pointy end of the tension spring in case my situation arises (thx Tullio!) but getting it all back together as it was previously was a challenge so I need to have a think. Both derailleurs may get retired to the “special parts” box and I suspect I’ll be doing a lot of searching for early 70s Japanese mechs. Suntour Cyclones look (kind of) appropriate….
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 07-23-21, 09:38 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
I have a Campagnolo SR rear derailleur that looks basically new, but was totally funky on the shifts. After much frustration, I discovered that one of the parallelogram pivot pins would back out occasionally and it was just enough to allow a slight collapse/twist of the assembly.

Another thing, as we age we tend to want to go bigger on the rear and start running things either borderline or to the point of poor and incorrect function.

I would make sure that everything checks out mechanically in the entire system to include the shifters/cable and then perhaps get back into the then designed gear range of the component. I would go "smaller" (and closer) in the rear. The 10 tooth difference in the front taxes those vintage rear derailleurs to a pretty large degree already, not to mention the the stuff going down in the back room. Give the vintage drivetrain a chance!
Old 07-23-21, 02:05 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Omigosh, I'm not a real C&V'er, I guess, as I've never seen that Legnano badge before. Crap, I'd give you lots of money just for that. It's beautiful.

Sorry, no input on the original RD question, I just really like that badge.
Likes For Chinghis:
Old 07-23-21, 02:28 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I agree with all of the above points about clean pivots, good spring tension, and smooth-running pulleys. The early version steel pulleys like you have are adjustable and their little balls benefit from a bit of fresh grease.

I've had very good luck getting Record derailleurs to shift a 14/28 freewheel, but there is a definite technique to shifting a Record or Nuovo Record derailleur, especially with Regina or other straight-tooth cogs. When shifting to a larger cog you slightly overshift, then almost instantly trim back to where the chair runs smoothly. This becomes second nature after a few dozen shifts.
Brent
Old 07-23-21, 03:43 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
It depends on what skills you have, what your willing to put into the part and how much value it may have sentimental or otherwise.

I have been watching Paul Brodie videos. He has the skills to repair damn near any bike part (human powered or engine powered). The Nukeproof hub that he repaired was, a lot of work. I don't know how many people in this world that would want to do that. I would have tossed it in the garbage. I think that Mr. Brodie has mastered his machining skills enough that doing these repairs is just fun for him. And it doesn't hurt that guys like me will subscribe to his channel, which brings a little income to the Paul and Mitch show.

On the other end of the spectrum, would be someone that buys a new or better condition old part and saves the time and effort for something else. Maybe riding.
Old 07-23-21, 04:48 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
…there is a definite technique to shifting a Record or Nuovo Record derailleur, especially with Regina or other straight-tooth cogs. When shifting to a larger cog you slightly overshift, then almost instantly trim back to where the chair runs smoothly. This becomes second nature after a few dozen shifts.
Brent
As awkward as I was phrasing it in my original post, this is the sort of info I was looking for. I often come back to cars since they have occupied a HUGE part of my life but shifting an old Alfa Romeo quickly from 1st to 2nd gets you a nasty crunch. You learn to live with it.

Originally Posted by Chinghis
Omigosh, I'm not a real C&V'er, I guess, as I've never seen that Legnano badge before. Crap, I'd give you lots of money just for that. It's beautiful.

Sorry, no input on the original RD question, I just really like that badge.
Those of us who own the bikes love the badge too! FWIW - one of those badges can cost quite a few lira.

Last edited by RustyJames; 07-23-21 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-24-21, 09:12 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I take it pretty far. By the time I get to the point of DXing a component its is FUBAR.
You win!

86? Supposedly some weird, obscure restaurant code for 1 restaurant? Right. Not.

Deep Six? How does that make any sense?

How about a phrase literally MILLIONS of GIs were/are familiar with....

It's DX. Direct Exchange. Get rid of the bad one and replace with a new one. Often used as just "get rid of."

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: