Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This tubeless mounting technique worked for me

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-23-21, 01:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

I was able to get the bead on the shelf about 3/4 the way around and get the beads seated with a regular floor pump without even taking out the valve core.

My tires: (new) Panaracer GK SK 700x50
My rims: (new) WTB KOM Tough 700x25

Thanks Syd and Macky.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-23-21, 02:14 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Compared to using shop air or a $20 tyre booster, that looks really exhausting plus you need an expensive tyre lever.
Old 06-23-21, 03:31 PM
freetors

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
My panaracer gravelking slicks require this technique. Even blasting air from a big air compressor can't get the beads seated because the tire is just too floppy. Alternatively, I can install the tire with a tube, air up to seat the beads, and then carefully break the bead on just one side and remove the tube.
Likes For freetors:
Old 06-23-21, 03:31 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Compared to using shop air or a $20 tyre booster, that looks really exhausting plus you need an expensive tyre lever.
Only the best tire levers for me.
Old 06-23-21, 03:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
daisy chain the valve from a really large SUV to the tubeless wheel. Let the heavy vehicle pow that air right in the kisser. It might work, but that's entertainment for someone else to find out.
Old 06-23-21, 04:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Best part of the video is at 2:40. "Why do we even have this?"
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-23-21, 07:31 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo

I'm pretty sure in the video she says this is not the fastest way, but an alternative way.
Old 06-24-21, 02:36 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
1. Buy a $90 6 gallon compressor. I got mine (Porter Cable) on sale from Amazon during prime days several year ago,also useful for inflating car tires and running tools
2. Buy a $20 Prestaflator clone, good ones are widely available these days (or buy the real one for $60 like I did)
3. Mount the valve, push down hard on the top with your thumb while tightening the nut. Carefully give it another quarter turn with a pair of pliers if you need to.
4. Get the most of the bead into the center trough of the rim, spray the remaining bead you need to mount with counter cleaner or whatever is handy to make it easier to mount, lever them on if you need to
5. Spray the bead down again to form a better temporary seal
6. Set the regulator to maybe 40 lbs to start, if that doesn't work, slowly increase the pressure until it does. Don't go higher than recommended max of tire.
7. Let off the pressure as soon as the beads pop. Check beads carefully with flashlight to make sure they are seated properly (using molded line on tire).
8. Pour sealant in through valve stem using one of the 2oz bottles Stan's sells (I refill and reuse the bottle from a bulk supply of sealant).
9. Reinstall valve core.
10. Inflate tire.
11. Slosh sealant around in tire until you can't hear any more leaks. Wipe the inevitable few drops on sealant on the floor up.
12. Take bike around the block quickly.

I've done probably 12 tubeless setups at this point. Road, MTB, gravel, fat. I've never had any problem with the above process, works with any tire/rim combo I've tried. The last full setup I did (gravel bike, 50mm Gravelkings SKs on inexpensive OEM rims) took maybe 20 minutes of work total for both wheels and has held air for months. Two nights ago, I cleaned and retaped an Enve SES with Scotch 8898 and remounted a tire in maybe 10 minutes flat. I've found tubeless is a matter of confidence: if you BELIEVE the tire will mount, it will.
Old 08-24-21, 11:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Circling back to this. I tried this, friends, with a new Panaracer Gravelking+ (43mm) and a WTB ST TCS rim (i23mm). I was at home swapping tires. And it sucked! It was really difficult. I gave up and dug out the compressor. I think it would be a lot easier on a MTB tire than on a gravel bike tire, because it would help to have more shelf before the bead seat and more tire to tug on.

My flat approach is still darts and more sealant but it gave me something to think about. If you plan to take the tire off in the field, you need a tube.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-24-21 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-24-21, 11:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
I use a compressor to seat the tires. It is a snap.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-25-21, 03:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
I use a Topeak booster track pump, which works every time for me. Stubborn tyres that refuse to seat after a couple of blasts are usually leaking from one spot on the rim. All you do then is find the spot where the leak is, and push down on it with the palm of your hand while you blast it again. Then they usually pop into place. I've never had to resort to any other method in the last 20 years of running tubeless. Before I had a booster pump I always managed to get by with a normal track pump and a bit of soapy water. But I finally got defeated by a stubborn road tubeless tyre that refused to seat - solved by the booster pump.
Old 08-25-21, 05:54 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve always used that method - it’s easy and works as long as the tire has been unfolded and had a chance to take shape. Same method with a bump of CO2 will get you back rolling if you break a seal on a ride. Replace CO2 with pump air when you get home. She does a good job of demonstrating it.
Old 08-25-21, 06:43 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Or you could just go with Mavic UST. No compressor required. Very easy. I've done it several times on our three road bikes.