Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

shipping a bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-21, 06:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I shipped one on Thursday/Friday last week from VA to Texas. It arrived on Monday. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I put everything in there for the ride. 48lbs of bike stuff. $81 and some change via Shipbikes. not bad.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-27-21, 07:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I shipped one on Thursday/Friday last week from VA to Texas. It arrived on Monday. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I put everything in there for the ride. 48lbs of bike stuff. $81 and some change via Shipbikes. not bad.
Considering price increases, definitely not bad. In fact, damn good.
Old 08-30-21, 09:09 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Considering price increases, definitely not bad. In fact, damn good.
I thought so. Packed it back up yesterday morning. It's being dropped off today for the return service. I'd give Shipbikes.com a 5 out of 5.
Old 08-30-21, 09:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seypat
I thought so. Packed it back up yesterday morning. It's being dropped off today for the return service. I'd give Shipbikes.com a 5 out of 5.
After my most recent experiences with Bikeflights, I am definitely going to try Shipbikes if I ever get another opportunity. It sounds like what Bikefligths used to be before they got so "corporate."
Old 08-30-21, 09:36 AM
seypat

Reflecting on my experience, I think the key is packing the bike yourself. There are videos online of how to do it. Don't leave it up to someone else or you could be disappointed.
Old 08-30-21, 09:47 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
You're right to try to find an appropriate box from your LBS, and make sure you get all the packing pieces with it.

If you have a Greyhound bus station on both ends, that is a fantastic shipping method. You have to take it to the bus station and then pick it up on the other end, but they are fantastic for handling larger packages that need to be handled carefully, probably because they go in the belly of the bus and usually don't get handled at all until the final stop. Their prices are much cheaper than UPS or FEDEX.
Old 11-23-21, 07:22 AM
regfman

Bikes: dahon - S7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
As a followup to the original question: I used Shipbikes to send two bikes from California to Florida. That was a few months ago so I forget the exact price but it was about $85 each, maybe a few bucks more, door to door. Not bad.
Old 11-25-21, 08:49 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
My one experience: Trek store in Georgetown, excellent. The wrapped and packed my bike in a bike box, lots of padding, they even marked where the seat post emerged from the seat tube.
Bikeflights, not so good. Their website was difficult to navigate. There is evidently a trick involving entering a city as destination then editing the destination before finalizing the transaction.
In the end, the bike shop did it. About $90.00 each for packing and shipping from DC to Vermont.
Old 11-25-21, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
My one experience: Trek store in Georgetown, excellent. The wrapped and packed my bike in a bike box, lots of padding, they even marked where the seat post emerged from the seat tube.
Bikeflights, not so good. Their website was difficult to navigate. There is evidently a trick involving entering a city as destination then editing the destination before finalizing the transaction.
In the end, the bike shop did it. About $90.00 each for packing and shipping from DC to Vermont.
Bikeflights used to be good before it got all “corporate” and switched from FedEx to UPS. Last time I used it (2019) I was trying to buy return shipping near the end of a tour. Their website wouldn’t recognize the zip code of the REI in Missoula, MT, where the bike was to be picked up from. Could not get anyone on the phone so I finally just entered the zip code that the website wanted to use. Fortunately, everything worked out, but it was a PITA because I needed to keep moving rather than sit in front of a library computer trying to work things out.
Old 11-25-21, 05:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I used Shipbikes earlier this month to ship a bike using a box with packaging materials from a local shop. I got a detrailleur guard and a brace for the front forks which was a plus. Took me all day to get it properly protected and ready to ship. Bike Flights as a useful PDF showing how to pack a bike. Much lower price from Shipbikes for my shipment and it was picked up at my house by FedEx and delivered a couple days later. Insurance was also very reasonable from Shipbikes.