Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crashed - who screwed up?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-14-21, 04:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Every bike should be Factory equipped with a proximity sensor that rings a bell, honks a horn and shots loudly "I AM APPROACHING YOU TO PASS YOU SO STAY OUT OF MY WAY"

Would like to see the WRITTEN STATUTE mentioning that the overtaking bicycle rider MUST ANNOUNCE. Pretty cool if that was the "RULES OF THE ROAD" for vehicles. Here a HONK, There a HONK, everywhere a HONK-HONK
I already posted the Illinois "written statute.". No thanks on the car rule.
Old 09-14-21, 04:56 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I already posted the Illinois "written statute.". No thanks on the car rule.
I found the following that you posted and was wondering if it is what you are referring to?

... Sec. 11-1512. Bicycles on sidewalks. (a) A person propelling a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk, or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, shall yield the right of way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian....

The statute states " ... shall yield the right of way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian... " but does not mention coming upon another bicycle.
Is that reference elsewhere and I just did not see it?

TIA
Old 09-14-21, 05:31 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Bluetooth doesn't work that way. No one would want it to work that way.
You would need a new BT protocol where you add an extra mode to allow emergency broadcasts or something like that with a opt-in/out option.
Old 09-14-21, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I found the following that you posted and was wondering if it is what you are referring to?

... Sec. 11-1512. Bicycles on sidewalks. (a) A person propelling a bicycle upon and along a sidewalk, or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, shall yield the right of way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian....

The statute states " ... shall yield the right of way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian... " but does not mention coming upon another bicycle.
Is that reference elsewhere and I just did not see it?

TIA
It also states that bicyclists on sidewalks have the same rights and responsibilities as pedestrians. As a cyclist on a sidewalk, therefore, you have a right to have other cyclists announce their passes. I already laid this out once in this thread (post 117), so I'm going to pass on any more cross examination from you on this. If you have further questions, read my previous posts. I'm done.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-14-21 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-14-21, 06:49 AM
ShelterIslJoe

Bikes: Cannondale touring, Giant mountain, Mooney custom built road, Confente track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Why take the chance

Rather than trying to assign blame, think about accident avoidance. Whenever I approach another cyclist, they know I'm there maybe 20-30 feet before. Then I give wide bearth. It maybe a bit overkill but roadrash and destroyed equipment are preventable with some heads up riding.
Likes For ShelterIslJoe:
Old 09-14-21, 07:11 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
You would need a new BT protocol where you add an extra mode to allow emergency broadcasts or something like that with a opt-in/out option.
​​​​​Sounds like a terrible idea.

No one would opt-in and it's too easily abused.

Imagine what "fun" it would be to be able to use this feature in an airplane.

You'd also have no idea where the noise originated from (making it mostly useless).

​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-14-21 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-14-21, 09:33 AM
mwaldin

Bikes: Cross over REI City 1.2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I think you need to brush up on your rules of the road. The vehicle being overtaken has right of way. You have no one to blame but yourself.
You are very much at fault. Rules of the road are to announce to the rider in front that you are passing them on the left. Not good. That said, you are not in a group by yourself. I am often passed by experienced bikers that don't practice this.
Old 09-14-21, 10:04 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
​​​​​Sounds like a terrible idea.

No one would opt-in and it's too easily abused.

Imagine what "fun" it would be to be able to use this feature in an airplane.

You'd also have no idea where the noise originated from (making it mostly useless).

​​​​
Are you saying people are basically jerks? How disappointing.
Old 09-14-21, 10:18 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Are you saying people are basically jerks? How disappointing.
You only need a few jerks to spoil things.
Old 09-14-21, 12:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
You only need a few jerks to spoil things.
Prime example - the hassle required prior to boarding a commercial airplane as a result of the actions of an infinitesimally small number of jerks. It used to be flying was an enjoyable way to travel; now not so much.
Old 09-15-21, 08:28 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You were going too slow. If you passed him at 20mph, you would have been long gone when he did the u turn.
Old 09-15-21, 03:31 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Crashed - who screwed up.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think if I rode on a MUP I would have a bell and use it often. Easy to see how you could collide with a random U turn.
I agree and it is the law. A bell gets attention. Courtesy would be to say which side you are on. Also breaking the I am silent and invisible rule. Which is: Always consider that you are always silent and invisible.
Old 09-15-21, 03:35 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I'd say 90% their fault, 10% your fault. Unless there is evidence to the contrary, I assume everyone that I pass is a complete moron and announce my passing.
^^^^ This....

...plus I always slow down and use caution anyway. I always assume I'm about to encounter someone who's about to do something dumb.

I've had joggers pull that crap on me. On an MUP/MUT very recently there was an older couple I was coming up on from behind as I was coming down off a freeway overcrossing (so my speed might have been up above a bit over normal). About 10 yards away I announced my presence ("On your left" or, maybe, it was "Bike on your left!"). They appeared to move to the right...for a moment. The husband (I assume), moved across the trail in front of me to get over to a side trail. Unsafe move but not critical. If that wasn't bad enough, at the last possible moment he reached over, grabbed his wife and pulled her across right in front of me. If I hadn't assumed this guy was about to do something stupid I wouldn't have swerved at that last moment and all 3 of us would have gone down. Someone(s) would have been severely hurt.

This was in the SF Bay Area where people are supposed to be intelligent. However, doesn't matter race, color, religion, gender, etc. etc. people do stupid things and lack the common sense to avoid creating risky and hazardous situations.

Like I imply (or is that "infer") in my signature...always assume the worst possible thing and make alternate plans to avoid that outcome.

Last edited by stephr1; 09-15-21 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 03:37 PM
Lawrence Rhodes

Bikes: Steintrike Explorer. Trek full suspension Mountain bike. Trek FuelX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Consider that anyone on a bike with at least one foot on the ground is a pedestrian. They automatically have right of way.
Old 09-15-21, 04:00 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Constantly complaining about things that will not change is pointless.
Old 09-19-21, 06:46 PM
1984trek760

Bikes: '84 Trek 760, '87 Torelli TreTubi, ‘86 Schwinn Peloton, Ritchey Breakaway, Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You aren’t at fault

Originally Posted by mwaldin
You are very much at fault. Rules of the road are to announce to the rider in front that you are passing them on the left. Not good. That said, you are not in a group by yourself. I am often passed by experienced bikers that don't practice this.
The other guy did a u-turn in front of you without looking. He’s at fault.

I had the same exact thing happen to me on a motorcycle and a car decided to do a U-turn with a fake to parallel park. He was 100% at fault.

Last edited by 1984trek760; 09-19-21 at 06:51 PM.
Likes For 1984trek760:
Old 09-20-21, 02:18 PM
charlie_boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tricky.
Old 09-28-21, 11:16 AM
Brian Marshall

Bikes: 2014 Trek X Caliber 8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have been riding long enough to know that you can't always trust that other riders or even pedestrians:
1 )hear you
2) understand you
3) know what you want them to do
4) will do it in a timely manner
So always slow down when approaching others, be verbal with your intentions, give plenty of time for others to react and always expect the worst. It is both parties responsibility to avoid a collision
Old 09-28-21, 11:24 AM
Brian Marshall

Bikes: 2014 Trek X Caliber 8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrence Rhodes
I agree and it is the law. A bell gets attention. Courtesy would be to say which side you are on. Also breaking the I am silent and invisible rule. Which is: Always consider that you are always silent and invisible.
A bell is a good thing to have, but it does not let someone in front of you know your intentions, just that you are behind them. Being verbal is a must!
Old 09-28-21, 01:36 PM
ShelterIslJoe

Bikes: Cannondale touring, Giant mountain, Mooney custom built road, Confente track

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Be Smart

In any accident there are always two at fault - the lug who did the unexpected, as well as the other rider who did not anticipate, prepare, or leave enough time or space to avoid it. Conclusion: Be Smart . . . or be sore! Right or wrong doesn't mean much after you are down.
Likes For ShelterIslJoe:
Old 09-28-21, 02:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ShelterIslJoe
In any accident there are always two at fault - the lug who did the unexpected, as well as the other rider who did not anticipate, prepare, or leave enough time or space to avoid it. Conclusion: Be Smart . . . or be sore! Right or wrong doesn't mean much after you are down.
That's simplistic. There are actions that can't be predicted at all, and that leave no room for avoidance at any speed. The only way to be 100% safe would be to never pass anyone on a path. I don't think "never pass anyone" is a reasonable precaution to expect people to make.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-28-21, 06:49 PM
ShelterIslJoe

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Passing on a Path

OK, you got me! Trail riding, especially steep narrow paths are problematic. Recognize then for what they are -DANGER, A HUGE RISK AHEAD. If you are racing, assess the risk. But if you are pleasure or group riding, think about what you can do to be safe.
Old 09-29-21, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ShelterIslJoe
OK, you got me! Trail riding, especially steep narrow paths are problematic. Recognize then for what they are -DANGER, A HUGE RISK AHEAD. If you are racing, assess the risk. But if you are pleasure or group riding, think about what you can do to be safe.
So, just to be clear, the incident described in this thread occurred on a paved rail trail, not a steep narrow path. There is literally no way to position yourself or a speed at which you can definitely avoid a collision with an unexpected u-turn. It is why I always announce my passes, and even then I'm subject to the problem of the headphones wearing pedestrian or rider. I had a near miss last night with a jogger in just this situation and fortunately I had slowed my speed enough for the pass so I was able to stop within inches of where we would have collided. I was also at the far edge of the passing lane, but she had managed to cut me off anyway. Had she done this while riding a bike, I would have no idea how fast she was going to make the uturn and would not have been able to gauge ahead my speed to reduce to in order to preserve enough braking time.

I will say that my impression of the OP incident is that it occurred at a time the OP thought the other rider was ending her ride. I've found through experience that these are the people it's most important to announce my presence to because people tend to let their guard down when they're going very slow or idling and act like they're on a regular sidewalk.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-04-21, 06:58 AM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Marshall
A bell is a good thing to have, but it does not let someone in front of you know your intentions, just that you are behind them. Being verbal is a must!
yes! I totally agree.
Old 10-04-21, 07:17 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
Regardless of signaling, who moves to the right to turn left or do a u turn . . . ?
Is there another way to turn? Plus, MUPs are usually narrow.

I ding my bell when passing other cyclists but many have music in their ears and do not hear me. MUPS are dangerous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.