Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

a couple of cool finds today :)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-16-21, 07:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

found a red one like this in damn fine shape at the thrift store for $5.....

and, i found one of these for $4.50....practically new at the same thrift
https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-.../dp/B00ASSR020

lastley, some moderately used SKS transparent black chromoplast fenders for $4 something. can't find a web image for them, though. i really need to make a way to take some pics. i guess i should'a looked for a gently used digital cam while i was there...haha

anyway, pretty jazzed about the stuff...namely that hat. can anyone say much about it in terms of ...i dunno..."vintagability"???...for lack of a better word...pffth

and, i thought the rack was for a spare tire mounting, but apparently not. gotta try find a way to make it work as such.
Old 09-17-21, 05:55 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Thanks for the pic Thooky! Smiles, MH
Old 09-17-21, 06:47 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Thanks for the pic Thooky! Smiles, MH
well, the pic ain't mine. it's a web image. but!! yer welcome, MH!! <<cheers>> and, thanks for the reply. i'm super jazzed about the hat since my nutcase needs to be glued. the vetta just needs a few pads replaced. i think it'll be cooler in the hot weather, too
Old 09-18-21, 05:30 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i'm super jazzed about the hat since my nutcase needs to be glued.
I do hope you're talking about something on a bike vice, well . . . . (smile)
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-18-21, 08:48 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Hondo6
I do hope you're talking about something on a bike vice, well . . . . (smile)
lol....my nutcase = nutcase bike helmet. i got one several years ago. it's taken a couple of moderate knocks from the pavement (with my head in it) and the inner liner has detached. it's safe enough to glue it back together. i just haven't done it, yet. need to get the right kinda glue
Old 09-18-21, 09:21 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
lol....my nutcase = nutcase bike helmet. i got one several years ago. it's taken a couple of moderate knocks from the pavement (with my head in it) and the inner liner has detached. it's safe enough to glue it back together. i just haven't done it, yet. need to get the right kinda glue
If it were me, I'd replace it. Modern bike helmets are designed to protect your head by compressing (crushing) to absorb impact instead of letting your head do so instead. The foam liner is what gets compressed - and after it's been compressed, it doesn't work as well the next time around.

I believe the normal recommendation is to replace it after any significant impact. If it's been struck hard enough (or often enough) to detach the liner, maybe it's time to retire it.

A new helmet can be pretty cheap; concussions (or worse) are no fun. I wouldn't risk it. But it's your head, so it's your call.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-18-21 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Add info and change wording
Old 09-18-21, 10:05 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Hondo6
If it were me, I'd replace it. Modern bike helmets are designed to protect your head by compressing (crushing) to absorb impact instead of letting your head do so instead. The foam liner is what gets compressed - and after it's been compressed, it doesn't work as well the next time around.

I believe the normal recommendation is to replace it after any significant impact. If it's been struck hard enough (or often enough) to detach the liner, maybe it's time to retire it.

A new helmet can be pretty cheap; concussions (or worse) are no fun. I wouldn't risk it. But it's your head, so it's your call.
new helmets are not exactly cheap, imo. unless you find them at thrift stores

i appreciate the concern, but really there's nothing to risk. nothing is cracked or crushed. the liner simply detached. subpar gluing and quality control likely. or, the glue had gotten weak from the heat and all it took was a knock to make it come loose. and, it wasn't even that hard of a knock. believe me...if it really looked the helmet was done, i'd not hesitate to toss it. i looked it up online for guidelines after the incident and liner detaching is not uncommon.
Old 09-18-21, 12:36 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,045 Times in 1,252 Posts
Oddly, I can't see the helmet image.

FYI, there's some very decent Giro helmets under $100 and they are very comfy. I bought my wife a new one this year and she loves it.
Old 09-18-21, 02:13 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by clubman
Oddly, I can't see the helmet image.

FYI, there's some very decent Giro helmets under $100 and they are very comfy. I bought my wife a new one this year and she loves it.
you can't? that's weird. it appears to be gone. try again....

to be honest, anywhere around $100....that's still expensive to me. i greatly splurged when i got the nutcase. it was around $80, as i recall. and, that was on year end closeout. i wanted a helmet with excellent safety and comfort reviews, one that didn't look space age, and one big enough for my skull. 7 5/8" is my hat size. i see giro's frequently at the thrift stores, though. i saw a very vintage one at the thrift a few months ago. i shoulda gotten it, but..meh...now i have the vetta
Old 09-18-21, 03:34 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,045 Times in 1,252 Posts
Yeah, I rode V1-Pro's when they were the rage. But I've also hit the ground so hard wearing a helmet that it caused vertigo. You can't put a price on your head yet I'm wrong to post this here. It's verboten and the comment belongs in A&S.
Apologies.
Old 09-18-21, 05:02 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by clubman
Yeah, I rode V1-Pro's when they were the rage. But I've also hit the ground so hard wearing a helmet that it caused vertigo. You can't put a price on your head yet I'm wrong to post this here. It's verboten and the comment belongs in A&S.
Apologies.
what are you on about, clubman? wrong? what are you apologizing about?
Old 09-18-21, 05:02 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
you can't? that's weird. it appears to be gone. try again....

to be honest, anywhere around $100....that's still expensive to me. i greatly splurged when i got the nutcase. it was around $80, as i recall. and, that was on year end closeout. i wanted a helmet with excellent safety and comfort reviews, one that didn't look space age, and one big enough for my skull. 7 5/8" is my hat size. i see giro's frequently at the thrift stores, though. i saw a very vintage one at the thrift a few months ago. i shoulda gotten it, but..meh...now i have the vetta
A yellow Vetta was my first helmet back in 1986. I tossed it a several years ago after my daughter used it with a cantaloupe inside for a bike safety demonstration. The melon with the helmet was fine, the other one, not so much.
Old 09-18-21, 05:04 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Pompiere
A yellow Vetta was my first helmet back in 1986. I tossed it a several years ago after my daughter used it with a cantaloupe inside for a bike safety demonstration. The melon with the helmet was fine, the other one, not so much.
so, you're saying it's a good helmet?