Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rockbros sucker rack

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rockbros sucker rack

Old 10-04-20, 06:55 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Rockbros sucker rack

Any experience? Positives/negatives? It's ~$120 less than a Seasucker; Prime shipping; and returns until Jan 2021. Is this a good area to save some coin, or is this a terrible idea to "cheap out" on? [straps muli-thousand dollar bike using $180 bike mount] 😄
Old 10-04-20, 11:42 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Any experience? Positives/negatives? It's ~$120 less than a Seasucker; Prime shipping; and returns until Jan 2021. Is this a good area to save some coin, or is this a terrible idea to "cheap out" on? [straps muli-thousand dollar bike using $180 bike mount] 😄
I've got a few things from Rockbros: grips, bottle cages, glasses... all are decent quality. However there's no way I would mount my bike on such a contraption, Rockbros or not.

A proper bike rack is not that expensive.
Old 10-05-20, 07:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
No experience, but with the visual suction indicators and a bit of redundancy, I wouldn't be too worried. I mean, I'd still be a little nervous the first time around, and I'd be somewhat OCD about checking on the indicators any time that I used it, but I'd still use it if I couldn't use a conventional rack.
Old 10-05-20, 12:57 PM
Princess_Allez

I've been using the strap-on Allen, trunk bike rack, but since the addition of deep section wheels the bike flutters and slaps the trunk. I use bungee cords to hold the bike frame to the mount, as well as to hold the front wheel steady. At freeway speeds it still moves around. I figure having the bike inline with the wind, and tethered by the fork dropout, would steady the bike.

As stated by Whyfi, the redundancy in the front suction cups helps alleviate worry, and I would double-triple check the suction cups anytime I make a stop. I've scoured the web for negative reviews and I've only found one or two, where someone claimed the aluminum base plate cracked or that the suction cups cracked their windshield.
Old 10-05-20, 02:34 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Why not a tried and true 1upusa or Kuat nv?
Likes For Elvo:
Old 10-05-20, 04:21 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Definitely a bad idea! I'd spend for a Sea Sucker if it's really worth it(I wouldn't use a suction rack,IMO).
Old 10-05-20, 05:24 PM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Rockbros sucker rack. No complaints - only mod I did was a bit of threadlocker on the bolts. Make sure the roof and suction cups are clean and you shouldn't have an issue. Check the indicators at every stop, though.
I haven't take it on a 500+ mile journey, but I did take it around the I275 loop of Cincinnati - about 90 miles. I stopped once and everything was holding as it should.

Old 10-05-20, 06:22 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by jad3675
I have a Rockbros sucker rack. No complaints - only mod I did was a bit of threadlocker on the bolts. Make sure the roof and suction cups are clean and you shouldn't have an issue. Check the indicators at every stop, though.
I haven't take it on a 500+ mile journey, but I did take it around the I275 loop of Cincinnati - about 90 miles. I stopped once and everything was holding as it should.
They suggest using a silicone spray as an adhesion promoter. I've also seen videos of people using water. Do you use either one of these methods?
Old 10-05-20, 06:24 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by Elvo
Why not a tried and true 1upusa or Kuat nv?
I just took a quick look at those items. The 1upusa is sold out until Nov and has a higher associated cost. The Kuat nv uses a tow hitch, which isn't something I'm looking for. I like the idea of suction cup mounts because of its versatility and ease of transport.
Old 10-05-20, 06:47 PM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
They suggest using a silicone spray as an adhesion promoter. I've also seen videos of people using water. Do you use either one of these methods?
I just use water on the cup.

John
Old 10-05-20, 08:07 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Definitely a bad idea! I'd spend for a Sea Sucker if it's really worth it(I wouldn't use a suction rack,IMO).
+1

I've seen one fail. YMMV
Old 10-05-20, 08:46 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

I've seen one fail. YMMV
like catastrophic fail? In person?
Old 10-06-20, 06:43 AM
noodle soup

like catastrophic fail? In person?
The rear suction cup released on a short ride.
Old 10-06-20, 07:27 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I have a Rockbros sucker rack. No complaints - only mod I did was a bit of threadlocker on the bolts. Make sure the roof and suction cups are clean and you shouldn't have an issue. Check the indicators at every stop, though
If that's true, that would be a deal breaker for me right there. No way I'm going to be forced to clean my vehicle's roof every time I use a bike rack, or face the possibility of rack failure.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-06-20, 07:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
+1

I've seen one fail. YMMV
+2. Not a chance in hell I'd use a suction-based rack. IIRC, there is a relatively recent thread somewhere on BF from a guy whose Sea Sucker rack failed at highway speed.
Old 10-06-20, 09:09 AM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
If that's true, that would be a deal breaker for me right there. No way I'm going to be forced to clean my vehicle's roof every time I use a bike rack, or face the possibility of rack failure.
Well, not the entire roof. I just wipe down the area where the cups go with a wet cloth. Takes 5 seconds and helps with the sucking.

John
Old 10-06-20, 09:13 AM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The rear suction cup released on a short ride.
Yes, the single rear cup can be a point of failure, but I think they take that into account. It would be easy enough to design a mount with two cups for a single bike, but they don't.
Even if it fails what's the worst that happens? There's still friction between the cup and the roof so it shouldn't slide around too much. If you hit a bump, maybe the rear wheel comes up off the roof?

John
Old 10-06-20, 11:13 AM
noodle soup

Yes, the single rear cup can be a point of failure, but I think they take that into account. It would be easy enough to design a mount with two cups for a single bike, but they don't.
Even if it fails what's the worst that happens? There's still friction between the cup and the roof so it shouldn't slide around too much. If you hit a bump, maybe the rear wheel comes up off the roof?

John
If it can happen to one, it can happen to multiple cups.
Old 10-06-20, 11:39 AM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If it can happen to one, it can happen to multiple cups.
Outside of an external problem I think the chances of multiple cups failing is fairly low if not non-existent.

John
Old 10-06-20, 03:23 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Outside of an external problem I think the chances of multiple cups failing is fairly low if not non-existent.

John
Just make sure to keep the surface contact areas all clean and I'm sure you won't have multiple failures.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-07-20, 12:24 AM
Princess_Allez

Against all odds, I will be giving the IPT suction bike rack a try. It only has one, large front suction cup; it has no redundancy. I did a little research on Amazon and it would seem they specialize in these suction cup products for use as professional devices. That gives me some reassurance. The product is also within a more reasonable price range ($99) for such a product. I'll report back my findings [fingers crossed]
Likes For Princess_Allez:
Old 10-07-20, 05:51 AM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Against all odds, I will be giving the IPT suction bike rack a try. It only has one, large front suction cup; it has no redundancy. I did a little research on Amazon and it would seem they specialize in these suction cup products for use as professional devices. That gives me some reassurance. The product is also within a more reasonable price range ($99) for such a product. I'll report back my findings [fingers crossed]
The IMT rack looks to be...inspired...by the Kupper bike rack.

John
Old 10-07-20, 06:05 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Don't use it on a car you care about...or carrying bikes you care about.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 10-07-20, 07:00 AM
rpyr

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I use a SeaSucker on several hundred mile trips a few times a year. Interstate speeds a good bit of the time. I follow the recommendations and have never had an issue. I wouldn't want to put anything very heavy on it, but it seems to be perfectly fine for a ~16lbs road bike
Old 10-07-20, 07:49 AM
jad3675

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
At the risk of derailing this thread, is it a dislike of inexpensive bikes racks, or a distrust of suction based racks?

john

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.