Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 980 derailleur modification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-11-20, 05:27 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts

Just finished modifying a Campy 980 rear derailleur by adding Soma extended cage plates. These plates are made for older Campy units which have an M6 thread on the spring/pivot bolt, so I had to drill it out and re-thread for the M7 x 1 thread pitch that this derailleur bolt has.

The Campy 980 is not well regarded in the Campy line-up so I don't feel bad about messing with it. It's short cage offers pretty minimal chain take up and for my project I need to wrap about 35 links. It also needs to handle a 30 tooth freewheel so I have yet to see if that works out. The original cage also has a stop to prevent the cage from over rotating on the take up but the Soma cage does not. Once the chain is on that shouldn't be a problem though. The project is a 1962/3 Girardengo and is being built up as a retro gravel bike. One of my winter projects!
Old 10-11-20, 05:41 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Just finished modifying a Campy 980 rear derailleur by adding Soma extended cage plates. These plates are made for older Campy units which have an M6 thread on the spring/pivot bolt, so I had to drill it out and re-thread for the M7 x 1 thread pitch that this derailleur bolt has.

The Campy 980 is not well regarded in the Campy line-up so I don't feel bad about messing with it. It's short cage offers pretty minimal chain take up and for my project I need to wrap about 35 links. It also needs to handle a 30 tooth freewheel so I have yet to see if that works out. The original cage also has a stop to prevent the cage from over rotating on the take up but the Soma cage does not. Once the chain is on that shouldn't be a problem though. The project is a 1962/3 Girardengo and is being built up as a retro gravel bike. One of my winter projects!
Nice. Yeah, those are my least favorite campy derailleur, BITD. IIRC they were difficult to get enough chain wrap around the small cogs. Prone to skipping with stronger riders. You'd have to slide the wheel all the way back and play with chain length, which they weren't that tolerant of. They came out around the same time as short horizontal dropouts, which didn't help. Not sure why they seemed to behave differently than a NR, but i seem to recall they did. Then again it might have been more of a combination of factors in flux at the time.

(EDIT - after trying to remember, I think I'm being unfair to this RD, see comments below. )

The SOMA jockey cage should solve that issue. I'd personally consider going full dork and putting modern big jockey wheels on there, depending on the bike.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 10-11-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 06:30 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
When I saw @Wildwood put one of these on his Harding, I knew it would make for the perfect mech for a gravel road bike. It just looks the part ... perfectly. Well done on the mod to the Soma cage.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-11-20, 06:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
I bought one new in 1985? and thought it was fine, cheap, Campagnolo, and as I was in school could not afford a Nuovo Record.
Old 10-11-20, 07:05 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I bought one new in 1985? and thought it was fine, cheap, Campagnolo, and as I was in school could not afford a Nuovo Record.
I haven't thought about this in 35 years, but now that I do, I think it had more to do with the dropout design of the bike that it commonly came on in the shop where I worked at the time. They just didn't play nice together.

Same geometry as a NR as far as I can tell. Should work the same. I take back my insulting words above. I blame the bike instead.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 10-11-20, 11:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
When I saw @Wildwood put one of these on his Harding, I knew it would make for the perfect mech for a gravel road bike. It just looks the part ... perfectly. Well done on the mod to the Soma cage.
There are many gearing strategies. My 980's performance got me thru ~100mi of gravel with a good climb or two. Cino 2016. But my chainrings were 46/30 and the freewheel was 14/28 (i think, maybe 26).

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-12-20 at 12:05 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 10-12-20, 04:30 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
What do you think of the story I heard that the name comes from its birthday, in September 1980? Urban legend?

Mark B
Old 10-12-20, 10:06 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
What do you think of the story I heard that the name comes from its birthday, in September 1980? Urban legend? Mark B
980 lire to manufacture? = cheap
Old 10-12-20, 01:09 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I'm using a 980 front on a build, mainly because it's lighter than anything else I had in the bin. Works fine, too.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 10-12-20, 01:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
My kid's bike had one of those derailleurs. It worked terribly. I couldn't get it to work well, so I replaced it. Examining it carefully, I couldn't find wear or misalignment. Oh well. Good luck.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-12-20, 03:56 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
The 980 derailers on my Torelli (with 1980's standard road gearing) worked notably well while charging all of the rollers and switchbacks here in these foothills.

The chain and sprockets are an important ingredient of success in that regard! I ran UG 6s with modern 8s chain of some sort.

The long cage should really help with dealing with a larger chainring spread, something that this design usually doesn't handle well.
Likes For dddd: