Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Uh oh, I can't think of any cycling doodads to buy over the winter

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Uh oh, I can't think of any cycling doodads to buy over the winter

Old 11-05-20, 05:38 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I'm not a fan of doodads. I like thingamabobs and whachamacallits better, but my favorite is a chingadera.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 11-05-20, 06:02 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
Most of you folks are planning what you can do to while away the hours when the snow falls. This Summer was so hot here in southern Arizona that if you weren't out the door riding by 6AM you'd be cooked by 10! Although we manage to get our miles in, Summer is not our prime riding season.

​​​As winter approaches, now is the time to ride here, anytime during these beautiful days!
That was my thought when I moved from Indiana to west Texas - summer for getting fat, winter for riding. Then come to realize although it's decent weather in the winter, daylight is still short! Dark when I go to work, dark when I go home does not make for good riding! So it was summer get fat, winter get fat and depressed.

So I move to Portland, where we combine the bad weather with the short days, like it should be.
Old 11-09-20, 01:11 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
For the past 7 or 8 years, I've been able to think of a cycling "toy" I wanted to buy over the winter to play with or upgrade the bike(s) with - Kickr trainer, Wahoo Roam, Zwift, upgrade bags or seat or shoes, switch to SPD-SL cleats, move to GP-5000 tires, and last year the Varia radar/taillight.

This year the only thing i can think of is maybe some cushier bar tape on my road bike. My credit card company will issue a fraud alert for lack of use over the winter...
Well...when i need something for my bike, I get it. It's really expensive and I can get without it, I will be hesistant for a while and then get it. I am not affected by the season (though in the winter, riding less, I am less likely to buy new stuff). That's just kind of wild and crazy guy I am in my attempts to not get swept up into conspicous consumption.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 11-16-20, 09:50 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
This thread is entertainment. I told my wife about this thread, an she got alarmed and thought I was serious, misinterpreting what I said, and thought I was certified nuts by the look on her face.

Luckily my wife rides as well.

My suggestion is to buy ride food. It's a consumable and there is a wide variety of stuff we all could eat and haven't eaten yet. And if there's ever a disaster, ride food will be something good to have around.

We find it very convenient to have a ready supply of ride food to not only encourage plenty of long rides and bike camping trips, but it also makes those ridesore enjoyable to have the food we enjoy at the incredible scenic spots we stop at to refuel.