Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vertically truing a new wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Vertically truing a new wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-21, 05:01 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Radial trueness of a new wheel

Been having a hard time with this one. Lateral trueness, dish, even tension....doing well. Got it down.

Some of my builds come out with perfect radial trueness and I don't know why. Others have a mm or two of "wheel hop" and no matter what, I can't get the "hop" to go away.

As I tighten the spokes (usually a group of 6) to pull IN the rim at the offending area of the rim with a HOP, then loosen the opposing spokes at the opposite side of the rim where there is a DIP....nothing changes in regard to radial trueness.

What am I overlooking?

Last edited by mrmb; 04-25-21 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 05:59 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
When I say "vertical trueness" I mean "radial trueness".
Old 04-25-21, 07:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
There are 2 very important things to look at when you're looking at radial runout...at least when building new wheels.
1. The new rim must actually be very round. Many are not and this causes problems.
2. Your starting point when putting nipples on spokes must be as close to exactly the same for every spoke/nipple as possible.
I have one of those Problem Solvers things that goes into an electric drill. The end looks like a flat screwdriver w/ a hole in the center that fits a piece of 2.0mm spoke. You can adjust how far it sticks out. The little piece of spoke stops against the spoke as it comes through the nipple. This will assure that every nipple is screwed on the same number of turns and gives you a very even starting point. I then add tension the same on all spokes and usually the rim stays very straight and round as I bring the tension up.
If you're working on a wheel that's been built and ridden this all changes.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-25-21, 07:49 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Don't worry about the opposite side of the rim, just focus on the high and low spots where the radial runout is located. Having a round rim and getting the spokes started evenly will definitely help speed up the process, but it's simply a matter of tightening or loosening the spokes in a given area to raise or lower the rim in that area. The tricky part is keeping the spoke tension relatively equal while keeping the lateral runout in check. I find it easiest to do all of these simultaneously. I made a video a year or so ago on how I like to tension and true a just built wheel. Maybe some of it may be helpful.
Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 04-25-21, 08:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
...I have one of those Problem Solvers things that goes into an electric drill. The end looks like a flat screwdriver w/ a hole in the center that fits a piece of 2.0mm spoke. You can adjust how far it sticks out.
OK Stud... Ya got me. Not that I rebuild wheels very often but it sure looks like I need one of these. How about a pic or a link?
Old 04-25-21, 09:22 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Heres the one I use. You can get different lengths. As your screwing the nipple on the spoke will push the bit out. Not as cool as the problem solvers that's adjustable though. Might have to upgrade. Lolhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFQ7CD9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_49ND5SQZ87WZG6NVMMEA
Old 04-25-21, 09:53 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You can always back the nipples out so you have the same amount of thread showing on each spoke. Then just turn them in the same amount on each spoke to tighten. The idea is to have all the spokes threaded equally. Start at the valve hole and go all the way around.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-25-21 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-25-21, 11:40 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I work on getting the vertical trueness pretty early in the truing process when spoke tension is still pretty low. That seems to work better than later on when the tension is higher. You mention tightening the spokes in groups of six. Sometimes I'll do that many if it's a really big (long) hop, but usually will only tighten 4, or sometimes just 2 spokes.
Old 04-26-21, 12:55 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Put the wheel on the truing stand. Find the specific point on the wheel that is too far out from the hub. Tighten the closest single spoke by 360 degrees. In order to prevent that section of the rim from going laterally untrue, tighten the spoke on the either side of that spoke you just tightened, by 180 degrees each. 180 x 2 = 360, so the lateral trueness of that spot on the rim is more or less maintained.

Repeat as necessary. Obviously, for a spot on the rim that is too close to the hub, then you need to loosen the closest spoke by 360 degrees, and then loosen 180 & 180 on either side.
Old 04-26-21, 07:01 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
OK Stud... Ya got me. Not that I rebuild wheels very often but it sure looks like I need one of these. How about a pic or a link?
I use the Bicycle Research version:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
br-spoke-tool.jpg (92.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-26-21, 09:47 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
zandoval Here ya go:
Problem Solvers Holy Driver
Old 04-26-21, 12:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Don't worry about the opposite side of the rim, just focus on the high and low spots where the radial runout is located.

+1. There may not be a spot on the opposite side of the wheel that corresponds to the problem area. Turning the wheel 180° and trying to to “fix” the problem is just introducing more problems.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-26-21, 10:31 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Hops usually occur because we ignore the radial trueness in our effort to attain lateral trueness. Generally, I can flatten a hop by tightening the spokes on both sides in the high section. If it's a wheel I'm building myself, I'm usually truing out the hop before the wheel gets too tight. If it's an old wheel, I'll carefully loosen the whole wheel by a half-turn and start over, paying more attention to the hop.
Old 04-27-21, 11:27 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
When I build a wheel I start by setting the nipples at the same depth, then getting the radial runout true. As the tension begins to rise I make minor adjustments to the lateral runout still concentrating on the radial. Rising tension makes it more difficult to correct radial runout errors.
Likes For davidad:
Old 04-27-21, 11:57 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
In all the good responses in can still just be an issue with the rim itself. I have found that if the rim is well made and round, as long as you work all three together and start with nipples all in the threads the nearly the same, then radial seems to come out ok. I have also had rims that no matter what I did I could not get rid of the hop. I recently rebuild a Kinlin 279cx that had a pretty good hop. I could never get rid of the hop without cause problems with tension and lateral trueness. I bought a replacement and used the same spokes and nipples and the wheel came out wonderful and round without any stress in the build. Some rims are just not round out of the box.