Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

And you thought it would never happen

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

And you thought it would never happen

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-21, 04:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Do you suppose Shimano sometime files patents on things they have no intention of pursuing, just to throw off the patent-watchers (the folks trying to divine what the next generation of Dura Ace will be)? They probably have enough money to file frivolous patents.
funny you should write this. i was wondering if they were patenting it just because it is a dumb idea and they just wanted to kill it.

i read somewhere on the internet that the oil companies patented an infinite power source but they just want to keep it secret and sell oil to us to make money.
Old 05-27-21, 04:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
funny you should write this. i was wondering if they were patenting it just because it is a dumb idea and they just wanted to kill it.
Patents can be invalidated if you can prove the inventor/assignee didn't pursue them, but of course that requires litigation.

i read somewhere on the internet that the oil companies patented an infinite power source but they just want to keep it secret and sell oil to us to make money.
Did it look like this?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-21, 04:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Infinite power source is the sun. People in Seattle debate whether it exists. A popular theory is it sprouts from seed in May, blooms for 2 weeks in August and then dies.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-27-21, 05:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Infinite power source is the sun. People in Seattle debate whether it exists. A popular theory is it sprouts from seed in May, blooms for 2 weeks in August and then dies.
You say that now, but in 5 Billion years you'll be singing a different tune.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-27-21, 06:02 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Yeah, nah.

Seems to me, there's a far more elegant way to move the master cylinders into the lever bodies; just pivot the brake levers at the very top, with actuator rods pointing back into the guts mounted however much necessary below the pivot point. Piece of piss.

I'm actually kinda stumped why they didn't do it this way in the first place for electronic shifting levers, unless it was just for economies of scale with the mechanical versions.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 05-27-21, 06:09 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
If they really mean brake by wire...NO. I'd avoid that like the plague.
Old 05-27-21, 06:33 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’d pass on that faster than I’d pass on those weird looking barefoot pedals.
Old 05-27-21, 08:01 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I will Not use SRAM's version.
Old 05-27-21, 08:49 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Patents can be invalidated if you can prove the inventor/assignee didn't pursue them, but of course that requires litigation.

Did it look like this?
A little bit. the one I saw was green.
Old 05-27-21, 09:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Well, those big Mercedes Benz vehicles have a correspondingly big battery and an alternator to keep that battery charged while the engine is running, so there is considerably less risk of losing power to the brakes than on a bike with brakes controlled by a small battery with no charging mechanism on the bike.
I get that but they also need bigger brakes and with todays dynamo technology you could charge them with minimal drag and weight. Looking at Di2 which has been around a while it requires pretty minimal charging, I remember the reports of people doing RAAM with no charging at all. Surely with brakes they could take a more minimal battery drain. However I am no expert and still would want back ups to the system at least for a little while but it is the future at some point.
Old 05-27-21, 09:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Wow... Groovy Man...

Yet here's another thing I can't afford for my bicycle... HA
Old 05-27-21, 09:54 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I get that but they also need bigger brakes and with todays dynamo technology you could charge them with minimal drag and weight. Looking at Di2 which has been around a while it requires pretty minimal charging, I remember the reports of people doing RAAM with no charging at all. Surely with brakes they could take a more minimal battery drain. However I am no expert and still would want back ups to the system at least for a little while but it is the future at some point.
I'm pretty sure you'd be looking at an order of magnitude or two for the difference in power draw between gears and brakes.
Old 05-27-21, 10:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'm pretty sure you'd be looking at an order of magnitude or two for the difference in power draw between gears and brakes.
Maybe I really don't know, I am not an engineer or an electrical expert by any means. I mean I could build some mean lego stuff and in grade school built a pretty strong bridge that beat the class but beyond that I leave it up to the professionals.
Old 05-28-21, 02:07 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
A lot of trucks have air brakes. They are designed so the brakes cannot be released if the air pressure is too low.

The same should apply here. Make it so the bike can't be ridden if the battery controlling the brakes is flat. But then, what if the battery goes flat while you are out riding?
Old 05-28-21, 02:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Man, getting ABS on a road bike would be a game-changing development! I don’t know there’s a compelling argument for BBW in bikes absent that, but all-or-nothing is not how evolution works.

As to the question of why not move the fluid reservoir from the lever, I’d think that may be for the sake of a manual backup system. If the electronics fail, physical connection could allow some brake actuation, though likely with less force/higher lever effort.

If that’s the case, the safety fears expressed upthread are misplaced, because such a system would be more robust than the zero backup systems we have now. If your brake cable head fatigues and snaps off— a friend just had this happen to his rear derailleur cable at the shifter— your brakes are good for naught. Same if you develop an actuator piston leak on conventional hydro brakes. Further, isolating the fluid system as much as possible from failure points enhances system integrity
Likes For chaadster:
Old 05-28-21, 03:21 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Good idea for people who think all change is automatically good.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-28-21, 10:13 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I will Not use SRAM's version.
You funny.
Old 05-28-21, 10:58 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
If we can operate fully electronic airliners, I think we can manage reliable electronic bicycles.
Old 05-28-21, 10:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Good idea for people who think all change is automatically good.
Pneumatic tires! Grrr!
Old 05-28-21, 10:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Do you suppose Shimano sometime files patents on things they have no intention of pursuing, just to throw off the patent-watchers (the folks trying to divine what the next generation of Dura Ace will be)? They probably have enough money to file frivolous patents.
For a large company like Shimano, which presumably has in-house patent counsel, the cost of filing a patent application is probably less than one high end road bike. So it should file one regardless whether it intends to bring that invention to market.

Disclaimer: Not legal advice.
Old 05-28-21, 11:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Wrong. Look at the number of U.S. patents granted per year:

U.S. Patent Statistics Summary Table, Calendar Years 1963 to 2020, 05/2021 update (uspto.gov)

Common sense tells you that most patented inventions do not make it to market. Patents can be invalidated by proving that the individual(s) who are named as inventor(s) did not actually invent any of the claimed inventions (among other ways to challenge the validity of an issued patent). This has nothing to do with whether the inventor(s) and/or the assignee ever tried to bring the patented inventions to market. Otherwise, there would be no non-practicing entities (commonly and often derogatorily referred to as patent trolls). Also, many patents are licensed by the inventor(s) or the assignee to third parties to bring to the market.

Disclaimer: Not legal advice, merely Internet debate.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 05-28-21 at 11:11 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-29-21, 02:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Pneumatic tires! Grrr!
Spinergy Rev-X wheels! No Spokes! Cool!
Old 05-29-21, 12:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Wrong. Look at the number of U.S. patents granted per year:

U.S. Patent Statistics Summary Table, Calendar Years 1963 to 2020, 05/2021 update (uspto.gov)

Common sense tells you that most patented inventions do not make it to market. Patents can be invalidated by proving that the individual(s) who are named as inventor(s) did not actually invent any of the claimed inventions (among other ways to challenge the validity of an issued patent). This has nothing to do with whether the inventor(s) and/or the assignee ever tried to bring the patented inventions to market. Otherwise, there would be no non-practicing entities (commonly and often derogatorily referred to as patent trolls). Also, many patents are licensed by the inventor(s) or the assignee to third parties to bring to the market.

Disclaimer: Not legal advice, merely Internet debate.
It's possible I was misinformed and/or the law or interpretation of the law changed.

But your arguments don't really address the point, which was that invalidating a patent, or proving noninfringement - for whatever reason - generally involves some kind of litigation, which can be expensive and risky, so paying off the patent owner is generally cheaper, which is exactly why patent trolls exist, right? Because it's cheaper to settle than fight, or to just not go there in the first place.

Old 05-29-21, 01:43 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
IMO dead end tech.

I believe the future of braking will be by electric servo motors which are part of the brake mechanism, same as with derailleurs already. It could be used with rim or disk brakes and with either wireless or wired connection, same as it is now with the derailleurs.

To first replace wire by hydraulic hoses, then have the fluid pressure electrically actuated from the brake levers... I say, chuck it, don't build new house on the old foundations.
Old 05-29-21, 03:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It seemed like a silly idea to me, since for the most part bikes and riders are light enough to brake efficiently with normal hand strength. Cars, of course, are MUCH heavier, and becoming more so all the time, so power brakes, then ABS, and now brake-by-wire, because the average person lacks the leg strength to stop a two ton car without some kind of assistance in a reasonable distance.

But then I realized that with the rise of Ebikes, which allow riders to go farther on less fitness, so that some folks who would not ride bikes at all are now able to ride a reasonable distance. People without the leg strength to climb a big hill without some kind of assist will find themselves at the top of hills with steep enough descents that anything less than average hand strength might be insufficient to descend safely. I mean, after all, even those of us who have been riding for years have generally quickly adopted new mechanical technologies that improve braking, or we'd still be running flexy single pivot caliper brakes like BITD.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.