Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Well Looky Here! (Speaking of Rob't Moses Causeway)

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-21, 04:30 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

Jun 17, 2021 — It's happening!

The Great South Bay Greenway plans have been formally introduced by County Executive Steve Bellone and enthusiastically endorsed by the Chairman of the State Senate Transportation Committee, Tim Kennedy (Buffalo). The plans call for the greenway to begin at Gardiner Park in Islip and extend over the Robert Moses Causeway and link up to the Ocean Parkway path that runs the length of Jones Beach Island.

Link to article and petition: https://www.change.org/p/the-new-yor...te&utm_term=cs
Old 06-17-21, 10:24 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I think that is great. I don't know about making much of an impact on tourism. Any idea what the plans are to ride across the Robert Moses Bridges? The only solution that I can think of would be to take out a car lane, however, I cannot see that being supported by the rest of the public. They could build an outrigger off the deck, and even I, as a cyclist, has to think that if your going to spend NY state money, there would be better places to spend it.
Old 06-17-21, 11:53 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I think that is great. I don't know about making much of an impact on tourism. Any idea what the plans are to ride across the Robert Moses Bridges? The only solution that I can think of would be to take out a car lane, however, I cannot see that being supported by the rest of the public. They could build an outrigger off the deck, and even I, as a cyclist, has to think that if your going to spend NY state money, there would be better places to spend it.
I am not too familiar with the bridge, as I am from the "other" end of the bikeway; however, I agree that if it involves a major investment, perhaps a ferry might be a better idea?
Old 06-17-21, 03:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
There's a single car lane each direction on the bridge from Captree to RM. I suspect if they re-align the road markings they can squeeze a painted bike path, maybe not a cable barrier.

The eastern bridge heading north from Captree to the mainland has 3 lanes (2 southbound). I suspect they can take a car lane out of service, maybe put in a cable barrier and create a bike lane.

I have to state that I never expected to see any movement on this connector to Suffolk in my lifetime and I envision there is going to be a LOT of complaints from drivers who don't bike. They also complained at the loss of a northbound lane on the Wantagh when the state put in a breakdown lane (instead of cars using the grass). That was a result of the kid on a bike who was killed by a intoxicated Harley driver went off the road and skidded on the wet grass.

Having access to the RM causeway would make for a very nice 40+ mile loop

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-17-21 at 03:33 PM.