Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Toe clips / straps

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Toe clips / straps

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 04:59 PM
walterb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Toe clips / straps

Greetings ,

looking for proper toe clips / straps for my son’s late-80s Bianchi Campione d’Italia. I see various sizes but no sizing chart. He wears size 9ish (U.S.) shoe. So, we figure, medium? Also, what’s a good source for both clips and straps (to avoid having to order from two places and incur double the shipping costs, which in this case tend to amount more than the items themselves)? He’s more or less flexible on the brand - his components right now are a mixed bag - but ideally something that makes sense on an Italian frame. Thanks for your guidance.
Old 08-21-21, 05:34 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
9 is usually medium, but it may depend on where he likes his feet on the pedal.

You need a LBS or co-op with some old ones he can try, then get the shiny new ones that size.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 08-21-21, 05:38 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
@walterb

These are classic, clips come s/m or l/xl, you don't want them to be small.

The Bianchi is into the clipless era so... I never use them, oldschool all the way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29173622825...0AAOSwUKxYm0Ad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38173513758...YAAOSwxNxbW2Rf

These are free shipping.

And this is my normal setup.

Double gate for more stability without really tight straps.

Last edited by merziac; 08-21-21 at 05:45 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-21-21, 05:52 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...the laminated straps that Velo Orange sells now maintain their stiffness and shape longer than any simple single layer leather toe strap, and they are cheaper than the really good laminated ones from Japan. Pperformance used to sell them in their online store for half as much, but they don't any more. Clips are sort of a personal preference thing. Those Zefals recommended above work fine, but I've lately gone to these Soma clips . They fit my shoe toe better, and the white powdercoated ones are pretty cheap. They sell them in chrome, but at two or three times the price.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-21-21, 05:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26418 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

Old 08-21-21, 06:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
I try to get used Christophe clips from the LBS or co-op. They often come with peddles. I buy new Christophe straps on eBay for under $14 shipped (+ tax).
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-22-21, 06:28 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
but I've lately gone to these Soma clips .
I love Soma toe clips, their straps are also excellent, but I've moved away from them as they're expensive to get to Australia.

They're a copy of an ICS design:

Likes For P!N20:
Old 08-22-21, 11:01 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Be careful about this purchase. There's one more thing to consider besides the clip's size (length).

If the shoes have tall toe box (like the ones shown below), you will need to buy TALL clips. The extra height will allow the very blunt shoe to fully enter the clip. Without that, the blunt-toed shoe will not be able to go all the way in and the metal clip will quickly damage the leather shoe.

If your shoes have a narrow toe and are tapered top to bottom (like Merziac's photo above), the regular clips will be fine.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 08-22-21 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 08-22-21, 11:08 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
This is all great advice and as a person who hits the coop often I certainly suggest that avenue. Our coop routinely has used clips and straps. Personally I buy the straps whenever they are cheap for touring and commuting with loads. The straps are great for securing bulky items to a rack or trailer. Pretty much better than anything else I have tried.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 08-22-21, 11:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
@walterb

These are classic, clips come s/m or l/xl, you don't want them to be small.

The Bianchi is into the clipless era so... I never use them, oldschool all the way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29173622825...0AAOSwUKxYm0Ad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38173513758...YAAOSwxNxbW2Rf

These are free shipping.

And this is my normal setup.

Double gate for more stability without really tight straps.

I clicked on those links. Like me, the OP lives in Canada. Shipping is not free and they also have to deal with exchange rates and possible duties
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-22-21, 11:26 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I clicked on those links. Like me, the OP lives in Canada. Shipping is not free and they also have to deal with exchange rates and possible duties
Well I tried, guess that will be the case no matter what. Can you search efbay for Canadian sellers maybe? I realize they would be more $$$ just because.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-22-21, 11:32 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Be careful about this purchase. There's one more thing to consider besides the clip's size (length).

If the shoes have tall toe box (like the ones shown below), you will need to buy TALL clips. The extra height will allow the very blunt shoe to fully enter the clip. Without that, the blunt-toed shoe will not be able to go all the way in and the metal clip will quickly damage the leather shoe.

If your shoes have a narrow toe and are tapered top to bottom (like Merziac's photo above), the regular clips will be fine.

Good point, I have a set of republics that I plan to have modified or do myself by grinding the sole flat and having protective soles put on like the ones above.

Likes For merziac:
Old 08-22-21, 11:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Random comments from a guy who's got way over 100,000 miles on toeclips. (And who has been pulling them tight and pulling up hard on the pedals to climb and accelerate the whole time.) Plastic toeclips are simply better because they are lighter and far easier to pick up. Also survive the "crunch" when the tip hits the road as the pedal hits 6 o'clock. Yes, they break sooner than metal but serve far better in the meantime.

Christophe straps, while being very time appropriate on almost any era bike, are the bare minimum quality as a strap to be ridden hard. Yes, laminated should be better but not all are of good quality. Some are junk. Really good quality simple leather straps can be far better. I raced the all leather Bindas back in the day and used many since. If you come across them, grab them.

And I've given up on the quest to find those good ones. (They're out there. But usually expensive and no longer there next time I need a pair.) I simply have the local leather shop cut me 1/2" strips of their quality cowhide and rivet them to quality old buckles. For me, toestraps are consumables; lasting somewhere between cloth handlebar tape and chains.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-24-21, 09:10 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Good point, I have a set of republics that I plan to have modified or do myself by grinding the sole flat and having protective soles put on like the ones above.
I was able to remove the lugs and cleats by unscrewing them and installed thick rubber just like you show. The toe box is still too tall for conventional clips.
Old 08-24-21, 11:19 PM
merziac

I was able to remove the lugs and cleats by unscrewing them and installed thick rubber just like you show. The toe box is still too tall for conventional clips.
Well the protective soles are` only about 1/8 - 3/16ths thick and on those shoes and make for a good fit once the straps are adjusted right.

I got inspired by this thread and dug out my new in the box Republic's. I took the front lugs off and ground off the guides, sanded the soles, cleaned them with solvent and put big dabs of Shoe-goo on, filling the cleat slots so the plates got stuck in place.

Walked around on the slick concrete in the garage and then test rode them today and they worked very well, going to add more Shoe-goo and see how well it stays stuck in regular use, protective soles are still the back up plan.

The dual gate Soma Oppy clips are big enough and I have tweaked them to work even better.

Toe clips are tough so they can be hard to tweak, patience is key as they can break or get sprung out of shape if you go too far, but you have to go pretty far to make it stick so its a process. I do them on the pedal on the bike so you can really lean into it carefully.

The fit and the ride with them was very good so I am good with the fit at this point.

These shoes may be a bit shorter in the toe box and they have some give but so far they work great, still if need be the clips would see it my way.

Here's some pics.

Old 08-25-21, 09:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Christophe straps, while being very time appropriate on almost any era bike, are the bare minimum quality as a strap to be ridden hard. Yes, laminated should be better but not all are of good quality. Some are junk. Really good quality simple leather straps can be far better. I raced the all leather Bindas back in the day and used many since. If you come across them, grab them.
MKS α-fit straps are about as nice as the Binda laminated straps, and are still being made for the Keirin riders. Prices can be all over the map, though. I got a couple new sets for about US$12 a couple years ago, most are in the $30-40 range, sometimes over $60. Shop around. Electra used to offer a laminated strap with a nice buckle pad, but they were laminated with the finished side of the leather facing out on both sides, which made it hard for the buckle teeth to grab. They kept slipping on me when pulling up hard, so I gave up on them. Toshi made top quality straps, but stopped a few years ago. You can still find new sets, but they're not cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mks-straps.jpg (46.6 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg
electra-laminated-straps.jpg (61.1 KB, 153 views)
Old 08-25-21, 10:15 AM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
While on this topic, I found a way to get toe straps through the holes in the pedals without them stripping the finish off the edges of the straps. I applied some Lexol leather cleaner to the edges of the straps before pushing them through. It lubricates the leather so it can slip through pretty easily without damaging the leather, then the Lexol dries and disappears in a few hours, leaving no oily stuff, no color change, and no evidence that it was ever there. Use some more later when you want to remove the straps.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Last edited by CroMo Mike; 08-25-21 at 10:19 AM.
Likes For CroMo Mike:
Old 08-25-21, 01:39 PM
merziac

Pics ?
Old 08-25-21, 02:20 PM
merziac

Circling back to add that another 12.5 miles today with the first 7.5 being to the Dr. hustling for me and this new setup is very good, stiff soles and comfortable shoes make for much better effort return and feet still feeling like they can go a lot further.

was I waiting for?

Have had these for a long time.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-25-21, 02:20 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Well the protective soles are` only about 1/8 - 3/16ths thick and on those shoes and make for a good fit once the straps are adjusted right.

I got inspired by this thread and dug out my new in the box Republic's. I took the front lugs off and ground off the guides, sanded the soles, cleaned them with solvent and put big dabs of Shoe-goo on, filling the cleat slots so the plates got stuck in place.

Walked around on the slick concrete in the garage and then test rode them today and they worked very well, going to add more Shoe-goo and see how well it stays stuck in regular use, protective soles are still the back up plan.

The dual gate Soma Oppy clips are big enough and I have tweaked them to work even better.

Toe clips are tough so they can be hard to tweak, patience is key as they can break or get sprung out of shape if you go too far, but you have to go pretty far to make it stick so its a process. I do them on the pedal on the bike so you can really lean into it carefully.

The fit and the ride with them was very good so I am good with the fit at this point.

These shoes may be a bit shorter in the toe box and they have some give but so far they work great, still if need be the clips would see it my way.

Here's some pics.

I would be interested in finding out how your glueing project turns out for the republics. I have a leather pair where I've removed the side pieces and I am considering finding a cobbler to do the same.

I'm also about to test another set up by using the Vittoria cleats by bolting one side of the SPD slot and one bolt from the side cleats.
Likes For Thalia949:
Old 08-25-21, 02:39 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Thalia949
I would be interested in finding out how your glueing project turns out for the republics. I have a leather pair where I've removed the side pieces and I am considering finding a cobbler to do the same.

I'm also about to test another set up by using the Vittoria cleats by bolting one side of the SPD slot and one bolt from the side cleats.
So the protective soles are spendy, $70 after talking them down on the oldschool ones above, still absolutely worth it IMO.

The shoe-goo will be on going, hoping that adding some more will shore it up better, we'll see, I may add some grooves for it to stick to if it doesn't hold up.

Going to fill in the screw holes with it to resolve the last bit of slip and slide, may be challenging to keep them from being slippery the last 10% of the time.
Old 08-26-21, 12:02 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Thought I would share a pic of what I am trying with my Republic LX's - attaching a Vittoria cleat. I've ridden once with this, but need to get the position right before I drill the cleat to attach to the bolt point where the lug was.

Not at all sure if I will end up with this as a solution. I like the idea of gluing a sole on the bottom as I have bad knees and need a high amount of float - which the cleat does not provide.

Old 08-26-21, 12:16 PM
merziac

Thought I would share a pic of what I am trying with my Republic LX's - attaching a Vittoria cleat. I've ridden once with this, but need to get the position right before I drill the cleat to attach to the bolt point where the lug was.

Not at all sure if I will end up with this as a solution. I like the idea of gluing a sole on the bottom as I have bad knees and need a high amount of float - which the cleat does not provide.

I would be very hesitant to use that screw mount for the cleat, it may not be robust enough and If that insert blows out it might screw up the sole I think.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-26-21, 12:23 PM
Thalia949

Thanks merziac - I agree with you on the screw mount. I may be better served using these cleats on another shoe and going the sole route!
Old 08-26-21, 12:37 PM
merziac

Thanks merziac - I agree with you on the screw mount. I may be better served using these cleats on another shoe and going the sole route!
Its amazing the amount of abuse soles take that we don't realize until we go to a place like this.

I was out on another ride yesterday afternoon and stopped at a shoe shop that I had talked to about the protective soles I had put on the other shoes, it was done at a different shop.

I asked this shop about protective soles on the republics and they said they wouldn't want to do it for the danger of the sole peeling up and getting stuck in the pedal while riding.

They probably have a good point as the Shoe-goo struggles to stay stuck so better prep and and or a glue may need to be found.

I'm going to ramp up the prep and goo, probably should have left the ridge guides for the lugs alone to provide a hardstop for the goo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.