Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First time here and can bruise thigh affect on hip?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 04:15 PM
jcrtorres007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, my name is Jason from New York. I love bikes and also start liking electric bikes too. I have some questions about bruised quadricep on my left leg which I fell down harder from the bike. My iPhone was in left pocket which made bruise more. I didn’t see bump rocks there but I flew over and landed on it. Went to emergency room to get checked out. They said x-ray showed no fracture or broken bones at all. Just very little bit pressure on left hip due to mild degeneration. They said it’s trauma from fell down. I’m trying to figure out why muscles around my left hip feel like pain but I only landed on rock by left front quadricep, arms and hands. My hips didn’t touch the ground. I have spoken with my friend who is pain management, he said that bruised quadriceps can spread pain to the hips area. He said something like if quadriceps got bruised, hips can be weak with pain for awhile. He checked x-ray and it looked fine to him. I wonder how long healing will be. He said more likely up to two months. Any of you had similar situation like mine before? I hope your experience can help me to think positive. Thank you.
Old 08-24-21, 04:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
How long since the fall? When you fall on your bike at any speed faster than you walk, then your body is absorbing more shock. I've had some falls on a bike that the side of my thigh and hip took the brunt of the fall. One I limped for a week and even used a crutch the day after. Others I was just a little sore for a few days.

If your issue persist for several weeks, then talk to your doctor again. It might just be that you need a few days of physical therapy to stretch things out.
Old 08-24-21, 04:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Jason, sorry that you took a spill and are having problems. I politely suggest that you might get better medical advice from a medical professional than from an online forum.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-24-21, 04:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
So you don't think he should trust the ER doctors that told him there was nothing major? I didn't expect that the OP wanted to trust us for our expert medical opinion. I thought they just wanted to see what others had experienced.

But yes I would agree that if they have doubts and suspect something was missed, then by all means they should immediately go to the medical person that they trust.
Old 08-24-21, 04:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
Hi Jason from New York!

The pain & bruising are [size=13px]collateral[/size] damage from the impact. I wouldn't be much concerned after the doctor gave you the all clear.
Old 08-24-21, 05:32 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Is there a dark purple colored area on your hip? If so, this may be caused by a hematoma (blood leaking out between the muscle layers) as a result of the fall and bruising the muscle. Been there, done that. It hurts a lot until your body reabsorbs the blood that is between the muscle layers. For me, that was a couple of weeks until I felt back to normal and it no longer hurt at all. Google on "hematoma" or look here https://www.rxlist.com/hematoma/drugs-condition.htm
"Hematoma is generally defined as a collection of blood outside of blood vessels. Most commonly, hematomas are caused by an injury to the wall of a blood vessel, prompting blood to seep out of the blood vessel into the surrounding tissues."

Fortunately is is not fatal but sure can be a bother.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 08-24-21, 05:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Not a doctor, but I have crashed my bike. And my experience is that contusions can be weird and manifest pain even in places where you didn't fall.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-24-21, 05:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
My experience is that if I get hurt it can take awhile to feel better. Hope you feel better soon.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-25-21, 06:25 AM
roth rothar

Bikes: Raleigh Technium, Cannodale SR600,Trek 520, Specialized Rock Hopper, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Depends, Are you closer to nineteen or ninety
Likes For roth rothar:
Old 08-25-21, 06:43 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I can only second the suggestion of seeing a medical professional if you don't trust what the ER doc told you. They can give you much better advice than a bunch of people on an internet forum.
Old 08-25-21, 07:52 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Zone 2 ride for ~2 hours, plenty of hydration, light foam roller after ride. Ice as appropriate. (Hint: it’s never appropriate in good whisky.) If these things don’t help then HTFU.
Old 08-25-21, 03:49 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Dealing with it now. I had a hard fall a week and a half ago. Hard hit on hip, elbow, knee and ankle. Main thing seems to be the hip. Urgent care and orthopedic doctor say nothing broken, but a lot of pain.

Had PT today and therapist says I should expect multiple weeks of working to restore function. Default timeframe for this type of thing is 6-8 weeks but he says since I’m fit and active it should be significantly less.

Interior muscles near the hip joint are inflamed and irritating the sciatic nerve. I need to gradually improve that by working those muscles, a little at first and gradually increasing. Ice it twice a day.

Also recommends I ride easy and just a little, like 20 minutes at easy pace. No pain and not a hard work out. Also any cardio workout I can contrive using upper body.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-25-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-25-21, 06:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Massage the bruised area with some chain lube.
Old 08-25-21, 06:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
It can take a long time for something like that to heal, especially once you get older.

Pain in one place from an injury in another is called "referred pain" and is pretty common. But it can be disturbing.
Old 08-29-21, 03:49 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Hopefully my example will help you to think positive.

Two weeks in from a hard fall on my hip and now I’m able to get on the bike and ride a bit.

I’m starting with short rides and not pushing too hard. Three miles yesterday and five miles today. Today I was able to pedal out of the saddle a few times. A bit of pain the first time but not enough to make me stop or cause a problem.

I’ll keep increasing the distance and effort gradually and see how it goes.

Otto