Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Minoura FT-1 truing stand worth it?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 04:42 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have been truing my wheels on their respective bikes. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting a real truing stand but don't want to spend too much. Anyone have experience with the Minoura FT-1 that they would care to comment on?

thanks
Old 08-28-21, 07:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
This topic has been posted about many times, a low cost truing stand. As i've said before I consider a solid and consistent wheel/stand unit to be very high up my list. Pretty much all the low cost ones I've seen/used are flexible and have poor axle holding designs. Nothing wrong about saving money but I suggest that you don't try better and more solid stands after buying this one.... Andy
Old 08-28-21, 09:01 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have one and have built several wheel sets with it. It's good enough that I have a hard time justifying a nicer one for how little I use it, but it's crappy enough that I wish I had something nicer every time I do.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-29-21, 02:39 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Honestly a frame upside down is nicer than a crummy truing stand.
The point of a tool is to improve things. A cheap truing stand does not do that, and a frame works better than one might think.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 08-29-21, 07:36 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I have one and have built several wheel sets with it. It's good enough that I have a hard time justifying a nicer one for how little I use it, but it's crappy enough that I wish I had something nicer every time I do.
+1. For me it's not as rigid as I would like meaning I have to be very gentle with spinning the wheel or it moves in the plastic dropouts. Dishing the wheel it also needs to be carefully flipped around several times to make sure it gives repeatable results. I could be wrong but prices seem to be inflated a bit for now and waiting for who knows how long until the covid supply chain improves could see a price drop. Despite it's faults it's much easier than not having any truing stand and for the price I paid it's worth it. Oh, and don't clamp the wheel with the quick release in the stand as it just bends and distorts the dropouts. Just tighten the QR's up enough to touch them and no more.
Old 08-29-21, 08:29 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I cannot comment on the Minoura other than I have looked at and considered them. A couple of years ago, I purchased a Feedback Pro truing stand, and it works well for my purposes. Being that it trues one side at a time, it takes longer to do, but that is not an issue for me. I do not have to true wheels very often as I am on the small, light side at 165 fully clothed, do not mash, ride on mostly ok to very smooth pavement, and in a flat, semi-rural area with not a lot of braking. I trued a wheel a couple of days ago, IIRC, that was only the second time this year. Quality, well-built for their purpose wheels, not necessarily expensive, make a huge difference.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Feedback-Pro-Truing-Station
Old 08-29-21, 08:54 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
I was given a cheap radial arm saw. It did the job, but it needed to be squared up almost every time you used it. Same with this stand.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-30-21, 08:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I have an older model probably made by Minoura but branded Performance Bike. It's all I've needed for many years.

Of course, it's possible they've cheaped it down since I bought mine.
Old 08-30-21, 11:07 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
I'd use it. Around 45 years ago I bought a cheap truing stand from my local shop. I put a pair of the owner's shop-built wheels in the stand to test it, and figured I could use it to build better wheels, and I did for 40 years. You can get good use from just about any tool as long as you understand its vulnerabilities.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 08-30-21, 05:18 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
I built and trued solid and precise wheels "on the bike" for decades. I finally bought an FT-1. Like any other less than industrial grade stand, you will need to have a dishing gauge as well, or it's back to the bike to check dish. Here's the thing though: With the type of base the Minoura has, you can stick a few felt pads on it and use the stand on a desk or table, sliding it around to get the best ergonomics and/or view of the pointers. I much prefer truing wheels sitting in a chair than standing at a suspended bike or hunched over an inverted one, and in the right light the pointers really are better than brake shoes.

oldschoolbike
Old 08-30-21, 05:51 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
It's good enough that I have a hard time justifying a nicer one for how little I use it, but it's crappy enough that I wish I had something nicer every time I do.
This sentiment applies to so much in cycling and beyond, at least for me.
Old 08-30-21, 07:21 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
In the end, the only thing that a wheel trueing stand does is to provide a stable place to measure from.

I own an old Minoura trueing stand. It's fine for trueing wheels provided your front hub is 100mm and your rear hub is 126mm. It'sll work OK with 130mm rear hubs but wider than that would be stretching it. If I was doing a lot more wheel work than I do today I'd buy myself a better one and I wouldn't let ANYBODY, even my own sons, borrow it.
Old 08-30-21, 09:14 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
This sums up my ownership of mine for a good 8 years until one day it grew legs and walked off to I have no idea where.
The one feature I liked is the wire loop that helped to stabilize it on the table was long enough that I could sit in a chair, partially slide it under my butt so the stand was between my legs and tilted down and I could work on a wheel while watching TV without having to hunch over the coffee table. Didn't really like it but also didn't hate it, it was cheap and did the job well enough with a little extra patience.
Old 08-31-21, 12:03 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I have an earlier model and echo the sentiment from others. I strongly prefer using the Park Tools pro version at the bike co-op (before I moved at least) but for the amount of wheel building and truing that I do nowadays (very seldomly), the Minoura does the job.
Old 08-31-21, 02:07 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
Honestly a frame upside down is nicer than a crummy truing stand.
The point of a tool is to improve things. A cheap truing stand does not do that, and a frame works better than one might think.
Yep, zipties on the chainstays/fork with the tips cut equal lengths works fine. It's better than my cheapo Spin Doctor stand.