Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Friday I had to go to the hospital.

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 10:48 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts

The doctor said to be there at 9:30 am. I was there a little before that. They put me in a cubicle until 2:30. So after 4 hours I,m finally called for my epidural at 2:30. I was ready to leave before all this started about 12:30 , but I thought I would get stuck for the hospital bill, so I awaited. Anyhow after an hour of recovery I got released after another hour. I have to go to the doctors office in 2 weeks. I’m thinking of dumping this guy or do I stick it out and except that maybe it wasn’t his fault. I’ll probably have to get this done every year because of my illness. What would you do? Thanks
Old 09-05-21, 11:09 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by George
The doctor said to be there at 9:30 am. I was there a little before that. They put me in a cubicle until 2:30. So after 4 hours I,m finally called for my epidural at 2:30. I was ready to leave before all this started about 12:30 , but I thought I would get stuck for the hospital bill, so I awaited. Anyhow after an hour of recovery I got released after another hour. I have to go to the doctors office in 2 weeks. I’m thinking of dumping this guy or do I stick it out and except that maybe it wasn’t his fault. I’ll probably have to get this done every year because of my illness. What would you do? Thanks
I'd tell the Dr. to go piss up a rope and find a new one. Of course, I would've left by 10:30 if it were me. Small delays are understandable but 4-5 hours is inexcusable.
Likes For BHG6:
Old 09-05-21, 11:25 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Depends on the choices you have in your region.
Likes For OldRailfan:
Old 09-05-21, 11:45 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Perhaps the doctor ran into a patient that unexpectedly needed a lot more time. I'd hope he would do the same for you.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 09-05-21, 01:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Agreed - emergencies and time estimates that are too low screw up schedules, but I think it's worth discussing with both your doc and your hospital. The hospital may provide compensation if you object the right way, although it might be a long, slow process. I was once charged for 4.5 hours in recovery instead of 1.5-2 after surgery at umpteen hundred dollars/quarter hour because the SOBs had no regular room available, even though the surgery and room had been arranged weeks earlier.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-08-21, 10:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,526 Times in 7,325 Posts
COVID-related delay?
Old 09-08-21, 11:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3662 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
I had a dermatologist who didn't see me until 30 minutes after the appointment time. Every time, 30 minutes, so obviously her SOP, not a one off. I didn't much care for her anyway so I moved on. This was all pre Covid. Got to give medical folks a lot of slack right now, asking too much of them.
Old 09-08-21, 01:13 PM
George

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was wondering about the the delay as well, but I thought someone could have said something while I waited.
Old 09-08-21, 03:42 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I was waiting 3 hours before my hernia surgery. The doctor came in to say I'm up soon, and I demanded he go tell my wife we hadn't started yet, so she wouldn't worry. I was stuck, and wouldn't have had the guts to walk out, after all the arrangements I'd made for time off, etc. My follow up was great, no waiting, and he gave me his cell phone before surgery, to call him directly with any concerns. So, maybe hang in there, and see what happens next year. i'm a dentist, and I highly value my patients time. I expect the same from other health professionals, but understand it's not always that way.
Old 09-08-21, 07:32 PM
George

Originally Posted by 355Mono
I was waiting 3 hours before my hernia surgery. The doctor came in to say I'm up soon, and I demanded he go tell my wife we hadn't started yet, so she wouldn't worry. I was stuck, and wouldn't have had the guts to walk out, after all the arrangements I'd made for time off, etc. My follow up was great, no waiting, and he gave me his cell phone before surgery, to call him directly with any concerns. So, maybe hang in there, and see what happens next year. i'm a dentist, and I highly value my patients time. I expect the same from other health professionals, but understand it's not always that way.
I think that’s what I’m going to do. Thanks
Old 09-09-21, 05:26 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
They should have at least explained the reason for the delay or after 30-45 minutes’ you should have asked why you were being kept waiting..
Old 09-09-21, 08:27 AM
George

Originally Posted by Artmo
They should have at least explained the reason for the delay or after 30-45 minutes’ you should have asked why you were being kept waiting..
Yes I did ask several times and they said they didn’t want to comment there self
. That even pissed me off more. I tell you, when I left I was fit to be tied
Old 09-09-21, 09:18 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Thanks for the replies everyone. I was wondering about the the delay as well, but I thought someone could have said something while I waited.
Regardless of the reason for the delay...some one should have popped in periodically to check on you and let you know what was going on...unless you fell through the cracks and they forgot about you.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 09-13-21, 09:16 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,637 Times in 947 Posts
After an hour past the time something like, "I can't stay much longer. Do we need to reschedule?"

If I was mad more like, "I'm going to take a walk, here's my phone number. Please call me about 30 min before he needs me."

After 2-3 hrs it's more like, "Sorry. Gotta go!"

But that's me. I'm used to 30-60 min delays. The Doctors are overbooked. But so am I sometimes. May or may not come back.
Old 09-18-21, 01:22 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's a tricky one, George. Healthcare these days is stretched every which way in many areas, and hospital workers are often burnt out and simply don't have the juice to provide care you would expect in more normal times.
Why not ask the doc what he think happened to cause the delays, in a non-confrontational manner? Lots of non-linear stuff can happen in a hospital setting.
Old 09-18-21, 02:28 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I've got to see a cardiologist every 6 months and his 'group' has slightly reduced the number of patients they see each day to keep the flow of people moving through and not have a back-up in the waiting room (COVID situation). Seems to be working, as I was in there on Friday about 15 minutes before my appointment, got called in almost immediately, got an EKG and a few other quick tests by the staff, then doctor evaluation/meet-and-discuss for about 15 minutes before leaving about 45 minutes after I arrived. I wish more places were that efficient.

If you're scheduled for a procedure at a hospital and they keep you delayed 4 hours I'd politely complain to the admin office. Issues can happen (mass casualty event nearby, equipment breakdown, or similar situations), but they should be on top of their operations and give you an update. As others have said I'd probably find another doctor and/or hospital if that's the normal situation you encounter.
Old 09-18-21, 04:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Hospitals are so overloaded with unvaxxed Covids that they're turning away people who are having heart attacks. Not a good time to go in, at least not in some states. Wait until after this surge if you can. Or die, like the guy who was turned away from 43 hospitals. As Maverick said, "This is not good."
Old 09-26-21, 11:57 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I’m a semi-retired physician. Whenever I have a doctor’s appointment I make sure I have reading material or some form of entertainment with me. Ya never know.

NB: when the doctor finally gets to see you, please put away your game of solitaire. Having to wait on a patient finishing up a game of solitaire is a twig-snapper for sure.

Old 09-26-21, 06:11 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I had to wait for a bike repair once, learned to do it myself!

gm
Old 09-26-21, 06:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
I had to wait for a bike repair once, learned to do it myself!
That's a good work-around for bike repair delays. Not so much for hernia surgery, though…