Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

10 speed cassette on FH-1055 126mm - why did I think this wouldn't work?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21, 01:04 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts

For some reason I had it in my head that I couldn't run a 10 speed cassette on the Shimano 126mm spaced rear freehubs. Is there some issue with these because the cassette seems to fit just fine?

I was getting ready to list the 7 speed 126mm wheels that came on my softride but on a whim tried fitting a 10 speed cassette. Went on just fine. So this should mean I can through a 10 speed cassette on the old Schwinn 684 I'm getting ready to refurbish. For some reason I've been thinking I was stuck at 7. That bike has DT shifters but now I just need to dig in my stash and see what STI shifters I have available. I guess I can go 8,9, or 10 according to whatever shifters are hiding in the bin.

Good news for the next owner I guess. I'm going to pass this one on now that I have it back from my son but wanted to update it best I can to make it more enjoyable for the new owner.

Anyway, just me ramblings.....not sure why I didn't think I could do this.
Old 09-18-21, 01:31 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
We've been here before. You might need to install a spacer with some combinations, but it should work.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...b-success.html
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 09-18-21, 01:43 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
You might tickle your DS spokes with the RD in the big cog without the 1mm spacer.
Old 09-18-21, 02:00 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
We've been here before. You might need to install a spacer with some combinations, but it should work.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...b-success.html
That's the one I was looking for. I remembered some kind of discussion.
Old 09-18-21, 02:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I think it's normal to think a 10-speed cassette wouldn't work on a 7-speed hub -- there's something like 3mm less "landing" on the freehub body for it. I wouldn't have believed it, but that overhang on the back of the right cassettes seems to make it work.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-19-21, 12:53 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Stick with the ten-speed cassette and their should be no "spoke tickling" at all.

Use an 11s lockring nested into the recess of a 12t smallest cog, and use a lockring with the longest threading that you can find.

Oh, and don't assume that any eight- or nine-speed cassettes will be as narrow at their mounting point as the ten-speed cassettes are (they are wider!).

To your original question, people just naturally assumed that the 10s cassette was if anything, wider, not narrower than the (actually wider) 8- and 9-speed cassettes.
I even assumed that there was a misprint in the literature telling me to use the thin spacer with the older hubs and not with the newer ones.

Last edited by dddd; 09-19-21 at 01:01 AM.