Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Eclipse Road Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Eclipse Road Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-03, 04:58 PM
Captain Crunch
Mad For Marinoni !!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eclipse Road Bikes

Anyone heard of Eclipse road bikes? What do you know and think about them?
Old 04-27-03, 09:47 AM
oscaregg
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only bike I am familiar with under that name was a relabeled French-built TVT carbon bike sold in the late 1980's by the touring bag company Eclipse.
Old 04-27-03, 09:51 AM
danr

Bikes: Trek 8000 (I'm testing a prototype).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also the Jamis Eclipse road bike. They are known as good road bikes, but this year they came out with carbon fiber seatstays and chainstays for their steel framed bike. I haven't heard any reviews on the bike.

Jamis Eclipse 2003

Last edited by danr; 04-27-03 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-28-03, 11:22 AM
Captain Crunch
Mad For Marinoni !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, this is an actual brand name called Eclipse. They sell them in Ottawa at Pecco's. They look pretty decent and have nice components but I know nothing about them and was hoping someone else did.
Old 01-01-05, 04:59 PM
Doctor Who
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish I knew something about the Eclipse Carbon 7 bike I just bought.

And no, it's not a Jamis.
Old 01-02-05, 09:36 AM
lilcog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
I wish I knew something about the Eclipse Carbon 7 bike I just bought.

And no, it's not a Jamis.
There is a shop here in Ottawa,Ontario called Pecco's and their house brand is Eclipse.I think at one time their alu. frames were made by Devinci in Quebec and their ti frames were made in Russia?I have not seen a carbon one yet.Where did you buy the bike?
Old 01-02-05, 11:25 AM
Doctor Who
Lotion/Basket/Hose

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lilcog
There is a shop here in Ottawa,Ontario called Pecco's and their house brand is Eclipse.I think at one time their alu. frames were made by Devinci in Quebec and their ti frames were made in Russia?I have not seen a carbon one yet.Where did you buy the bike?
I bought it from my uncle, who bought it from an outdoor outfitter here in Cincinnati. He purchased the bike around 1990-1992, I think. I've only found one mention of this particular bike on the Internet; obviously it wasn't a popular brand.

Check out this lousy picture I took and tell me if it's the same one you're thinking of.
Old 01-03-05, 08:10 AM
lilcog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought it from my uncle, who bought it from an outdoor outfitter here in Cincinnati. He purchased the bike around 1990-1992, I think. I've only found one mention of this particular bike on the Internet; obviously it wasn't a popular brand.

Check out this lousy picture I took and tell me if it's the same one you're thinking of.
The Eclipse script looks familiar but I've never seen one like that.I'll ask around and try to get back to you in a reasonable time.I've only been in the bike scene for 5yrs so I have not seen everything.
Old 01-05-05, 11:33 PM
lilcog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It does'nt seem to be one of Peccos bikes.Good luck with your search.
Old 08-08-10, 03:07 PM
Just2View
Banned.

Bikes: 2009 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Damaxyz
I've worked at peccos for a year or so and to be honest, Eclipse road bikes are the bomb. They are light, great quality, specifically made for comfort and performance, you can have one for 1200$ + Tax with Shimano 105 or even Campinelo since everyone is a big fan of Italian stuff. Carbon forks back and front. Frames were once the same as DeVinci's (Made in Canada) but now are imported from Thailand. You can get the new obscure for just above 7000 With shimano dura-ace or less with shimano ultegra.

Great road bikes - Good mountain bikes.
Good to know!
Thanks.
Old 09-12-10, 10:42 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a couple of eclipse bikes from Peccos. A Ti mtb, a hybrid and an ultegra touring bike. My wife also owns an aluminum road bike. The aluminum frames are now made in Taiwan - they used to be made by Davinci in Quebec but Davinci started getting most of their frames made in Taiwan in the early 2000s so Peccos went the same route...

I think the ti frames are still made in Russia. My mtb is the only mountan bike frame I have ever had for more than 2 years that has not broken. I like my bikes and will probably strongly consider another Eclipse whenever I shop for my next bike.
Old 06-26-19, 12:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Seems like a spam thread. All these one time posters popping up every few years.
Old 06-27-19, 09:39 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Seems like a spam thread. All these one time posters popping up every few years.
Except Eclipse and the company that imported and assembled them, Peccos Velos, are out of business as of~2 years ago. Maybe there are shills, but they are now shilling on their own free time.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-27-19, 10:02 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Well, nobody had shilled since 2010 until @shelbyfv necroed the thread ;-)

I'm from the area where Pecco's had a store. The Eclipse bikes were build around frames imported from overseas. Nothing wrong with the bikes, but as stated by @wilfred_Laurier, they have now been out of business for a while.
Old 06-27-19, 11:07 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Well, nobody had shilled since 2010 until @shelbyfv necroed the thread ;-)

I'm from the area where Pecco's had a store. The Eclipse bikes were build around frames imported from overseas. Nothing wrong with the bikes, but as stated by @wilfred_Laurier, they have now been out of business for a while.

Also, the 'one time posters' he mentioned are approx. seven individuals with approx. 8000 posts between them. I guess they are just very good at hiding that they are shills for a defunct company.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-27-19, 01:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Actually, some posts have been removed overnight. There were several one time posts after Lardasses 2010 post, which is what prompted me to call it out. Kind of proves the point if one shill was able to delete posts by several "users." Happy for the thread to die again!
Old 06-27-19, 01:57 PM
ChinookTx

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Actually, some posts have been removed overnight. There were several one time posts after Lardasses 2010 post, which is what prompted me to call it out. Kind of proves the point if one shill was able to delete posts by several "users." Happy for the thread to die again!
I'll let it slide, but only this time... ;-)

Makes sense now.
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 06-28-19, 11:03 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

@shelbyfv
What was the content of the removed posts?
Are we sure they were removed by the original posters, or could they have been removed by a mod for some violation of rules?
Old 06-28-19, 12:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

In the nature of "bumps" by several one time posters over a period of time. Possible they were removed as spam but really doesn't matter. RIP!
Old 06-17-20, 04:48 PM
lyf

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following up on this!

I need help: I have an Eclipse road bike from Ottawa in 2007 (Pecco's) and the rear derailleur completely broke in an accident last week.

Where do you think I could find a replacement? I brought it to a bike store in New York but they said they couldn't figure out a replacement part for the rear derailleur hanger/gear system.

The closest I've found is an Import Genius search for Pecco's which led me to a Taiwanese frame manufacturer called Marudean; reached out but I haven't heard back. This is via the only post on this forum by the username Prince74 (links are not allowed by the user interface, sorry!) where they say that Easton parts may work? Not sure which ones

I also have been going through listings for Eclipse bikes and tried getting in touch with the owner, but this has been unsuccessful.

Any other ideas on how to find a replacement? As a student during a pandemic (when bike stores are slammed), this is hard.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by lyf; 06-17-20 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 09:05 AM
ChinookTx

I assume you mean the derailleur hanger is broken?

Post a picture (or a link to a picture) of the derailleur hanger. Usually WheelsMfg have something close enough.
Old 06-18-20, 10:12 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by lyf
I need help: I have an Eclipse road bike from Ottawa in 2007 (Pecco's) and the rear derailleur completely broke in an accident last week.
Lyf,
Welcome to BF, you are going to need 10 posts over a couple of days in order to post pictures.
Given the lack of previous info on this bike, pictures will be required for us to help.

Go visit the introductions section and say hello, it's always good for a couple of posts.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-19-20, 08:54 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Older (pre-2000 or so) Eclipse bikes were made by Davinci in Quebec (aluminum) and Max Ti in Russia (Titanium). After that the aluminum frames were made in Taiwan by a contract manufacturer.

Derailleur hangers should be available from derailleurhangers.com or wheels manufacturing. You generally only need to know the shape and physical dimensions of the hanger than needs replacing.
Old 07-07-20, 12:23 PM
lyf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Older (pre-2000 or so) Eclipse bikes were made by Davinci in Quebec (aluminum) and Max Ti in Russia (Titanium). After that the aluminum frames were made in Taiwan by a contract manufacturer.

Derailleur hangers should be available from derailleurhangers.com or wheels manufacturing. You generally only need to know the shape and physical dimensions of the hanger than needs replacing.
Awesome—yes, I am in touch with the Taiwan manufacturer, Marudean (https://www.edge-design.com.tw/ or marudean.com.tw).

Is Marudean who I should ask about the replacement derailleur hanger?

I found them through this post:

Originally Posted by Prince74
Hey,

Just to let you know Eclipse bikes is a very high quality bike. I own one and LOVE it!! The store I bought it from (Peccos Ottawa) has been great and top notch!

I did some research and found that the bikes are made in Taiwan and is overseen by Peccos to meet their standards. It’s the same Taiwan company that makes higher end bike frames such as Specialized and Davinci. at one time their alu. frames were made by Devinci in Quebec and their ti frames were made in Russia. A friend worked at peccos for a year or so and said Eclipse road bikes are the bomb. They are light, great quality, specifically made for comfort and performance, you can have one for 1200$ + Tax with Shimano 105 or even Campinelo since everyone is a big fan of Italian stuff, and Carbon forks back and front. Frames were once the same as DeVinci's (Made in Quebec) but now are imported from Kao-Hsiung TAICHUNG Thailand. Great road bikes Good mountain bikes.

Maruoen Co LTD 1F no. 639 FuKe Road
Taichung Tiwan R.O.C
https://www.importgenius.com/importer...e-bicycle.html

I also found this… “Eclipse used to be made by DeVinci, I don't believe they are anymore since. Pecco's has some interest in DeVinci and for a number of years they had exclusive rights to sell them (as "Eclipse") in this area; this is no longer the case. Eclipse's up to about '99 were real bargains since they often had bargain-basement prices for the frames for top-notch tubesets (Easton aero downtubes can be seen on many, often the Easton sticker shows through the paint). DeVinci and Eclipse have good pretty good quality and, for any problems, have good warranties”. Peccos don't get there frames from DeVinci anymore. There frames are built in the Specialized factory now.

GREAT bike, super value!

To add on...One of the sales guys also told me most of the house brand parts (Focus and Atomic) are actually Easton.
​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Barry2
Lyf,
Welcome to BF, you are going to need 10 posts over a couple of days in order to post pictures.
Thanks! Took some time but I got there

I assume you mean the derailleur hanger is broken?

Post a picture (or a link to a picture) of the derailleur hanger. Usually WheelsMfg have something close enough.
Here is a photo of the bike (replaced Eclipse with "Beyoncé" for fun! The "Art" is the original decal on the handlebar post.).

I also attached photos of the rear derailleur hanger. The derailleur hanger snapped off in my accident, and this is one that almost fits -- you can see where the bike store mechanic tried to file it down.

Does anyone have an idea of how best to replace this one? Is filing the only way to go as the mechanic said? (They said it wouldn't change gears easily with the current jury rigged fit.)

Thanks so much!

Eclipse 58cm men's road bicycle, Marudean made - bought in 2006-2007 from Pecco's in Ottawa

Rear derailleur hanger, almost fits 58cm men's Eclipse road bicycle from Pecco's in Ottawa, Marudean

Rear derailleur hanger, almost fits 58cm men's Eclipse road bicycle from Pecco's in Ottawa, Marudean
Old 07-12-20, 01:54 PM
lyf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bump -- does anyone have any idea on how to find a new rear derailleur hanger? I've reached out to Wheelsmfg and others as you suggested. Maybe it is time to start going through their catalog manually and visually trying to find a match?

Post a picture (or a link to a picture) of the derailleur hanger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.