Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Basic info on LHT wheel needed

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-20-23, 10:20 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

I need a new front wheel hub and rim for my LHT. The local bike shop told me that 26inch wheels are becoming rare here in Japan and he recommended I go to the original shop where I bought the bike. It's too far and too expensive. So I just want to buy an entire front wheel of a similar quality (or better) then the original Surly. I know nothing about bike bits and have no interest in such things so I have no idea what I should order. Can anyone recommend a replacement wheel, hopefully something sold on Amazon so I have no issues getting it or getting the wrong one? One thing, most of our tours are through mountains and we are often braking for long periods. I think this is why this will be my third wheel replacement, so the thickness of the rim seems important.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 02-20-23, 10:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
What is wrong with the current wheel? It sounds like maybe you have worn down the rim but you wouldn't need anything apart from a new rim and probably some spokes and nipples. Araya is a Japanese company that makes rims and they make a nice double wall rim for rim brakes that would be great for touring: https://www.araya-usa.com/26-rims-1/tm-840f-26 (their Japanese site might be a better place to look from Japan)

There are also from what I know quite a few excellent bike shops in Japan not sure where you are at but I bet it would be easy to call them and I am sure at least one has the parts you need. I am surprised the shop you are at couldn't get you a 26" rim. They are less common but still decently supported.

I know there are some shops who import a lot of U.S. stuff so Velocity would be my top choice or if I had stuff from Europe, Ryde would be a good choice and is popular for touring.
Old 02-20-23, 10:42 PM
waddo

As I said the hub also needs replacing. If I buy a complete wheel I do no need to pay a shop to build it. Thanks for the Araya reminder. I know that company. Unfortunately the link took me to a rim only, which, as I explained, will end up being too expensive. I will root around their web site but I am not sure if I will know what I am looking for.
Old 02-20-23, 11:09 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
I don't know about Japan but most good bicycle shops here in the USA can sell you a wheel. I'd go to another bicycle shop.

I had a look on Amazon Japan for you and didn't find anything high quality.
Old 02-20-23, 11:23 PM
waddo

We have two kinds of bike shops here: most common they fix and sell bikes with shopping baskets on the front which most people ride. The bikes cost 100 to 200 dollars and the staff are clueless (from personal experience). The other is high end bike shops which are few and far between. As the (knowledgeable) guy suggested (who works in a very good bike shop) the place where I bought my surly would be the best option but it's 20km into the city. Also they will have to order it and they will order something expensive to max their profits. And I will have to ride back when it's delivered, leave my bike with them etc etc. That's why I would just like to order a wheel myself. All this is because our trusted shop closed down last week
Old 02-21-23, 08:24 AM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
SJS Cycles in the UK ship to most countries. If your wheel is quick release and you want the most heavy duty rim you can get them go with this.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelswh...ore-hub-black/

The rim weighs 830g which is 300g heavier than many touring rims. You won't wear it out in a hurry.
Old 02-21-23, 09:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
As I said the hub also needs replacing. If I buy a complete wheel I do no need to pay a shop to build it. Thanks for the Araya reminder. I know that company. Unfortunately the link took me to a rim only, which, as I explained, will end up being too expensive. I will root around their web site but I am not sure if I will know what I am looking for.
Curious what is wrong with the hub? It may need an overhaul which happens and is not a reason to replace a hub.

It sounds like you need a 26" rim brake wheel in 100mm more than likely a 559 ISO. I am surprised by the lack of finding a good shop. I do here frequently about good shops in Japan but I sadly have not been.

Good luck
Old 02-21-23, 11:30 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I was prepared to come here saying that online 26" rim brake wheels are plentiful, but did a quick search at several of my go-to sites. And, yes. These wheels have become quite scarce.. Where 4 years ago, there were at least a dozen to choose from, now for front wheel only, there are 1 to 2. It seems that 26" rim brake components will soon disappear completely.
Aliexpress maybe be the best option at this point
Old 02-21-23, 11:43 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Just to clarify for the OP - 559 ISO and MTB 26" as supplied by Surly are the same size.
Old 02-22-23, 02:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
We have two kinds of bike shops here: most common they fix and sell bikes with shopping baskets on the front which most people ride. The bikes cost 100 to 200 dollars and the staff are clueless (from personal experience). The other is high end bike shops which are few and far between. As the (knowledgeable) guy suggested (who works in a very good bike shop) the place where I bought my surly would be the best option but it's 20km into the city. Also they will have to order it and they will order something expensive to max their profits. And I will have to ride back when it's delivered, leave my bike with them etc etc. That's why I would just like to order a wheel myself. All this is because our trusted shop closed down last week
You could always speak up and ask that they order the wheel you want instead of the wheel they want.
Just an idea.
Old 02-22-23, 07:41 PM
waddo

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You could always speak up and ask that they order the wheel you want instead of the wheel they want.
Just an idea.
It seems impossible to order on line so I have no choice but to go to a bike shop. There are two good ones, both far, one where I bought the bike. There is lots of information in this thread about wheels but for me the thickness of the wall where the brake pads rub is most important. From the answers here I know that 559 ISO will be the correct size, but what thickness should I be looking for? Also I believe the spoke specifications are important for the strength. So my modified question is now, what precisely should I order (so that I can properly compare the prices of the two shops).
Old 02-22-23, 09:11 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
ebay seller located in japan, has a dozen or so ads for 26" wheelsets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35460153741...sAAOSwAENj9LmV

you also can look at amazon japan.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/MASTER...KQ/ref=sr_1_17

Last edited by saddlesores; 02-22-23 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 10:06 PM
waddo

Thanks! That amazon link looks interesting. Is it a good rim and price? If so it could solve all my problems.
Old 02-22-23, 11:25 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Thanks! That amazon link looks interesting. Is it a good rim and price? If so it could solve all my problems.
not a recommendation for that particular wheel, but an example of stuff you can find on amazon japan.
there are other26" wheels and wheelsets available.
you'll need to contact the seller for particulars on hub and rim, read the reviews.