Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Burlington VT_Montreal_P’tit Train du Nord

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 12:44 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts

We were planning on doing this tour in 2020..and that didn't happen. We re-considering it for this summer..possibly later August.

This is the route(so far):
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38782552
  • We'll likely take a shuttle from Saint Jerome(?) to Mont Laurier and ride the trail back to Montreal.
  • Also considering storing the bikes somewhere in Montreal(any ideas?) and taking the train to Quebec City as a side trip.
  • I'm interested in any suggestions (plus or minus) on the to/from routes between Burlington and Montreal as well in Montreal itself. Are there better(road surface, less traffic, safety..etc..) or more scenic routes?
  • Great places to eat or stay(this will probably be a mix of camping & credit card tour..still working through that)?
  • Things to see(we're interest in hiking, art, music..). Neither one of us have been in Montreal or Quebec City as tourists.
I realize this route covers a lot of territory and there's probably a long answer to the questions in any one area..but any thoughts are welcome.
Old 02-16-23, 03:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
At some point during the year ( Maybe after Labor Day) the bike ferry on the Island Line Trail only runs on weekends.
Old 02-16-23, 06:56 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Last summer, I rode form Burlington to Montreal, then took the train to Chambord for the Veloroute des Bluets. The bridges to get into the city have information numbers to check for closures. I did it in three days so I would have plenty of time to find my way into a strange city. All of the campgrounds I stayed in were heavily biased towards RVs. The people were friendly, including the motorized traffic. The road signage was great. My road atlas from MapArt was not. It omitted some road names and obscured others with the labels for major routes. The Veolroute guide did not have regular roads, the road atlas did not have bike routes. Montreal is very bike friendly, so much so that many people will want to take your bike home with them. Don't leave them on the street at night. There were lots of other riders, and they were friendly and helpful.
Happy to answer any other questions.
Old 02-20-23, 08:03 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
fishboat, if you have never been to Mtl or Quebec City, you'll both enjoy doing the tourist thing, both are fun places to walk around and see stuff. Quebec City is especially interesting, especially if you have never been to Europe, as the old part of the city is a unique sort of place in N America and really fun to walk around in.

you should easily find all kinds of Ptit train du nord info, and yes, taking the shuttle up to Mont Laurier and then heading down is a fun trip, and there are lots of options info on finding accomodations along the way, even companies that will carry your luggage from your lodging each day.

https://ptittraindunord.com/en/get-r...train-du-nord/

you will also easily find lots of tourist suggestions for both Mtl and Q City, but feel free to ask about stuff here in Montreal.
I second the pretty standard warning about being careful about your bikes, not really any different than in any large urban setting.
re going to QCity and leaving bikes, one option is either at a hotel you are staying at, or even at a bike store. If you really end up coming here, I could give you some bike store names to call and ask if its something they would do.
Old 02-28-23, 12:00 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
We try to always grab breakfast at Olive et Gourmando on Rue Saint-Paul Ouest when we visit Montreal.

If you have time and like history (of which Montreal has tons of), you might like Pointe-à-callière, Montreal archaeology and history complex in Old Montreal.