Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should I be concerned?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-23, 03:41 PM
Mondo734

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should I be concerned?

I was cleaning my bike after a really mucky MUP trip and noticed these lines on the inside of my carbon fork. Are these something I should be concerned about, or are they just cosmetic? The fork is a carbon fork and the bike is about 11 years old. Bike is well ridden, but also well taken care. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-05-23, 03:54 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I am far from expert on carbon fiber, but, from the looks and the location, they sure look to me like they could be cracks. Almost impossible to say for sure from a picture. I will say that I would be concerned about them. A failure at that location could be catastrophic for the rider. I would be having it looked at by someone knowledgeable in carbon fiber and bike frame sets.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-05-23, 04:15 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I would be having it looked at by someone knowledgeable in carbon fiber and bike frame sets.
+1. If taking it to a bike shop get 2 or 3 opinions as not all mechanics are CF experts even though they may feel they are IME. I wouldn't rely on an opinion based on a photo. Photos can distort what the eye can see in the flesh.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-05-23, 04:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
if you can, feed water thru the inside & see if it weeps out from the suspect areas...
Old 03-05-23, 04:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
After 11years it's not likely that a cosmetic defect would suddenly show up.

If this were other than up near the fork crown, I might say otherwise, but this calls for the most conservative approach. Namely replace the fork.

You might satisfy yourself if you stressed the fork and watched the crack closely to see if it spreads.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-05-23, 04:57 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. Part of the reasons I photod the fork was so that I have a reference for if they seem to spread or get worse. When I mentioned a cosmetic issue I was more meaning a paint crack/chip type of issue not a manufacturer defect. I'll definitely take it in to my lbs and see what they tell me. If the fork needs to be replaced, depending on the cost it may just be time retire the bike.
Old 03-05-23, 05:35 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
A tap test is the only thing a shop mechanic has available to them in determining if it is a crack. I recall way back when the Profile Fly and the Kestral 4000 showed these cracks, but they were in the paint, not the carbon. Could junk the fork and go with a steel one to avoid another mystery event in the future.
Old 03-05-23, 11:38 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

You might satisfy yourself if you stressed the fork and watched the crack closely to see if it spreads.
Yeah, try to pull it apart like Stretch Armstrong. If it breaks you'll be glad you didn't ride it, and if it doesn't get worse you can be more confident that it's sound.

But my eye says "crack".
Old 03-06-23, 12:27 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Strip the paint to see if it's in the carbon. Or just get a new fork, whichever is easier/preferable.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 03-06-23, 12:33 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
If you decide the fork is too iffy, don't abandon the bike (unless you want to, of course) until you check out aftermarket forks. The only full carbon ones I'm personally familiar with are Columbus. They make a variety of beautiful options, and you might find one that is worth while to you. It would be black but a lot of times a black fork on a white bike has been a style statement. On the other hand, they're very easy to paint, either yourself or professionally. There are other options, just not that I'm familiar with.
Old 03-06-23, 12:29 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
I have similar looking hairline cracks on my down tube next to the head tube, I was actually about to post something similar! I'm debating if I should bring my bike to a carbon fiber repair shop. Though forks are easier to replace. They sell take-off and new forks on places like Ebay or other online sources.
Old 03-12-23, 08:53 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all of the comments everyone. I finally had a chance to take it to the lbs I trust the most and had two mechanics look it over. They did the tap test and they both concluded that the cracks are just paint cracks.
Likes For Mondo734:
Old 03-13-23, 11:52 AM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Is that paint or gel coat? If Gel, it's not nearly as concerning as it would be with paint.
Honestly not sure, its whatever the stock bike came with from Specialized when I originally bought it. FYI it's a 2012 Specialized Crux Apex disc.
Old 03-13-23, 11:54 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo734
Honestly not sure, its whatever the stock bike came with from Specialized when I originally bought it. FYI it's a 2012 Specialized Crux Apex disc.
I would contact them.
Old 03-13-23, 01:13 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would contact them.
would their archive with all the bike details have that info. I'm not really sure what the difference is or why its important. Care explain a bit?
Old 03-13-23, 01:19 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
If I was the original owner, I'd take that to a Spec dealer and make them tell me it was nothing but a paint crack. Spec might error on the side of caution and warranty the fork or the whole bike. Any shop that isn't a Spec dealer doesn't have as much skin in the game as one that is.
Old 03-13-23, 02:12 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo734
would their archive with all the bike details have that info. I'm not really sure what the difference is or why its important. Care explain a bit?
well, number one is that there may be a voluntary recall on that fork. two they can tell you if it's got a gel coat.
Old 03-13-23, 02:41 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nomadmax
If I was the original owner, I'd take that to a Spec dealer and make them tell me it was nothing but a paint crack. Spec might error on the side of caution and warranty the fork or the whole bike. Any shop that isn't a Spec dealer doesn't have as much skin in the game as one that is.
The lbs I took it to is a Specialized dealer, that being said should I possibly take it to Bike Source since they are owned by Specialized?
Old 03-13-23, 02:43 PM
Mondo734

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well, number one is that there may be a voluntary recall on that fork. two they can tell you if it's got a gel coat.
I guess what I wasnt understanding is why gel coat vs paint would matter in this situation. Pardon the ignorance for not knowing the difference. Would you be able to explain why the cracks are less concerning if it's gel?
Old 03-13-23, 02:46 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If the lines are strait, they are most likely the places where the legs were glued to the top of the fork.
Old 03-13-23, 11:36 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Personally I think 11 "well ridden" years is plenty for a carbon fork. I'm fairly conservative about such matters as faceplanting in the street is not my jam, I'd stop riding that thing. Replace or retire is my advice.
Old 03-17-23, 06:23 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
It could be paint only, it could be a crack. I don't like the place where it's located. It makes me think it's probably a crack. It could also be that the tire dragged mud or something and it scratched the paint.

Breaking forks are the stuff of nightmares though, so If I was unsure about it, I'd probably try to find a new fork.

Despite having a couple of carbon forks at home, I hate carbon exactly for this type of things.
Old 03-17-23, 08:17 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames and non-suspension forks for original owners as long as it was registered when purchased. If it turns out the fork is failing, you may be eligible for a free replacement.
Likes For Crankycrank: