Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

advocacy OK but politics NO ?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-15-23, 04:49 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts

Evidently the conservative moderators running this website are offended by "political" posts. As advocacy cannot be discussed in a non-political manner when all the decisions about our environment in which we ride is determined by politicians and the people they take money from, it escapes me why this subforum exists at all.
Old 03-15-23, 07:16 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Evidently the conservative moderators running this website are offended by "political" posts. As advocacy cannot be discussed in a non-political manner when all the decisions about our environment in which we ride is determined by politicians and the people they take money from, it escapes me why this subforum exists at all.
You are welcome to join P and R where politics and Religion have a place
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 03-15-23, 08:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
It's possible to be an advocate here while not crossing the line into politics.

The.key is focus. This is a BICYCLE forum so stick to the bicycle related issues within the context of your worldview.

So, if you want to talk about climate change, talk about how to increase bicycling vs. driving instead.

Or, do as the other person said and move to P&R.

FWIW bicycling is what we all share, but for all practical purposes may be the ONLY thing we share. Outside of this we probably span the full spectrum of opinions, running from the most woke to the most right. People here need to be mindful to stay with what binds us rather than with what divides us.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-15-23 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-16-23, 07:03 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I appreciate the effort to keep politics in P&R. I think you are incorrect to conflate mod cleanup with their personal political persuasions. I figure it's demographics but if you really want to get riled up, visit an RV forum.
Old 03-16-23, 07:14 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
FWIW I believe that the OP's reference to conservative Mods didn't mean politically, as in right wing.

I read it as conservative, as in restrictive in content, ie. sex, language, tone, etc.

If I'm wrong, then so is the OP, because I'm willing to bet any number of imported beers that most of the Mods lean to left of center.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-16-23, 09:01 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,413 Posts
Spot on, accurate responses to the original post. Thank you, gentlemen!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-16-23, 11:20 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 761 Posts
This is why BF is the closest thing to "social media" I participate in anymore. No shadowbanning, "curating", algorithms, or pushed feeds - just as little or as much of the fire hose of postings as one wants at their own selection and discretion, focused on bicycles and the nuts that hold down the handlebars, and from a remarkable variety of viewpoints and experiences.

I thank the mods for keeping politics over in P&R, and addressing situations where a commentor decides to mix politics into cycling issues.
Old 03-16-23, 03:37 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Evidently the conservative moderators running this website are offended by "political" posts.
There is no evidence of them being "conservative" or that they are "offended",

Instead, it could be that dealing with political threads, which not-infrequently get out of hand, are too much work to moderate.

(I'm pretty sure the moderators are volunteers. So, what more do you want for free?)

https://memecreator.org/static/images/memes/5050967.jpg

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-17-23 at 07:08 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-16-23, 04:31 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
Since joining, I have seen no evidence of any bias one way or the other from the moderators. If there was any reasonably obvious bias, I would leave quickly.
Likes For robobike316:
Old 03-16-23, 07:08 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
There's an old saying that all politics is local. Which practically speaking tends to be true of politics involving cycling advocacy. And local politics can usually be discussed without adding the partisan rancor that makes them "political."
Old 03-17-23, 11:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
There's an old saying that all politics is local. Which practically speaking tends to be true of politics involving cycling advocacy. And local politics can usually be discussed without adding the partisan rancor that makes them "political."
And we have my town, Ann Arbor, which is so solidly Democratic that while rancor is possible between local officers, its MUCH more based on the elements of local issues and their points than on weighing the Democratic versus Republican issues.
Old 03-17-23, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
A&S has an uncomfortable boundary line because it really is impossible to discuss policy without some discussion of politics. I think the mods do a good job of being reasonable about this, essentially limiting the discussion of politics to the minimum needed to understand the issues involved in transportation and/or safety policy and not allowing it to slop into more generalized statements of tribal partisan politics.

A simple example--it's literally impossible to discuss meaningfully why you don't see more on-street parking bans in downtown areas without discussing the interest groups involved. It is not, however, necessary to invoke the evils of capitalism or the horrors of wokeism or whatever to have that discussion, and the mods would no doubt cut that bit out.
Old 03-17-23, 03:00 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
On balance, I think the moderation of this group is pretty darned good, and that's coming from a guy who has been banned and received infractions. The moderation is tighter than it is on some of the forums I play in, but you know that up front, and it's consistent from what I can tell.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-20-23, 09:09 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
To control the opposition. You can talk politics. But that discussion will be censored to avoid things getting too radical.
Old 03-25-23, 09:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Is it political to advocate to bring back the gibbeting cage? For offensive drivers and other riff raff, I mean.
Old 03-29-23, 06:15 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I am a member that believes the mods do a consistent, good job. I had a post that was deleted by one of the mods as being unrelated to the original post. I questioned the reason for the deletion, explained why I thought it was relevant, the post was re-instated. I have had other posts that were deleted, in which I understood and accepted the reasoning. It is, IMO, a job in which not everyone is going to be pleased with some decisions. That comes with the territory.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-29-23, 07:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I am a member that believes the mods do a consistent, good job. I had a post that was deleted by one of the mods as being unrelated to the original post. I questioned the reason for the deletion, explained why I thought it was relevant, the post was re-instated. I have had other posts that were deleted, in which I understood and accepted the reasoning. It is, IMO, a job in which not everyone is going to be pleased with some decisions. That comes with the territory.
I'm not doing my "job" if I'm not getting a post deleted from A&S now and then.