Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with your clock getting faster as the years go by?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-19-23, 03:06 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Went for a ride today, about 20 miles on my old Dawes Galaxy. Blue jeans and tennis shoes. When I was passed by other bikes, it was, "Oh well, I'm riding easy today." (For the sake of argument, ignore the fact that I ride easy most days. )
Old 03-19-23, 07:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
How old are you? I'd imagine that stuff only turns the clock back so many years. There aren't enough "aero cheats" to get 71 year old me riding as fast as 40 year old me did. I am okay with that though. It is great to still be riding regularly.
68 is great Will never ride as fast as a 40 YO but I would be happy with a 55 YO.

Old 03-19-23, 10:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E

My 90 minute ride has turned into 97 minutes.
Originally Posted by Biker395
I thought you were referring to how fast time goes by as you get older.
No ****, Biker395. That's a far bigger issue. Compared to when I was age 10 and the day seemed to drag on forever, the earth now speeds around the sun at a dangerously crazy pace where the day of the week doesn't matter and the month barely stands still.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-20-23, 08:59 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I turned 58 this past Friday. How did I celebrate? The same way I've been doing since I got into endurance sports about a decade ago. Shamrock weekend/Dolphin Challenge, baby! You have the beach, the sun, the after party and the rest of the people celebrating with me. You think I give a rat's a$$ about my time? I'm out there doing/enjoying it because I can and made it another year.

https://www.shamrockmarathon.com/2022-race-video/

Last edited by seypat; 03-20-23 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-20-23, 09:18 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Shamrock weekend/Dolphin Challenge, baby!
Not having heard of this, I searched. It seems to be an 8k Saturday and a half marathon Sunday. Both substantial efforts no doubt, but what do they have to do with dolphins (no water seemed to be involved)?
Old 03-20-23, 09:45 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Not having heard of this, I searched. It seems to be an 8k Saturday and a half marathon Sunday. Both substantial efforts no doubt, but what do they have to do with dolphins (no water seemed to be involved)?
They have to put some kind of snazzy name to it. Just an ocean/beach thing. The 8k/marathon challenge is called the Whale Challenge. BITD when the half and full marathons started at different times, they had a challenge called the King Neptune Challenge. You run past a big statue of King Neptune about 50 yards before the finish. To complete that challenge, you had to complete the half in a certain time, cross the finish line, then go down a chute and start the marathon. If you didn't run the half fast enough, a gate on the chute to the full course would be closed and you couldn't complete the challenge. The Shamrock has the best after party I've been to in that huge tent on the beach. 4 beer/beverage tickets on your bib. A bowl of Irish stew from Murphy's Irish Pub. Lot's of swag. The whole weekend is a rolling St. Patrick's Day festival with some running included.

Last edited by seypat; 03-20-23 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-20-23, 09:54 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I see you're in the Chicago area. BITD when one of my brothers live in Chicago, I used to do an event there called the Men's Health Urbanathlon. 11 mile obstacle course. That was a fun event. Now, I think it's a Rugged Maniac or Tough Mudder.
Old 03-20-23, 10:12 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
No ****, Biker395. That's a far bigger issue. Compared to when I was age 10 and the day seemed to drag on forever, the earth now speeds around the sun at a dangerously crazy pace where the day of the week doesn't matter and the month barely stands still.
My theory is that the reason is that we perceive time as a percentage of the time we have been alive. So when you are 5, one year is 20% of your life and seems to take forever. When you are 10, it is 1/10, and at 20, it is 1/20, and goes proportionally quicker. When you are in your 50s, 60s, and 70s ... it flies by.

Old 03-20-23, 10:20 AM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Simple when you retire time doesn't matter, what time change? Oh wait why isn't the Price is Right on?
Old 03-20-23, 10:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
On the inability to do new PRs and so on... You can do that at any age with mountain biking if you ride new routes over the years. Pick a new route to concentrate on and you can improve for a year or more by honing lines and training. You may not be getting faster overall, but can for that route. It adds an element of fun that may have been missing for a while.

BTW being retired and able to ride every day and what time of day you like is a real nice perk of getting older.
How old are you out there risking life and limb mtbing?

Have to admit that for the years, I loved the challenge, the exhilaration, the constant learning and the danger of mountain biking. One of the drivers was getting away from inattentive drivers. Unfortunately after a non-related back injury, I had to give it up since it only aggravated it. Those were good years and helped by road bike handling skills, so all is not lost. Enjoy you 71 YO.

Old 03-20-23, 12:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
My theory is that the reason is that we perceive time as a percentage of the time we have been alive. So when you are 5, one year is 20% of your life and seems to take forever. When you are 10, it is 1/10, and at 20, it is 1/20, and goes proportionally quicker. When you are in your 50s, 60s, and 70s ... it flies by.
The brain study people say the "time goes faster when you're old" effect is due to the old brain geting worse at laying down memories.

Old 03-21-23, 05:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
How old are you out there risking life and limb mtbing?

Have to admit that for the years, I loved the challenge, the exhilaration, the constant learning and the danger of mountain biking. One of the drivers was getting away from inattentive drivers. Unfortunately after a non-related back injury, I had to give it up since it only aggravated it. Those were good years and helped by road bike handling skills, so all is not lost. Enjoy you 71 YO.
Yeah, thanks. I hope to continue for quite a few years, but we don't get any guarantees. I am pretty good at falling safely when I do fall and minimizing injuries, also I have good bone density so that helps. With cars and hard surfaces I have had more serious injuries on than off road over the decades. Also where I am we aren't blessed with many long downhills so high speed crashes are less likely here. It is little ups and downs over roots and ruts on the more technical stuff here on my part of the Florida panhandle. We do have more hills than you'd expect for Florida, but it is still Florida. There are actually a few really steep grades here, but never real long and the ones on my regular rides are short.

My dad had a poodle take out his front wheel when he was 78 (on a country road). He broke his collar bone, healed quickly, and was back on the bike as soon as a youngster. I figure he might not have crashed if he had developed and maintained better bike handlng skills with some mountain biking. So just maybe I'll break fewer bones by mountain biking.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 03-21-23, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
I thought you were referring to how fast tine goes by as you get older. I’m totally comfortable with getting older and slower. It’s a privilege not everyone gets.
I thought the thread was literally going to be about your clock getting faster. The clock of my CatEye computer keeps becoming 16 minutes fast no matter how often I reset it.
Old 03-21-23, 06:54 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I thought the thread was literally going to be about your clock getting faster. The clock of my CatEye computer keeps becoming 16 minutes fast no matter how often I reset it.
That's what I thought as well. BTW, happy belated birthday. I think yours was one day last week. Same for me and same age as well. Yours was way more special this year. Glad you made it. Hopefully, you'll be taking off on one of those touring adventures before long.
Old 03-22-23, 03:26 AM
indyfabz

That's what I thought as well. BTW, happy belated birthday. I think yours was one day last week. Same for me and same age as well. Yours was way more special this year. Glad you made it. Hopefully, you'll be taking off on one of those touring adventures before long.
Thanks. Yes. It was the 13th. I should be home in a week or two. Cancelled my Easter long weekend trip. Maybe I’ll get something in this late September/early fall. I was literally off my feet for some two months. I need to work on my walking before I can ride.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-22-23, 06:06 AM
seypat

Thanks. Yes. It was the 13th. I should be home in a week or two. Cancelled my Easter long weekend trip. Maybe I’ll get something in this late September/early fall. I was literally off my feet for some two months. I need to work on my walking before I can ride.
That's a heck of a journey you're on.

A wise man once said, "Put one foot in front of the other."
Old 03-22-23, 09:27 AM
indyfabz

That's a heck of a journey you're on.

A wise man once said, "Put one foot in front of the other."
I just happened to have my first shower of 2023 this morning and did more walking with a walker. I’m so out of shape.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-23-23, 12:42 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
I just happened to have my first shower of 2023 this morning and did more walking with a walker. I’m so out of shape.
but hopefully in the not too distant future will be ‘good as new’ ... good as the old indyfabz
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-23-23, 01:24 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
At 58 I'm not liking my slower pace and lesser ability to climb. I was doing great until about 52 years old.
Old 03-23-23, 02:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
At 58 I'm not liking my slower pace and lesser ability to climb. I was doing great until about 52 years old.
Are you riding as much, and training as hard, as you were 6 years ago?

Old 03-23-23, 03:42 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
At 82, I often feel I'm going at a pretty good clip, when somebody goes past, even though he or she does't look like they are peddling particularly fast, The same when I'm walking at what seems a pretty good pace, and someone passes me even though they don't look like they are walking very fast. I've heard that this normal as we age, that is, time seems to go faster than when you are young. I just get used to it and am glad I can bike and walk without problems..
Likes For ironwood:
Old 03-24-23, 05:50 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Are you riding as much, and training as hard, as you were 6 years ago?
yes i am. Last year was a good mileage year. I'm just not as strong. I'm thinking to get back to where I was I would probably have to get a coach (ain't happenin) and clean up my diet (working on that). The older bod isn't as lenient as it was.

ah! I have gotten away from running though. Perhaps if I get back to that, some strength will return.
Old 03-24-23, 07:57 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
Ignore the clock and just enjoy yourself.
Likes For arex:
Old 03-25-23, 08:05 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Clock getting faster:

The mind is slower and the clock is the same. It takes longer to recall things, even things way back in time. Even when you're on the keyboard, the missteps and speed become more prevalent. The time to think things through seems to require more effort. All kinds of everyday events are subject to this "mind-body" thing.

Biking is no exception.
Old 03-25-23, 08:39 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
I’m 71 and I’ve been slowing down for about 20 years. But I’ve never been a fast rider, so I’ve gotten over it. Acceptance, I guess. I do still have good endurance, and am thankful for that.

I’ve somewhat compensated by getting a faster bike. Well two actually. If I feel like going faster, I ride one of those.
Likes For canalligators:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.