Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Which of these two bikes should I use for a retro rebuild?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-22, 03:31 PM
NDL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts

Hi I am new to Gravel, I have a few road bikes and track bikes but never had a MTB/gravel bike. I am only into steel bikes from the 80s and 90s and found two candidates locally for a retro rebuild, both are relatively cheap. I have collected enough parts for this build so just deciding on the frame.
The bikes are Trek 820 mountain track & Shogun Trailbreaker 2, both have very similar geometry and from around 1996 to 1998 judging from the shimano groupset.
Can someone please tell me which one I should pick up and why?
Old 12-22-22, 04:15 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 1,822 Posts
How about some pictures? Is the Shogun the triple triangle model?
Old 12-23-22, 02:20 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 197 Posts
I think the answer to this should depend on what size the two bikes are and their condition more than the models. Since you're posting this in the gravel forum I'd guess you're planning to put drop bars on, so go with a frame that's a 1-2" bigger than you'd normally want for a mountain bike. You'll have a much easier time with getting a proper fit that way, otherwise getting a stem that's tall/short enough can be more of a challenge or more expensive than you expect.
Likes For lasauge: