Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

110 bcd triple/double bashguard question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-17-23, 10:08 AM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

So I’m in the middle of creating a build spec for a Surly Bridge Club. Thank you to those who answered my earlier question from a couple days ago about rims. Now I’m looking at drive train.

I have a cargo bike with a 44/34/24 110/74 bcd triple (Andel spider/square taper) crankset and 11-36 10 speed cassette in the back so I am kinda familiar with how these things work. I lowered the outer and middle chain rings last year (from 48 to 44 and 36 to 34) and it has really made the entire crankset more useable.

But for this build I am flirting with a 1x11 system with a 32 T crank and 11-51 in the back for simplicity however what is making me lean towards a 2x10 system is a few things (sorry for the wind - just setting the stage for my question here):
1) Front derailleur will help with chain retention
2) To spread wear over 2 chainrings instead of 1
3) Way better chain line for the gear range with the right length bottom bracket
4) Theoretical tighter gaps between gears due to having less range in the rear cassette for better cadence matching.

I realize the double chain ring comes with more complexity, a weight penalty, and extra shifter etc.

So here is what I am thinking:
A front double with either 36 or 34 outer and 28 inner with an 11-42 10 speed rear cassette. With 27.5 x 2.25” tires I’ll have a nice low 17 gear inch’s on the lowest gear and the gap between outer and inner chain ring is almost akin to a half step which makes for more or less a jump between outer and inner that is akin to a jump in gears between while shifting the rear cassette. So my question is for 110/74 spiders:

If you got a 110/74 bcd triple spider (I know they make doubles) do they have a bashguard that replaces the outer chain ring position ? Or does it go overtop of the outer chainring ? And then I could use the 36 or 34 for the middle (now outer) and a 28 for the inner (74 bcd). Any thoughts on this and the above are welcomed. Thanks!
Old 02-17-23, 11:17 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
i know there are 5-arm 110 bcd rock rings, don't know if 4-arm type available. (only 104mm?)
if not, you could take a big ring and grind the teeth off.

Last edited by saddlesores; 02-17-23 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-17-23, 12:15 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Can you live with a highest gear of 36 x 11 ? My guess is you'll be spinning out frequently but maybe not.
Old 02-17-23, 01:58 PM
speyfitter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Can you live with a highest gear of 36 x 11 ? My guess is you'll be spinning out frequently but maybe not.
Yeah I’m good with 34-36 x 11 - can do just sub 40 km/h if needed which is more than enough for a loaded all road touring bike in my view.
Old 02-17-23, 02:22 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If you want a double with a bashguard, buy a triple. Either then buy a bashguard or make one with the big ring. You may have to do some math the get the spindle the right length for chainline.

I used a saber saw to cut the teeth off of a 52T chainring years ago, then bolted that onto the crank. Turned the crank by hand for maybe 10 or 15 minutes (yes it was boring) with a file in hand to remove the uneven metal from the saber saw cuts. The alluminum filled in some of the saber saw blade teeth, I think I consumed two saber saw blades.

In the photo, I had not yet painted my new bashguard (that says 52T on it) black to match the crankset. This is a bike with an internally geared hub, not a derailleur bike. Only a single chainring, but I bought a double crank so that I could use a bashguard.

In my case, I bought the chainrings separately from the crank spider.

ADDENDUM: After I sprayed it black, below (disregard the white background, that is snow):

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-17-23 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-17-23, 02:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
https://bbgbashguard.com/shop

https://bbgbashguard.com/shop/ols/pr...39t-cyclocross
-or-
https://bbgbashguard.com/shop/ols/pr...44t-cyclocross

Just slap it on as the outer ring of a 110/74 triple, set the two inner rings up however you want, and get the chainline right with a square taper bottom bracket that puts the middle of the inner 2 rings in line with the middle of your cassette.
Old 02-17-23, 03:32 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 760 Posts
Same as Tourist in MSN. I've used aftermarket 110 BCD bash/chainguards and ones I've made myself from worn-out larger chainrings.

Examples: