Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sturmy Archer 2spd Kickback Rebuild

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-12-23, 03:19 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts

My SA 2spd has gotten noisy- in the work stands anyway.
I’ve found a Park Tool video and exploded assembly diagram.

I’ve had my coaster brake hub apart & repacked with heavy grease.

For this hub I’m thinking I need to use more like a gear oil. I’ve got an old-ish container of differential oil.

Before I open this victim- I mean patient, is gear oil what I need? Something else all together?

Any warnings? Cautionary tales?

I’m thinking I remove from the hub shell. Clean with brake clean or some kind of clean drying electronics solvent. Let it dry out. Then coat everything with gear oil. Reassemble all the parts I don’t lose.
thanks

https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files...20-%20TS2C.pdf

Last edited by mrv; 03-12-23 at 03:20 PM. Reason: links
Old 03-12-23, 05:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
Yes, these hubs are "splash" lubricated. They call for oil which circulates like the action of front loading washing machines.

Gear oil, or any non-detergent machine (not motor) oils is fine.

The advice to avoid motor oil is because som we IGH hubs use permanent bonded lubes which can react with additives on motor oils. If you know its not an issue, then 20-30 weight motor oil is fine.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-12-23, 09:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
It's sort of a given here on BikeForums that folks will use anything but the factory lubrication in Sturmey-Archer IGHs.

Since 1984 S-A IGHs have been lubricated at the factories with NLGI #00 semi-fluid grease. S-A sells some under their part number and references a commercial brand, but really any NLGI #00 semi-fluid grease meets spec and will do.

Here's the one, the only, Aaron Goss starring in the official factory S-A video of taking apart and reassembling the S-A A2 hub.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...S3LtQUkpwQ50TP

Last edited by tcs; 03-12-23 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-13-23, 05:22 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by tcs
It's sort of a given here on BikeForums that folks will use anything but the factory lubrication in Sturmey-Archer IGHs.
haha! True! I think my wife just brought home a new jar of peanut butter, I should be good to go!

Thanks for the lubricant info and the video links. I'll check those out.
- looking at the S-A website, I see no lubricants sold at all. In the S-A assembly drawing for the hub, no lubricant is listed. Looking at Universal Cycles, I don't see a S-A lubricant for sale either.
I'll take a better look around the interwebs later today.
Thanks again!
Likes For mrv:
Old 03-13-23, 07:01 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
For my newer SA hubs (without oil ports), I use NGLI 00 grease. It's sort of like a thick sticky oil. For the axle bearings I use regular grease. I've heard of some folks drilling the shell for an oil port to convert to oil lube, but I can't see that that will improve performance.

The S2 hubs are pretty simple to work on. I've had one on various bikes for many years and really like their simplicity. The only problem I've had with them is that an internal lock nut pair would separate causing the hub to stay in high. A bit of tightening and thread locker solved this.

I use a brass rod and hammer to loosen the ball ring. The brass will not damage the slots in the ring.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-13-23, 10:21 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Sturmey's branded grease is SA103A, part number HMA106

IIRC this is just repackaged Castrol NLGI #00. You can often find an NLGI #00 in lawnmower shops - this semi-fluid grease is used in string trimmer gearboxes. I have a tube of Super S brand NLGI #00 "meets John Deere Cotton Picker Spindle lubrication specifications" I found at Tractor Supply. The Sturmey-heads in the UK are fond of an NLGI #00 they get from Land Rover dealers.

NLGI #00 under pressure flows and wicks like oil, but unlike oil, it's not terribly prone to leaking out.

Ah, but to clarify, this light grease is for the internal mech - the bearings and labyrinth seals use an NLGI #2. Sturmey calls theirs SA103B. Sturmey aesthetes are prone to choosing a hydrophobic NLGI #2 (boat trailer axle bearing grease) like Sta-Lube Marine Grease or Fuchs Renolit CA-LZ.

But like I said, this is just how the factory does it. Folks use all kinds of lubricants on these hubs, from the thoughtfully considered to the crackpot, and the hubs mostly remain calm and carry on.

Fun fact: after the War, when things were in short supply and rationed, Sturmey officially said one could lubricate their hub with sewing machine oil and pack the bearings and seals with Vaseline!

Last edited by tcs; 03-14-23 at 04:25 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-13-23, 11:53 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by tcs
Sturmey's branded grease is SA103A, part number HMA106

IIRC this is just repackaged Castrol NLGI #00. You can often find an NLGI #00 in lawnmower shops - this semi-fluid grease is used in string trimmer gearboxes. I have a tube of Super S brand NLGI #00 "meets John Deere Cotton Picker Spindle lubrication specifications" I found at Tractor Supply. The Sturmey-heads in the UK are fond of an NLGI #00 they get from Land Rover dealers.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ndle-grease-00

TSC it is! They got it in stock and everything. Can't find the S-A branded stuff. Amazon and Google keep puking up results, but it looks more like heavy grease.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-23, 04:11 PM
tcs
Palmer

Theoretically, NGLI #00 is available in 9oz tubes, a more appropriate quantity for our purposes. Haven't found a place to source it yet, though.

Old 03-19-23, 02:32 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Lefty-Losey?

Attempting to remove the bearing ring.
It’s this reverse threaded?
Anybody want to rent me the correct spanner?

I’m not making progress being careful with the incorrect tools….

Righty-Tighty!!

here it is - got it:

Last edited by mrv; 03-19-23 at 03:50 PM. Reason: nevermind
Old 03-19-23, 07:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv

This is the tool you need. I got it from BikeToolsEtc.com. It wasn't in the on-line catalog; I sent an email explaining what I needed, and they sent this:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-19-23, 08:03 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv

Righty-Tighty!!

here it is - got it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUCKfwk32tI
In lieu of the correct tool, a brass punch and hammer works to loosen the ball ring. Brass is preferable to steel because it will not mar the ring, and the tip will deform slightly to gain better purchase on the lip of the scalloped notches. Right hand thread. so lefty loosy.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 03-20-23, 05:42 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
In lieu of the correct tool, a brass punch and hammer works to loosen the ball ring. Brass is preferable to steel because it will not mar the ring, and the tip will deform slightly to gain better purchase on the lip of the scalloped notches. Right hand thread. so lefty loosy.
Right - I saw that in an earlier post - much appreciated - I have it a "whack" - many whacks, some with enthusiasm. But, as the kids say, "No joy in Mudville.." If my LBS can't do a tool rental, I'll try again. I might buy a tool if I can keep it under $30.
Old 03-20-23, 08:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Sturmey-Archer S2:

The official tool is the HTR145 Ball Ring Spanner.
Old 03-20-23, 08:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Sturmey's tools - collect the whole set!

Likes For tcs:
Old 03-20-23, 08:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

When you're finished, get a sign to hang over your workbench:

Last edited by tcs; 03-20-23 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-20-23, 08:47 AM
tcs
Palmer

I saw this homemade Sturmey hub shell holder (for use with a big vice) on the net:

The larger slot is for oil port clearance (your modern S2 won't have an oil port).
Old 03-20-23, 09:05 AM
tcs
Palmer

The S-A ball ring is a two-start thread. Sturmey lore suggests marking the ball ring (with a grease pencil or a pair of automatic center punch dings or somethin') prior to removal so you restart on the same thread. I haven't had any coffee and can't remember why - Dan will know.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-20-23, 10:41 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by tcs
When you're finished, get a sign to hang over your workbench:

.... becoming my early retirement plan. I'll be the Pastor Bob of S-A Refurbishment.
Maybe he'll let me make it a sub-page..... https://www.freewheelspa.com/
Likes For mrv:
Old 03-20-23, 10:43 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by tcs
The S-A ball ring is a two-start thread. Sturmey lore suggests marking the ball ring (with a grease pencil or a pair of automatic center punch dings or somethin') prior to removal so you restart on the same thread. I haven't had any coffee and can't remember why - Dan will know.
possibly some alignment with the engagement. I'll make note of it.... assuming I get this ring out!
Old 04-30-23, 11:49 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Finally got back‘round to it

Forgot to do the paint mark thing for the ring. This meant taking it back apart and remembering I was so supposed to mark the ring - hub to align things.
Second try got it.

time for a test ride.

Mostly apart. But not all the way.

Didn’t remove these bearings.

Probably could have pried them out.
some fresh ish grease from when I had it apart couple weeks ago.

Back together. Yeeeaaaa….
Had to order the wrench from a British site that shipped it from Taiwan.
—- Taiwan is a country!!
Old 04-30-23, 11:53 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Originally Posted by mrv;[url=tel:22834963
22834963]possibly some alignment with the engagement. I'll make note of it.... assuming I get this ring out!
the alignment is for properly getting the cones & bearings set. With the wrong threads started, I could not get the cones tight enough to see the hub play. The axle was loose.
Starting on the correct thread allows fine adjustment between no play and a micro smidge of play.
—- at least that was the problem I ran into!!!
Old 04-30-23, 01:38 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

fail

My headwind gear won’t engage. It’ll click and knock a bit. Gotta use the tailwind gear.
I’m suspecting I screwed up kind of a flat spring plate deal on the NDS.
so all the way apart. Maybe heavy bearing grease got where I should not have it.
nuts

PS - is there some kind of BF support group for people who attempt lots of wrenching but refuses to recognize they might suck at it?

Old 05-02-23, 11:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by tcs
The S-A ball ring is a two-start thread. Sturmey lore suggests marking the ball ring (with a grease pencil or a pair of automatic center punch dings or somethin') prior to removal so you restart on the same thread. I haven't had any coffee and can't remember why

"Some instructions for disassembling Sturmey-Archer gears include a mysterious statement such as this:
“Next, unscrew the right-hand ball ring but because it has a two-start thread and must be replaced in its original position, that position must be marked. String or adhesive tape may be attached to the spoke nearest to the letters ‘SA’ which are stamped in one of the notches on the ring.” (From the 1956 Master Catalogue, sub-section 4, page 15, paragraph 1.)
"The reason for replacing the right-hand ball ring in the same position is as follows. If the ring is screwed back in the alternative position, 180 degrees out from its original position, there could be some slight distortion of the completed assembly, due to a very slight difference of alignment between the hub shell and the ball ring. Whilst not noticeable at the hub end, it can result in the rim being slightly out of true. (The longer the spokes, the more the discrepancy is amplified.) So the precaution is in order to avoid the possible need to re-true the wheel.
"This matter is not well documented but the rare 1992 Sutherland’s Handbook of Coaster Brakes and Internally Geared Hubs makes the point clearly. To facilitate correct re-assembly, Sutherland’s advises marking the ball ring at the point nearest the lubricator, rather than attaching tape or string to a spoke.
"The reason for the two-start thread is to facilitate screwing the ball ring in relatively quickly, while having a stronger mechanical connection than an equally fast single-start thread would offer. For a given screw pitch, a two-start thread will screw in twice as fast as a single-start thread."
Tony Hadland

IIRC, some internet hub gear guru said they'd never paid any attention to this and it had never been a problem.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-02-23, 11:44 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by tcs
I saw this homemade Sturmey hub shell holder (for use with a big vice) on the net...
Dimensioned drawings:

https://hadland.files.wordpress.com/...mping_tool.pdf