Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Torpado!!!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Torpado!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 05:10 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
Odd that a Roma girl from Nantes would be wearing that jewelry of Sinoic origin...

-----
she is a well traveled girl. Not to mention her English accoutrement. A true "citizen of the world!"
Old 02-09-17, 07:11 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
Just took Lola out for a nice 25 mile spin here on a glorious S Tx winter's day. Big chain ring, slammed down into smallest rear gear. This old girl can still fly.
the old girl or the old guy

Old 02-09-17, 10:08 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it about a month ago with best offer and haven't done much with it yet. I believe Torpado made these Italvega's. I think it is a 76. We will see what period correct decent cond Groupo makes itself available to me for this build. I am leaning towards the logical stock, original build choice, Campy NR. I do though have a First Gen Black DA that I was thinking about. It is on a British bike, so would need headset and BB. The wheels are 27 1/4 also. Not sure if the Italvega this early takes clinchers.

Italvega Super Special 61cm Columbus Frame in gorgeous shape... | eBay

Last edited by WolfRyder; 02-09-17 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-09-17, 10:12 PM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE= I am leaning towards the logical stock, original build choice, Campy NR. /QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ItalvegaSS.jpg (98.0 KB, 641 views)
Old 02-12-17, 07:22 PM
torpadoguy

Bikes: Torpados, Marinonis, Benotos, Lemongi and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello, I have not been here for a while. Shame on me, I am after all the TorpadoGuy. I live in Montreal - Topado heaven, this is where Baggio Sport was. Still finding great - interesting Torpados here. I picked up a mystery bike from Kijiji a couple of weeks age. After 2 days of research and a few faulse starts. It turns out to be a Superlight from the early 70's. No braze ons except the water bottle. I will try to attach a few photos here but not too good at it.(attaching photos) I have at least 10 Torpados in my collection. My favorites are the 1950's Chrome with Campagnolo dropouts and Columbus tubing. Can't post photos here it wants a link so I will put some up on Flicker and get back to you guys.
Old 02-12-17, 07:36 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
[QUOTE=WolfRyder;19368790]From the seller's photos it appears that the RH dropout has had its axle slot ever so slightly opened. When you take delivery you can measure the opening at the front and compare that to the rear. Could also be just this old man's eyesight.

Regarding dating - my recollection is that there was about a two year period following the launch of the Univega nameplate when the top two models of Italvega continued to be offered. The forum's numerous Torresini experts will put me right if I am off on the memory.

Enjoy your new addition, hope she arrives in fine nick.

-----
Old 02-12-17, 08:04 PM
WolfRyder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=juvela;19374497]
Originally Posted by WolfRyder

From the seller's photos it appears that the RH dropout has had its axle slot ever so slightly opened. When you take delivery you can measure the opening at the front and compare that to the rear. Could also be just this old man's eyesight.

Regarding dating - my recollection is that there was about a two year period following the launch of the Univega nameplate when the top two models of Italvega continued to be offered. The forum's numerous Torresini experts will put me right if I am off on the memory.

Enjoy your new addition, hope she arrives in fine nick.

-----
Hi Juvela, thanks for bringing to my attention that detail. I'm not an expert here and I wasn't aware of that, but now that you pointed it out I see what you mean. I have already taken delivery of the frameset and will measure it and report back. So if that is indeed the case that the RH axle slot is opened up slightly, what could cause it and how will it impact the build? I don't believe the framset has ever been built up, could it be factory defect?

Thanks,

-Ross
Old 02-13-17, 09:33 AM
juvela

[QUOTE=WolfRyder;19374566]
Originally Posted by juvela

Hi Juvela, thanks for bringing to my attention that detail. I'm not an expert here and I wasn't aware of that, but now that you pointed it out I see what you mean. I have already taken delivery of the frameset and will measure it and report back. So if that is indeed the case that the RH axle slot is opened up slightly, what could cause it and how will it impact the build? I don't believe the framset has ever been built up, could it be factory defect?

Thanks,

-Ross
Hello again Ross,

Slept on your questions.

Doubt it is something from factory, although we do have a special case since it is a relieved dropout.

Frames are typically shipped with spacer bars between the frame ends to protect blades and stays from being pressed together. One vulnerability in shipping is the gear hanger as it constitutes a protrusion on a bare frame. If frame had received an impact from below during shipping it could have caused the front end of the dropout to close slightly. If someone had noticed this upon unpacking they might have sought to open it back up using a pry tool. They could have gone ever so slightly too far without realizing it. Steel has a measure of springyness (word?) to it such that mechanics doing cold setting quickly learn to take things slightly past where the want them to end up when their pressure is released. They likely could see that had gone just a bit too far and elected to leave it there, perhaps out of fear of the risk of going back in the other direction... One simple check you could make would be to examine the upper and lower faces of the axle slot for any mark left by a pry tool. If the person doing the work had the foresight to cushion the end of the tool there would of course be no mark.

If a crusty old frame or bike came in to my workshop with this symptom I would not hesitate to cold set it to get it back to the original configuration. Your situation is different since you are dealing with a forty year old NOS frameset which is built with relieved dropouts. Suggest you take it to a framebuilder to get their opinion and follow their guidance.

The forum has had several threads on the Super Speciale; you may wish to pull then up with the search function to read the observations therein.

---

Suggestion - rather than take this general Torresini thread any further down a bit of a side road you might consider beginning a new thread to discuss your frameset and eventual bicycle. I'm sure readers would be interested to read how you came to select and find it. Somewhat curious that a frame done as a house brand for an importer/distributor located in Los Angeles made its way to NYC and snoozed for forty years.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-13-17 at 11:04 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-13-17, 03:21 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still trying to post a few photos
Old 02-13-17, 03:22 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The site says I need at least 10 posts so this is post 10
Old 02-13-17, 03:23 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try again, some of my Torpado bikes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/329149...posted-public/

Last edited by torpadoguy; 02-19-17 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-04-17, 04:45 PM
stalbot01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1984 Torpado Super Strada

Originally Posted by nesteel
Personally it looks better with the drop bars. Is the paint a true white, or is it like the '85 Super Strada with the pearl beige paint color?

Glad that seatpost went to someone who could use it. Got a PM about it also, but had already purchased a Campy Aero post to go with the group already on the bike.
I have the same color 1984 Torpado Super Strada in mint condition.....always indoors out of any kind of weather!

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-05-17 at 05:35 PM. Reason: no selling in regular forum.
Old 03-05-17, 05:36 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
Originally Posted by torpadoguy
Try again, some of my Torpado bikes.
Pic Assist
Old 03-07-17, 02:44 PM
juvela

-----

Chanced upon this example adrift upon ebay.es. She looks to be a mid-to-late 'lxx's midliner of some manner. Perhaps the experts will recognise a model name/number.

Wears an OFMEGA Forgiato alloy cottered chainset have not previously seen. Front mech looks to be the not oft encountered Nuovo Valentino.

torpado bicicleta de carreras road bike eroica vintage racing record campagnolo | eBay

-----
Old 05-07-17, 09:34 AM
juvela

-----

Noticed that there are SEVERAL vintage Torpados on kijiji this week.

-----
Old 10-27-17, 05:26 AM
Edbonsky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to show you my Torpado!

So I can't post any pictures until I've posted 10times?
Old 10-30-17, 11:11 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

I'd really like to see some photos and hear about the Superlights, those pale blue 18.7 lb marvels. For the day thats a very light bike. How was this achieved? What did the frame weigh. From when to when were they made....just more info.
Thanks
Lou
Old 10-30-17, 12:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
I'd really like to see some photos and hear about the Superlights, those pale blue 18.7 lb marvels. For the day thats a very light bike. How was this achieved? What did the frame weigh. From when to when were they made....just more info.
Thanks
Lou
lou...best info I can find one way the weight was kept down was the tubular wheels/tires were standards... other

https://equusbicycle.com/bike/torpado...obrochure1.pdf

Old 10-30-17, 03:25 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Originally Posted by squirtdad
lou...best info I can find one way the weight was kept down was the tubular wheels/tires were standards... other

https://equusbicycle.com/bike/torpado...obrochure1.pdf
Ah, didnt know there was SL and SLX versions. Really would like to see one of these bikes. Also wonder what the frame itself weighs and what kind of build one could acoplish with contemporary weight conscious components.
Old 11-06-17, 06:32 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Superlight bikes

I have 3 Torpado Superlight bikes. I will try to post some photos. I also have 4 1950's Torpados, these are the best with Columbus tubing and Campagnolo drop outs, all chrome.
Old 11-06-17, 07:14 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Torpado 1950's

Try again to link to some photos.
This site does not seem to be very picture friendly or I guess I don't know my way around.
I have about 10 Torpado bikes, 5 from the 1950's, 3 superlights, and a Pista track bike.
I love them and I have 3 1950's Chrome Torpado bikes my 2 brothers and I ride on a 3 or 4 day road trip every summer.
I live in Montreal Canada the home of Baggio Sport (closed since the 1980's) but they imported most of the Torpado bikes into canada.
Baggio was a 6 day bike racer from the late 1920's untill about mid 1930's.
My first Torpado bike was in about 1963, a used one, my brother also had one.
Here is a link to the 1950's Torpado, Columbus tubing, Campagnolo drop outs and the Campagnolo sport derailleur.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/329149...posted-public/

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/32914997@N02/38195938782/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]
[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/32914997@N02/38195932242/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]
[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/32914997@N02/38195936842/in/dateposted-public/[/IMG]

Try that for now to see if the photos work.
Lots more to post.

Last edited by torpadoguy; 11-06-17 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For torpadoguy:
Old 11-06-17, 07:20 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Torpado 1950's photo link to album

Still trying for the photos.
Here is a link to the album? Hope it works

https://www.flickr.com/photos/329149...57688958517804

It works if you copy and paste it into your browser.

Once posted it seems to hotlink, so I am learning still.
Old 11-06-17, 07:42 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a link to my late model, (mid 1980's) Torpado Superlight.
It is NOS frame, NOS wheels and some used parts from another Torpado

https://www.flickr.com/photos/329149...57649075086112

Still more photos to come but not tonight.
Old 11-06-17, 07:46 PM
torpadoguy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am getting better at these links, still no photos here.
My mid 1950's Chrome Torpado. About 2500 KM on this one in the last 4 years, still one of the best bikes I have.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/329149...57646764578444
Old 11-15-17, 04:05 PM
Sestese

Bikes: 1984 Olmo Professionisti, 1986 Benotto 1500, 1984 Bianchi Limited, 1971 Bottecchia Professional, 1987 Guerciotti Sprint Alan, Torpado Gran Premio, 1986 Pinarello Treviso, 1968 Chiorda, 1987 Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, 1991 Torelli Express, 1974 Gios.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Hello all.
Beautiful Torpado bikes in this thread.
I'm new at this vintage forum.
I started to restore and ride vintage steel bikes and recently I got a beautiful frame.
Unfortunately can't upload images because been new for the forum. It is a Torpado "Gran Premio" in original metallic brown color, chromed head lugs, half chromed seat stay and fork near the Campagnolo dropouts and braze-on rear brake cable on top tube, Tre Tubi Columbus frame. The seller did knew much about it, looks like mid 60's considering the metal old school head badge.
I can't wait to build it. Anybody know or have some info on this frame?
Unfortunately can't upload images because been new for the forum.
I would like to know the year production and what kind of components use to have on it.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Sal

Last edited by Sestese; 11-15-17 at 05:18 PM.
Likes For Sestese:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.