Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike footwear

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-22, 08:12 AM
jlat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bike footwear

hello people: I'm new. I'm not a serious rider just a rider but I usually ride with flip-flops. I just spent about $100 for a pr. of bike sandals from Shimano. I got em yesterday an I've just worn them around the house. Any of youz try em?
IBBY
Old 07-09-22, 08:23 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
No, never tried the Shimano version though I do wear Shimano SPD shoes as well as Lake SPD sandals, which are very comfortable.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-11-22 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-09-22, 08:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by jlat
hello people: I'm new. I'm not a serious rider just a rider but I usually ride with flip-flops. I just spent about $100 for a pr. of bike sandals from Shimano. I got em yesterday an I've just worn them around the house. Any of youz try em?
IBBY
welcome! how do you like them? they are probably better on the bike, than walking around. but I'm just guessing

I have not tried those. I do sometimes ride in Keen closed toe sandals. they have a nice rigid sole. they are great for biking to the beach, w/o socks. I also wear them during summer months, w/ short hiking socks
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-09-22, 11:56 AM
jlat

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello people: I took my new sandals out just now and so far so good. I can feel the difference in peddle power and I knew it will be a lot better than my FF. I had lace-up bike shoes once so I know that ridged bottom feel. The bottom of my feet feel a little sticky but there new. They're mine now as I threw out the boxes they came in and I've been out in them. As long as there are no assembly flaws I'm good. Also, I put new rear brake pads in and I was braking them in. They feel good. These disks are old and the pads are the small round magnetic type. I've seen some new ones and their pad size is a lot bigger and has to stop great.
Old 07-09-22, 12:43 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
welcome! how do you like them? they are probably better on the bike, than walking around. but I'm just guessing

I have not tried those. I do sometimes ride in Keen closed toe sandals. they have a nice rigid sole. they are great for biking to the beach, w/o socks. I also wear them during summer months, w/ short hiking socks
I’m on my third pair of Keen sandals. I wear them every day for everything. I like how they make contact to my toe clipped pedals better than any other shoe I own… although I probably should look into some dedicated MTB shoes.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 07-10-22, 05:40 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Yes, I have and use Shimano SPD sandals. They have served me well on both my upright frames and recumbents. I also used Lake SPD sandals in the past, but have been unable to find any recently.
Old 07-10-22, 09:37 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I ride in those Keen sandals all summer on flat pedals. They are more comfortable and less prone to nerve issues in my feet than the dedicated bike shoes I ride in winter.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 07-10-22, 12:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I understand Keen disappointed the fans of their previous cycling sandals for clipless pedals by stopping production of them.
Old 07-10-22, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I understand Keen disappointed the fans of their previous cycling sandals for clipless pedals by stopping production of them.
I had heard that as well.
Old 07-10-22, 05:14 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I know I'll be shunned by the dedicated cycle clique here but I don't wear clip-ins ever. Just a personal preference. Too expensive and they really seem to limit mobility any time you're off the bike. I just wear a pair of Puma athletic shoes which I have dedicated to bike riding. I also use a lightweight small frame aluminum pedal with cleats. Works for me.

Personally, I can't see wearing any kind of sandal for a serious ride, but to each their own.
Old 07-10-22, 05:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I know I'll be shunned by the dedicated cycle clique here but I don't wear clip-ins ever. Just a personal preference. Too expensive and they really seem to limit mobility any time you're off the bike. I just wear a pair of Puma athletic shoes which I have dedicated to bike riding. I also use a lightweight small frame aluminum pedal with cleats. Works for me.

Personally, I can't see wearing any kind of sandal for a serious ride, but to each their own.
Right back at you. I can't see wearing soft-soled sneakers for cycling.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-10-22, 05:23 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
To each their own.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 07-10-22, 06:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
I know I'll be shunned by the dedicated cycle clique here...
Preemptively establishing yourself as the victim is not a good look.
Wear what you want. Your reasoning is weak since many spd shoes are easy to walk in and are not expensive, but wear what you want. Maybe give reasons for wearing what you do vs bad reasons for not wearing what you think others want you to wear?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-11-22, 01:30 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts

I wear flip flops on centuries on flat pedals! However, I do have a reason for doing so and that is expecting strong downpours. Getting your shoes and socks soaking wet in a very long ride can be very unpleasant! Some will choose to avoid riding in such weather forecast but I'm an all-weather rider and with this summer heat, rain can be a very good thing.

I use flip flops on 6 hr nonstop solo rides on the mountains. I do have MTB flat pedal shoes to wear if going with group to avoid drawing attention. But when I'm alone, I go back to my super comfy flip flops!
Likes For koala logs:
Old 07-11-22, 01:58 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
I wear flip flops on centuries on flat pedals! However, I do have a reason for doing so and that is expecting strong downpours. Getting your shoes and socks soaking wet in a very long ride can be very unpleasant! Some will choose to avoid riding in such weather forecast but I'm an all-weather rider and with this summer heat, rain can be a very good thing.

I use flip flops on 6 hr nonstop solo rides on the mountains. I do have MTB flat pedal shoes to wear if going with group to avoid drawing attention. But when I'm alone, I go back to my super comfy flip flops!
would expect in between toe(s) chafing on longer rides with the flip flops but if not, party on.

what mountains are we talking about? high point(s) on the (assuming) paved roads? length of climbs? understand the rain/water avoidance issue. maybe i'm doing it wrong. wouldn't be shocked.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-11-22 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-11-22, 06:24 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
would expect in between toe(s) chafing on longer rides with the flip flops but if not, party on.

what mountains are we talking about? high point(s) on the (assuming) paved roads? length of climbs? understand the rain/water avoidance issue. maybe i'm doing it wrong. wouldn't be shocked.
Soft soled flip flops aren't good. My Havaianas are hard enough I can't feel the teeth on my quill pedals at all.

At least 3000' of climbing, averaging 5% gradient paved. One climb I did with flip flops, 2km mixed pavement and gravel averaging 15% gradient with 25% gradient in some places. Mixed seated and standing pedaling. All of them in the same bike loaded 40 to 45 lbs

Not a tiny bit of discomfort nor chaffing with over 6 hour non-stop rides going through 4 hours of mountains. I also have MTB shoes that's perfectly comfortable to me in very long rides but this hot summer, I prefer to use flip flops for the ventilation and the frequent rains in the mountains.
Old 07-11-22, 06:37 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,873 Times in 1,077 Posts
no flip flops or soft shoes for me - I've been riding in bare feet since before I was born and it has served me well
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-11-22, 06:50 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,588 Times in 3,778 Posts
While I have never worn cycling sandals, a member of our ride group swears by them. She averages about 10,000 miles per year in them.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 07-11-22, 07:48 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Why? Bicycle tourists have been doing that for decades, putting in serious miles without issue. Use a good platform pedal, and it is a nonissue. I use a nice pair of DMR V12s, they give plenty of support for your foot, and they grip extremely well. With a large platform the sole of the shoe is rather irrelevant. I did two tours using Crocs, including 70 mile days.

If you don't want to go without clipless, thats great, it's your choice, but it is really not an issue to not use clipless, in fact there are many advantages. I can go to the garage, and simply hop on my bike, without putting on a special pair of shoes. I can use one pair of shoes for a tour and still easily walk once I'm off the bike. I can choose to wear a paid of Crocs on a tour, and be oblivious to rain, knowing that in just 15 minutes or so after the rain stops, my feet, and shoes will be completely dry. I met up with another rider on the GAP trail heading to DC during Hurricane Irene, he was using clipless, I was wearing Crocs. After one deluge lasting hours, we stopped to eat and sleep. As we were eating, he said his shoes were still wet, and his feet were soaked. This was a good two hours after the rain. My feet were completely dry and comfortable, in my Crocs.

With platform pedals I have choices, and what I choose from day to day, or even withing the same day can change. You with your clipless pedals, have fewer choices in what to wear, or only one choice if you haven't sprung for more than one pair of shoes.

I can also change the position of my foot on the pedal if I feel like it. You have to get tools out, and adjust the cleat. Yes, once you have it dialed in, you won't make changes, but sometimes on a long tour you just want to move around a bit, at least for a few moments from time to time.

If all you know are tiny clipless pedals, then of course you cannot imagine wearing shoes with less than stiff soles, but if course there are tons of good pedals out that that eliminate the perceived need to wear stiff soled shoes. In fact, when I began riding, clipless pedals didn't even exist, somehow we managed.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-11-22, 07:52 AM
gooseneck34

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
flip flops! surely that hurts your feet ?
Old 07-11-22, 09:36 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by koala logs
I use flip flops on 6 hr nonstop solo rides on the mountains.
This does not surprise me.

Old 07-11-22, 09:43 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by phughes
Why? Bicycle tourists have been [wearing soft-sole shoes] for decades, putting in serious miles without issue.
Yeah, I used running shoes for decades, with rat trap pedals and toe clips.

Then I switched to a stiff sole shoe, and I never looked back.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-11-22, 09:53 AM
phughes

Yeah, I used running shoes for decades, with rat trap pedals and toe clips.

Then I switched to a stiff sole shoe, and I never looked back.
The old style rat trap pedals are nice, but they are not as nice with softer soles than the platforms like the DMR pedals. Pedals like the DMRs, and Welgos, give nice, wide support, spreading the pressure across a larger area than old style rat traps.

I have thought about getting some bear trap pedals, but I know they aren't as comfortable as the DMRs with softer soled shoes. I love the old bear traps, I used them on my BMX bike when I raced.

The pedals, shoes, and just about everything else we use comes down to personal preference. My only point is that with the right pedals, there is nothing wrong with softer, more flexible soled shoes. As long as you have a good platform style pedal, there is neough support for your foot, that a stiff sole is not necessary.

Are you using clipless?
Old 07-11-22, 10:02 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by phughes
As long as you have a good platform style pedal, there is neough support for your foot, that a stiff sole is not necessary.

Are you using clipless?
Yes, I've been using clipless since the early 2000's. They have changed my pedaling style—I think for the better.

According to my pedal power meter, my "power phase arc length" is 200º. It would be really hard to do that on platform pedals.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-11-22, 10:07 AM
phughes

Yes, I've been using clipless since the early 2000's. They have changed my pedaling style—I think for the better.

According to my pedal power meter, my "power phase arc length" is 200º. It would be really hard to do that on platform pedals.
The nice thing about the DMRs, is that they grip my shoes very well, so you can pull back at the bottom of the stroke when you really need to bear down and put power to the pedals, increasing your power arc. Not really difficult to get to 200, but generally not necessary for touring. Also not likely to be continued for a long period of time compared to using clipless, nor would you necessarily put out as much power on the last few degrees.. The bad thing about the DMRs is the scars I have on my shins from them.

Last edited by phughes; 07-11-22 at 12:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.