Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Catchup on 2022 and preview for 2023?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-22, 01:33 PM
z3px

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't followed pro cycling since like 2014-2015 and I'm wanting to try and follow this coming year (2023). Do you have any good 2022 season summaries and 2023 previews? Any summaries of top teams for the coming year? Who are the big sprinters and climbers? Seems like if you don't follow for a few years then you get lost in the constant sea of team changes/mergers and rider comings and goings. Where do you watch races anymore since steephill.tv is no longer maintained
Likes For z3px:
Old 12-29-22, 02:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
It's something you just have to dive into and get reacquainted with the players. For me, YouTube is where I catch race highlights/recaps, as well as some full-length coverage. You would be able to find plenty of stuff from recent years to help you catch up. Currently, I'm enjoying cyclocross season, and watching Mathieu van der Poel, Tom Pidcock, and Wout van Aert pound the snot out of each other. These 3 are also significant forces on the road, and are worth digging into their accomplishments in the last couple of years. Other notable names that first come to mind...Jonas Vingegaard (defending TdF winner), Julian Alaphilippe (2x World Champ), Tadej Pogacar (former TdF winner), and Primoz Roglic (3x Vuelta winner).

Jumbo-Visma is currently the most dominant team, and home to van Aert, Vingegaard, and Roglic.
Old 12-30-22, 05:54 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
If you follow every year, you still get lost in the team rebranding and rider churn.

RIP Steephill. It was a great resource.

To make matters worse, many print resources have gone behind paywalls. I read less. If I exceed my measley quota, I might return with cookies off, e.g. in in incognito mode.

The one positive development is GCN. Get one very reasonable subscription and a VPN so you can navigate the geofencing. You can watch just about everything.
Old 12-30-22, 12:57 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
If you follow every year, you still get lost in the team rebranding and rider churn.

RIP Steephill. It was a great resource.

To make matters worse, many print resources have gone behind paywalls. I read less. If I exceed my measley quota, I might return with cookies off, e.g. in in incognito mode.

The one positive development is GCN. Get one very reasonable subscription and a VPN so you can navigate the geofencing. You can watch just about everything.
''

Of course, the correct answer is to follow this sub-forum religiously.

But yeah, I miss Steephill.
Old 12-30-22, 04:06 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Velonews has a series of 2022 recap stories going now.