Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with the Oyama Skyline IN7B? It has a lot of things for low price

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Anyone familiar with the Oyama Skyline IN7B? It has a lot of things for low price

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 02:48 PM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone familiar with the Oyama Skyline IN7B? It's a folding bike with a lot of things for under $800. Rear rack, fenders, kickstand, 7 speed internal hub, and belt drive. Seems pretty cheap for a folding bike with all of that. I am not a bike expert but can anyone check out the specs and tell me if it's worth getting? Here are the specs

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oyama-Sky...0065#read-more

I won't get it on Walmart but its at multiple local bike shops
Old 03-11-18, 08:50 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Walmart had it for $589.99 when it was in stock,...for that price it was a solid deal.
Old 03-11-18, 09:34 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
Walmart had it for $589.99 when it was in stock,...for that price it was a solid deal.

Is that bike good from looking at the specs in the website I linked?
Old 03-11-18, 10:10 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
Is that bike good from looking at the specs in the website I linked?
Considering it's price, even on the USA site, it's spec'd well enough, considering it's a 7 speed igh hub bike. I'd say to go for it!
Old 03-11-18, 10:33 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Considering it's price, even on the USA site, it's spec'd well enough, considering it's a 7 speed igh hub bike. I'd say to go for it!

What if it's $799+9% sales tax? I would get it from a local bike shop instead of online

Edit: just realized you said even if it's the price in their website which I see it's at $799. That's good to hear. If anyone else got an opinion please post here
Old 03-12-18, 12:31 AM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The specs are this btw. Might be hard to see in that link

Includes fenders & rear rack.

Frame: Alloy 6061 Frame with LM3 Joint

Fork: 20" Steel Fork

Folding Stem: SR6 Joint

Brakeset: C-star V-Brake

Derailleur System: Shimano Nexus 7 Speeds Belt Drive

Rims: 20" Alloy

Tires: Schwalbe/Kenda 20" 2.0"

Handlebar: HL, Alloy

Weight 13.4 KG, 29.54 lbs.
Old 03-12-18, 05:58 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

What if it's $799+9% sales tax? I would get it from a local bike shop instead of online

Edit: just realized you said even if it's the price in their website which I see it's at $799. That's good to hear. If anyone else got an opinion please post here
Let me clarify that,...for $589.99 it's a good deal. For $799 plus I'd pass on it.

Last edited by tds101; 03-12-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 09:32 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I test rode one, and it was pretty nice, but to me the IGH was it's most impressive feature.
It doesn't use a Gates brand belt BTW...which gives me pause. Generic?
Otherwise it seemed like a nice bike, unremarkable though.

(My first choice was to be a DT 8H but the mfr raised the price on that model some 27% late last year and pointed me towards other options in that higher price range)

Unfortunately after riding it, the IN7B even though a bit less than the 8H formerly was, isn't going to be "the one" for me.

Personally, I can't stress the importance enough of an actual test-ride/hands-on try for my purchasing process.
Old 03-12-18, 02:34 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

This is another thread posted in the folding bikes section, and this 7 speed igh folder is available for $389.99 and $.99 S&H. It's a MuddyFox folder, and a great deal for the price.

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...y-uk-only.html

As for the "try before you buy" advice,...it's not always possible. For the price of the bike I linked to, it's still a fantastic bargain.
Old 03-12-18, 04:18 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

This is another thread posted in the folding bikes section, and this 7 speed igh folder is available for $389.99 and $.99 S&H. It's a MuddyFox folder, and a great deal for the price.

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...y-uk-only.html

As for the "try before you buy" advice,...it's not always possible. For the price of the bike I linked to, it's still a fantastic bargain.
I believe that bike (Muddy Fox) is sold in the UK only. Or at least not in the US and since the OP refers to WalMart, I assume that's where they reside.

As for try it first...I was referring to MY buying process...no one else's. I've effectively eliminated items I was going to buy to those which I no longer considered by doing so. YMMV
Old 03-12-18, 05:25 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
I believe that bike (Muddy Fox) is sold in the UK only. Or at least not in the US and since the OP refers to WalMart, I assume that's where they reside.

As for try it first...I was referring to MY buying process...no one else's. I've effectively eliminated items I was going to buy to those which I no longer considered by doing so. YMMV
The bike I linked to is available on their USA site,...I wouldn't have wasted someone's time linking to a bike that's not available for them to purchase. Here's the direct link to purchase it:
https://us.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox...lcode=93304130

As for trying before buying, the way you posted your comment, you're basically RECOMMENDING the OP try before buying. That's the gist of it,...but,...YMMV.
Old 03-13-18, 08:04 PM
FolderBeholder

The bike I linked to is available on their USA site,...I wouldn't have wasted someone's time linking to a bike that's not available for them to purchase. Here's the direct link to purchase it:
https://us.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox...lcode=93304130

As for trying before buying, the way you posted your comment, you're basically RECOMMENDING the OP try before buying. That's the gist of it,...but,...YMMV.
That bike doesnt specify OR appear to be built as a belt drive...something the OP mentioned the Oyama having.

A few weeks back I asked the same question regarding that very same Oyama bike and got crickets here....so I went to see for myself.

I’d hate to buy something sight unseen by me OR a like minded fellow enthusiast expecting a feature that it didnt include....thats why my response regarding the Oyama was an informed one. I still don’t think the belt driven, IGH bike is available stateside. I dont even see it on Muddyfoxusa’s own website....

To the OP...please PM me if you wish for my deeper hands-on impression of the Skyline you originally asked about.
Old 03-14-18, 09:50 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

That bike doesnt specify OR appear to be built as a belt drive...something the OP mentioned the Oyama having.

A few weeks back I asked the same question regarding that very same Oyama bike and got crickets here....so I went to see for myself.

I’d hate to buy something sight unseen by me OR a like minded fellow enthusiast expecting a feature that it didnt include....thats why my response regarding the Oyama was an informed one. I still don’t think the belt driven, IGH bike is available stateside. I dont even see it on Muddyfoxusa’s own website....

To the OP...please PM me if you wish for my deeper hands-on impression of the Skyline you originally asked about.
The belt drive is the ONLY real difference between the 2 bikes that's specified, and WASN'T mentioned as a deal breaker. For $400+ less $$$ I'm not seeing it as much of a benefit.

As for going to check the bike out IN PERSON, good for you,...proud of ya! I'm happy to read it was something that was a possibility for you.

I hope the OP does respond, and that they make the best decision based on their needs. No amount of bantering is going to finalize that decision. Me. I'd luv to see the Oyama at a lower price point. For $799+9% sales tax it's not worth it (IMO,...YMMV). The MuddyFox costing $390.99 shipped and delivered is DEFINITELY worth it. And the ONLY major difference between the 2 is a belt drive. Sounds like a much better deal to me,...

And for the money saved the OP can get upgrades OR accessories instead. This, to me, looks, sounds, and is fantastic.

Now, I have had confirmation that the 20" rims are single walled, but have 36 spokes. They're strong, but I've been known to destroy singles. If the Oyama has double walled rims, that would be a definite plus. It would make the bike worth the Walmart price,...easily.

Last edited by tds101; 03-14-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-29-18, 07:59 PM
TheChosenOne

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
any more opinions on the bike?
Likes For TheChosenOne:
Old 08-29-18, 11:33 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

any more opinions on the bike?
It's no longer available,...
Old 02-09-23, 11:49 PM
ciuvak

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FolderBeholder I'm not the OP, but wanted to ask if you still remember your hands-on experience with the Skyline. I need a reliable daily folder with a belt drive and the Skyline IN7B showed up in my searches. It is still sold by a US dealer (planetbiking) for about $650, and I am considering it, but it would be without testing it first. Can you please share what were your impressions with the bike? I'm mainly worried about reliability and eventual need for replacement parts.
Old 02-10-23, 04:54 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by ciuvak
FolderBeholder I'm not the OP, but wanted to ask if you still remember your hands-on experience with the Skyline. I need a reliable daily folder with a belt drive and the Skyline IN7B showed up in my searches. It is still sold by a US dealer (planetbiking) for about $650, and I am considering it, but it would be without testing it first. Can you please share what were your impressions with the bike? I'm mainly worried about reliability and eventual need for replacement parts.
That's not a reputable seller,... Do a Google search a see what I'm referring to.
Old 02-10-23, 07:03 PM
ciuvak

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's not a reputable seller,... Do a Google search a see what I'm referring to.
I can't find anything about them. Mostly found that planetbiking.com owns another website bikehighway.com. But other than that, doesn't seem like anything unusual. Are they scamming and not delivering the products? Or it's about customer support? Please share, so I can avoid wasting more time on this idea. Thanks!
Likes For ciuvak:
Old 02-10-23, 07:17 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by ciuvak
I can't find anything about them. Mostly found that planetbiking.com owns another website bikehighway.com. But other than that, doesn't seem like anything unusual. Are they scamming and not delivering the products? Or it's about customer support? Please share, so I can avoid wasting more time on this idea. Thanks!
That's the point, there's absolutely nothing about them. On r e d d i t someone asked a question about purchasing from them. There's no way to verify if they're a reputable company, and I'd be very careful buying from them. If your credit card company will refund you in case of fraud, fine and well. I'd pass myself, unless someone here can actually vouch for them as a respectable business.