Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Used Giant FCR2. Why the low price?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 11:21 AM
Yoss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm new to cycling other than having cheap old beaters as a kid and through college. I've tried to do my homework but it's entirely possible I'll be asking silly noob questions.

I'm checking out used bikes and considering one I found locally. I haven't had a chance to see it in person yet, but it being priced below $200 from an original MSRP of around $900 makes me wonder if this is somehow an undesirable model? It's an '09, which does make it a bit older, but I see plenty of other bikes that originally sold for less that go for more money. Even using that bicycle blue book site as a rough guide, it suggests the same price range they're asking.

From the few reviews that are out there, people seem to like the Giant FCR series but I just wonder if there's something I'm overlooking. From what I can tell in the pictures and description, I'd be surprised if it was ridden more than a handful of times. It does have a carbon fiber fork that I know I'll want to examine carefully. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Here are the specs on it:

============================
Frame & Fork

Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Material ALUXX aluminum
Fork Giant Advanced composite
Fork Materal Carbon fiber/aluminum steerer, aero crown
Rear Shock Not applicable

Components

Component Group Road Mix
Brakeset Alloy Direct Pull brakes, Tektro alloy levers
Shift Levers Shimano R440
Front Derailleur Shimano R453
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
Crankset FSA Omega, 30/39/50 teeth
Pedals Crank Brothers Smarty Bottom Bracket FSA Mega EXO BB
Shell Width Unspecified
Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 28 teeth
Chain Shimano HG-73
Seatpost Alloy, 27.2mm diameter
Saddle Giant Unity SuperSoft Venture
Handlebar Extensions Bar ends Handlebars Alloy Flat Handlebar Stem Alloy Adjustable Headset 1 1/8"

Wheels

Wheel Size 700c wheels Hubs Formula sealed Rims Mavic CXP 22, 24-hole/28-hole Front Tire 700 x 28c Kenda Kwest Rear Tire Not Available Spoke Brand Sapim Race, 14/15ga. (2.0/1.8mm) butted Spoke Nipples Unspecified

Last edited by Yoss; 05-13-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 12:24 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Welcome. Time will be important for you (as low prices create demand!). That said, I don't think $200 is surprisingly low for such a bike. The most important thing for a bike with any age on it like this is condition. Don't worry so much about components. Yes, stuff can wear out, but they're all just bolt-ons. Things to look for are rotted rubber (like tires, brake pads, etc.) and gummy bearings or cables. It doesn't take too much for a barely-ridden-but-old bike to need a lot of replacement parts, or at least time and energy, to get riding smoothly again. The tires could be rotted, the brake pads could be old and hard, the chain could be stiff or rusty, cables could be dodgy, and the ratcheting mechanisms in the shifters can be bad. Some of these things are quick or free fixes, but some will need replacement parts. You could quickly find a $200 bike to take another 100 bucks or more to get going again. On the other hand, of course, it could be that this bike is a real gem and is ready to ride today.

Yes, look at the frame closely and look at the fork. If you see any paint cranks or score lines at any of the welds, it could indicate something's been tweaked (from a crash or some other overload event) and it's probably a bike best avoided. It could also be a stolen bike, but that's probably not likely. You could have a quick look at the serial number (under the bottom bracket) to see if it's been ground off or otherwise obscured.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-13-21, 02:26 PM
Yoss

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, hokiefyd. Maybe it's just demand for mountain bikes instead of a more road-oriented bike. I don't live in a mountainous area, but there are a few decent offroad trails here and there. I've been watching CL and FB marketplace for several weeks and seeing lots of entry to mid-level mountain bikes of the same age or older still bringing in $200+ and they were never as expensive as the FCR2 when new. Then when mentions of this model were fairly thin online, it made me more cautious.

I had been mostly looking at mountain bikes prior to this but realistically I'll be hitting mild paths with the wife more than I'll be barreling down a single track. We'll see what the future holds. I do have lots of storage space!
Old 05-13-21, 03:33 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Maybe the seller did a search for current selling prices for that year and model and happened on the bike blue book site. As the poster above implied, strike while the iron is hot!

Of course, you should make sure that the bike fits you correctly. That said, sizing of flat-handlebar bikes is less critical than sizing of drop-handlebar bikes.

Final thought: the number of bikes posted on Craigslist and elsewhere that are cosmetically and mechanically fine but have a bent fork or front end or both is surprisingly high. It seems less common with hybrids than with some other classes of bikes, but it's something to watch for.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-13-21, 10:46 PM
Yoss

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I wasn't sure if they were going to reply back, but I was eventually able to set up a time to check it out this evening and it was in FANTASTIC shape. I talked to the guy selling it (super nice guy) and he never rode it a whole lot but still took it in for servicing most years. At 5'10" with a semi-freakishly short inseam of 30 the medium frame feels like a good fit for me. I stand over it with at least an inch to spare and the reach to the handlebars feels good. I might still tinker with the fore and aft adjustment of the seat a little.

Not that I have a whole lot of bike experience, but this thing feels like a sports car compared to anything else I've been on. The last time I was this excited about a bike it was a Huffy with a banana seat!
Old 05-14-21, 05:30 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
It sounds like a good buy. Sometimes you just get lucky!

I suspect you don't find a lot on this bike because it's a fairly early example of a "flat bar road bike". The Shimano group is a road group and the fork is carbon, etc. I think that market niche was smaller and seen as more specialized 10 years ago than it is today, where flat bar road bikes are much more common.

Good luck with your new bike!
Old 05-14-21, 08:27 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Well, if you go by the following, that's more expensive than what this site thinks it's worth:

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...product/16713/

Reality is, that is a good price and would suggest jumping on it soon if it's in good condition and fits. Most likely will sell quickly if you don't buy it.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 05-14-21, 10:01 AM
Yoss

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's safely tucked in my garage right now! The only bad news is I won't get a chance to put any miles on it until next week. I wasn't sure how picky this site is about talking specific pricing so I was being a bit vague. I was able to get it for $175. Other than the obvious wear areas like pedals and where the brake pads contact the rim it looks brand new. I'm pretty excited.
Likes For Yoss:
Old 05-14-21, 12:55 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm sure you will enjoy that Giant FCR-2. That seems like a fair price for a bike that has been well cared for. I've owned a 2009 Giant FCR-3 since new. With a couple of mods it does well on light to moderate trails and is just a joy to ride.
Likes For Delmarva:
Old 05-14-21, 02:18 PM
Yoss

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey, Delmarva, that's great to hear from someone who's owned a bike like this long term. I'm definitely curious about what kind of changes you made. Making it a little more capable off of a perfectly groomed path sounds like something I'd like to do once I familiarize myself with the bike a little more. Thanks!
Old 05-15-21, 04:04 PM
Delmarva

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi. First off the pedals had to go. I went with MKS Grip King platforms partly because I ride with hiking sandals quite a bit. Any good platform would have been an improvement. The stock Kenda 700x28 were ok on smooth trails but got squirrelly and hard on anything else. And they were flat prone. The rims were generously sized so I went with 700x42 Continental Country Plus. Maybe a bit of overkill but it works for me. Finally I swapped the 11-30 rear for a 13-26. My bike has plenty of range with a 52-42-30 triple and the slightly tighter cogs seem better.
Old 05-17-21, 03:42 PM
Yoss

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for listing your upgrades. Bigger tires are definitely on the to do list. I wasn't sure what the upper limits might be for width. I think I'd like to go to at least 38. I hadn't thought about changing out gears but I'll keep that in mind for when I get more familiar with riding.
Old 05-18-21, 04:26 PM
Delmarva

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus is another puncture resistant tire that gets good reviews. Have fun.riding.
Old 05-18-21, 06:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
A few years ago, I found a 2008/9 fcr3w at a thrift store for $50. I'd originally intended to buy it just for parts and try to sell the frame off, but being a woman's frame...though designated as a large...the ETT is 56cm. So, I converted it to drop bars and, to my surprise, it's a been a great bike. IOW's, these fcr models are really nothing to scoff at even if they're entry/mid level fair. I was delighted it has low rider rack mounts on the fork, too.
Old 01-31-23, 07:49 AM
Cgnman59

Bikes: 2009 Giant FCR2, 1994 Univega Via DeOro, 1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
I bought a 2009 FCR2 off Craigslist for $150 during the middle of the pandemic. Guy bought it for his wife but then family(babies) and COVID occurred so he figured there was less than a couple hundred miles on it. The condition of the bike backed up his claim as it was in nearly new condition. I just adjusted the brakes and shifters and find it a very nice, fast bike. I have since put on my different pedals, my favorite saddle and Panaracer GravelKing SK 700x32 tires. Next up is a VeloOrange Seine bar and new cables. I really enjoy this bike and plan to keep it for the long haul.
Old 02-06-23, 06:33 AM
Delmarva

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the FCR club! Should be a fine bike with lots of miles to go.
Old 02-10-23, 10:28 AM
Cgnman59

Bikes: 2009 Giant FCR2, 1994 Univega Via DeOro, 1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks! My next project is a 1994 Univega Via DeOro bike that needs a lot of work. Should be a lot of fun. 😎
Old 02-13-23, 09:41 AM
Delmarva

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Text deleted...responded to old post in error.

Last edited by Delmarva; 02-13-23 at 09:46 AM.