Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about new tires

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Thinking about new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 06:27 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Thinking about new tires

My wife and I ride a 2005 Comotion speedster with 700c-32 Continental GP5000 front and 4-seasons rear at about 85 psi. I’ve been pretty happy with this setup, but am always on the lookout for ways I might improve comfort without sacrificing efficiency. We’re not racers, just a 136 year old couple that likes to ride hilly terrain without having to work any harder than necessary. I’m wondering if we might be even happier going to 38mm tires, such as Rene Herse Barlow Pass or Panaracer Gravel King Slick. I believe 38mm would fit between our seat stays. Anyone with a speedster running 38mm tires on the rear who could confirm that? Also, any opinions on making the move I’m considering in general? We mostly ride asphalt of varying levels of deterioration, plus the rare stretch of gravel. Thanks, Bob
Old 02-01-23, 07:28 PM
TobyGadd

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
I don't know anything about those specific tires--but it's true that wider tires are generally more comfortable because you can run them with lower air pressure (up to a point) than narrower tires. The tradeoff is some additional rotational weight and possibly higher rolling resistance (depending on the tire and terrain). Since no tire is perfect in all conditions, my wife and I have a couple of different wheelsets so that we can quickly swap tires depending on the terrain.

I'd say give them a try to see if you like them.
Old 02-02-23, 04:18 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by reburns
My wife and I ride a 2005 Comotion speedster with 700c-32 Continental GP5000 front and 4-seasons rear at about 85 psi. I’ve been pretty happy with this setup, but am always on the lookout for ways I might improve comfort without sacrificing efficiency. We’re not racers, just a 136 year old couple that likes to ride hilly terrain without having to work any harder than necessary. I’m wondering if we might be even happier going to 38mm tires, such as Rene Herse Barlow Pass or Panaracer Gravel King Slick. I believe 38mm would fit between our seat stays. Anyone with a speedster running 38mm tires on the rear who could confirm that? Also, any opinions on making the move I’m considering in general? We mostly ride asphalt of varying levels of deterioration, plus the rare stretch of gravel. Thanks, Bob
I too would love to hear what width others are using. We have a later model Speedster than yours,maybe the last year they had the diagonal center tube. We too would love to know the widest tire for our design. The current model year runs 35c, I've never run anything wider the 32c either at this point.
Old 02-02-23, 08:06 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
I believe 38mm would fit between our seat stays. Anyone with a speedster running 38mm tires on the rear who could confirm that? Also, any opinions on making the move I’m considering in general?
My wife and I, team age 131, ride a 2005 Speedster. The rear has taken the four 38mm tires I've tried:
Schwalbe Marathon GT,
Schwalbe Almotion V-Guard (tube),
Schwalbe Almotion RaceGuard (tubeless),
Panaracer Gravelking Sk Knobby.
We bought the bike used with fairly skinny tires. Moving to 35mm front and rear (Schwalbe Marathon Supremes) improved the ride and we toured self-contained cross-country from SF to Virginia on those with good results except for some tube failures. I then fit 38mm tires on the rear, but the original front rim-brake fork would take a 35mm max.
I bought a used Speedster disc fork of recent vintage, which has more lateral clearance, and did a bit of monkeying around to get a 38mm to fit. Then I built tubeless wheels front and rear and fit the Almotion tubeless tires. We rode from SF to Florida on that 38mm configuration most of the way (had to switch the rear wheel in Louisiana to a 38mm tube rim for a non-tire issue) and are now back to 38mm Almotion tubeless and are still happy with that.
Likes For sapporoguy:
Old 02-02-23, 09:32 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
My wife and I, team age 131, ride a 2005 Speedster. The rear has taken the four 38mm tires I've tried:
Schwalbe Marathon GT,
Schwalbe Almotion V-Guard (tube),
Panaracer Gravelking Sk Knobby.
We bought the bike used with fairly skinny tires. Moving to 35mm front and rear (Schwalbe Marathon Supremes) improved the ride and we toured self-contained cross-country from SF to Virginia on those with good results except for some tube failures. I then fit 38mm tires on the rear, but the original front rim-brake fork would take a 35mm max.
I bought a used Speedster disc fork of recent vintage, which has more lateral clearance, and did a bit of monkeying around to get a 38mm to fit. Then I built tubeless wheels front and rear and fit the Almotion tubeless tires. We rode from SF to Florida on that 38mm configuration most of the way (had to switch the rear wheel in Louisiana to a 38mm tube rim for a non-tire issue) and are now back to 38mm Almotion tubeless and are still happy with that.
Sapporoguy, thanks for the detailed and helpful response. And I’m in awe of your cross country tours. It would be fun to link up for a ride sometime.
Old 02-02-23, 09:38 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts

I just upgraded to these and they are great compared to the marathons. wife is so much happier with them.
Old 02-03-23, 06:34 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Sapporoguy, thanks for the detailed and helpful response. And I’m in awe of your cross country tours. It would be fun to link up for a ride sometime.
Aw, I’m blushing! I highly recommend cross-countries if that’s your team’s thing. There’s nothing like it.
Old 02-03-23, 06:40 AM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I just upgraded to these and they are great compared to the marathons. wife is so much happier with them.
Technically, they ARE Marathons—Marathon Almotions—but your point stands!
Old 02-03-23, 08:58 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Technically, they ARE Marathons—Marathon Almotions—but your point stands!
yes s many versions of marathons if can drive you nuts.
Old 02-05-23, 04:53 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Aw, I’m blushing! I highly recommend cross-countries if that’s your team’s thing. There’s nothing like it.
Did you guys journal or post your rides anywhere?
Old 02-05-23, 05:44 PM
sapporoguy

Originally Posted by Paul J
Did you guys journal or post your rides anywhere?
yep!
Instagram @KarenSteveTandem
for our fall 2022 tour from SF to San Diego to Florida (Southern Tier), we posted 10 pix/videos and a map every day for our 68 riding days.
We had planned to be more ambitious (blog, YouTube) but it was all we could do after a day’s ride just to post on instagram.
For our 2021 tour from SF to Yorktown, Va., we instagrammed retroactively for each day, on the same account.
Likes For sapporoguy:
Old 02-07-23, 01:51 PM
Paul J

yep!
Instagram @KarenSteveTandem
for our fall 2022 tour from SF to San Diego to Florida (Southern Tier), we posted 10 pix/videos and a map every day for our 68 riding days.
We had planned to be more ambitious (blog, YouTube) but it was all we could do after a day’s ride just to post on instagram.
For our 2021 tour from SF to Yorktown, Va., we instagrammed retroactively for each day, on the same account.
Thanks, I see I am following you guys. Saw your pictures, many Years ago I lived in Grand Junction and used the California Zyphy to Denver.

​​​​​​
Old 02-14-23, 03:10 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
We're running Specialized Sawtooth 38 mm front and rear. They were initially tubeless - now running tubes. Great all around tire. We run around 55 psi and it's so much nicer than any tire at 100 psi.