Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter Shoes

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Winter Shoes

Old 02-14-23, 12:36 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Winter Shoes

I need, good warm Winter shoes that will work with Toe clips. I've tried everything from Hiking boots to Dress shoes. It has to have some type of grippy sole but not full blown Alpine boot. Any ideas? BTW, we are to get 3" of Snow tonight. Gotha love Boulder!
Old 02-15-23, 07:45 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I've been commuting in toe clips year round "down the road" in Colorado Springs. I simply use regular water resistant firm-soled sneakers with medium wool socks over cotton (It works for me). When it's wet or snowy I put plastic grocery bags over my socks. The shoes get wet, but my feet stay dry. I leave the shoes and clips loose so as not to restrict blood flow in order to keep my feet warm. The shoes dry enough during the work day.

There's probably a better way, but this works for me, and has in snow up to 5".
Old 02-15-23, 12:43 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Good idea. I have a pair of L.L. Bean Snow Sneaker. Good shoe. Range from low 40s to teens. The only problem is they wear FAST with Toe Clips. (Toe area.) I don't want a shoe with SPD's as my boss would kill me scuffing up the new flooring in the office. I don't want to take an extra pair along and storing them someplace isn't an option. There has to be something better out there but what? We got 4" of the White stuff last night with more coming! YES!!!!
Old 02-15-23, 07:43 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
https://xeroshoes.com/shop/boots/alpine-men/

Those are "barefoot-inspired," so I'm guessing they'll be more likely to work with toe clips than most boots. I'm on my third (and what will be final) winter with the same pair doing package deliver in Wisconsin and the occasional single digit 4 mile ride to work. They're not as warm as they claim to be, and if they were ever actually waterproof, that ship has sailed. But they're great for active activity in the snow, and block the wind like anything waterproof will. The insulated insole they mention slipped around too much for me to keep in while working, but would be helpful for just riding. It's just a thin piece of foam with foil, but it definitely helps when it's there.
Old 02-15-23, 08:40 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
My recommendation for Winter (i.e. cold weather) shoes is to get the same model that you currently use for warmer weather, but, in a size that's large enough to accommodate thick, heavy wool socks, such as the traditional ragg wool socks by Wigwam or FoxRiver. Those socks are excellent insulation against cold and cold-wet conditions such as snow.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 02-19-23, 08:14 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I use an older pair of Keen hiking boots with thick socks here in Green Bay.
Sam
Old 02-19-23, 09:30 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
I have had a pair of Sidi winter shoes for many years. I use them with Look 3 hole cleats but I think they can be set up for SPD as well. Unfortunately the fleece liner breaks down and mats over time, so I have found myself in recent winters using a pair of Giro road shoes that I have but with the insoles replaced by Pedag “Solar” insoles. These have lambswool on the top with the outer surface facing the shoe a metallic foil coating.

Unlike my Sidi summer road shoes, the Giros have very little venting and almost a plastic surface, so that when worn with neoprene booties, my feet stay pretty warm down to perhaps 30 degrees F.