Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin 530 mounting in stoker's compartment

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-23, 12:09 PM
Sprout97 

Bikes: 2004 Co-Motion Speedster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone mount their Garmin on the stoker's bar? While I can more or less read the cadence and gear map on the Flight Deck (and CatEye [stem mounted]) with my non-Rx glasses, I really don't feel like I'd could safely look at an electronic map. Never mind the FD and headlight are both bar mounted. So, how practical is it to mount the Garmin with stoker? On a side note, I'd get one up front also if I move to e-tap (replace the FD and CatEye).

Learn from other people's mistakes. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

2004 Co-Motion Speedster
2010 (Specialized) Carmel comfort (my neighborhood bike)
2008 Raleigh comfort (wife's neighborhood bike)
Old 02-27-23, 01:29 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Why would you anticipate any problem(s) doing this? I've never had the need myself but I'm not seeing how or why it couldn't work, and work just fine. The problem, actually, is getting many of these systems, wired or not, to get information to the Captains compartment from distant sensors at the Stoker cranks and/or rear wheel. You should be good there.
Old 02-28-23, 07:06 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
We have the more capable Garmin in the stoked position. They handle directions when needed. I have an old basic Garmin up front that I use as a normal computer. We change bikes and wheels and I got tired of adjusting pick ups on different wheels.
Old 02-28-23, 03:59 PM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
We’ve had our Garmin 830 on the stoker’s bars from the day we got it, and it’s been there for 1000s of miles of touring.
My stoker typically navigates from both the Garmin and a paper map in a map case. She can also read out any stats from the Garmin that we may want to know.
It makes it much easier for this pilot to keep his eyes up, concentrate on the piloting, and keep us both safer without the extra distraction.
Likes For sapporoguy:
Old 02-28-23, 07:53 PM
ferengii
Ferengii

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem; Bilenky tandem; Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
We both have Wahoo mounts on the captain & stoker bars (as well as on our singles) so that we can put our computers wherever needed. There’s no problem with stoker-located GPS devices. On tours, my wife, the stoker, does most of the map reading, while I follow the basic route on my computer. Having two devices on a tandem is a nice luxury!
Likes For ferengii:
Old 03-04-23, 09:56 PM
New2Two

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
We put the stokers Edge Touring on the top tube using the o-rings and mount that came with the computer.
Old 03-27-23, 12:29 AM
mikemelbrooks

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
We just completed a 100mile audax, for this we mounted my mobile phone for the stoker with a power bank so the phone had 100% charge at the end of the ride. I can recommend the quadlock phone mounts. I used a Garmin 530 as backup.
Old 03-27-23, 09:15 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
We both have a Garmin Edge 800. We both wear HRM straps. Stoker sees captain's HR on her Garmin and her HR on a Polar monitor. Stoker also has a cue sheet in a holder and navigates. Stoker uses HR to try to keep her effort in the general vicinity of captain's.