Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your ideal bike for the type of riding you do

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your ideal bike for the type of riding you do

Old 03-18-23, 05:35 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I ride our local trail system, so my “ideal” bike is probably the normal bike I see on those trails, a modern gravel bike with a 1x drivetrain and running some good 700x38 tires.

OTOH, I really don’t mind riding my cheap vintage road build with 32mm tires, especially since I switched from thin bar tape to Sunlite bar foam. That knocks down the chatter from the crushed stone.

I’ve also found that even when it is cold and muddy, I can manage to stay upright as long as I ride carefully and run a cyclocross tire on the front. I just leave the slick on the back all year. Once it gets warm and dry I can switch the front wheel to the slick tire.

Otto
Old 03-18-23, 05:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
One can try to make one bike work but they might find themselves underbiked or overbiked on occasion.

​​​​I'm a believer of having the right tool for the job. The magic number for me is 4:
  • Road (fast, long rides)
  • Mountain (technical trails or purely off-road riding)
  • Gravel (non-technical trails or tarmac/dirt mix)
  • Urban/utility (around town, commuting, panniers, etc)
I have three "wrong bikes" which according to some people are less than optimal for any type of riding....but the only thing I am really sacrificing or compromising is some speed which to me is irrelevant because I don't ride to chase numbers. Putting speed aside, I've been using my "wrong non-optimal bikes" for all types of riding in all types of terrain and weather conditions and including 100 mile century rides.
Old 03-18-23, 06:28 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
For winter riding, including errands, a Del Rio Lowboy crank forward, with fenders and studded tires.
For epic touring, I use my Rans V-Rex short wheelbase recumbent with underseat panniers.
For light touring (sagged or credit card), I use my '73 Raleigh International, with rear rack.
For non-technical offroad touring, I use my Rans Sequoia crank forward.
For a tour having segments in the middle using train or bus, I use my folding Raleigh Twenty with racktop and small front panniers. I also use this bike for running errands in non-winter.
For club rides, a road bike, '80 Raleigh Professional.
For technical offroad, a 1990 GT Timberline MTB.
For recreational rides on open roads, my Optima Baron low racer.
For social rides and tours, the Vision R82 recumbent tandem.

For recreational rides, whichever of the above I feel like riding.
Old 03-18-23, 07:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts

This is the one I tend to grab the most. I'm hopeful I'll build a new wheelset for this using the same hubs but deeper rims for more road use and keep this set for offroad. With wider road tires, though I guess 27c aren't considered wide now, I can easily hit dirt roads, rail trails and do extended road miles. With cross tires I often hit the local beginner to intermediate trails and work on speed and handling for cross season, and also good for the rougher gravel areas. If its a road race then I use the road bike, if its real MTBing then I use the mtb. But this is the one I'm inclined to lean towards.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-18-23, 07:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Riding a gravel bike (>35mm tires with tread) is a compromise on the road, if you’re comparing rolling efficiency to a road bike with <28mm slick tires.
Depends on how compromised your roads are...
Old 03-18-23, 08:17 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have three "wrong bikes" which according to some people are less than optimal for any type of riding....but the only thing I am really sacrificing or compromising is some speed which to me is irrelevant because I don't ride to chase numbers. Putting speed aside, I've been using my "wrong non-optimal bikes" for all types of riding in all types of terrain and weather conditions and including 100 mile century rides.
Seems like there's nothing "wrong" about your bikes, then 👍 Wonder if you've ever tried a "right" bike, just for comparison? I'm as prone as any to not miss what I never had.
Old 03-19-23, 09:02 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
These are the bikes I have. I take the road bike most of the time, including commuting, runing errands, meeting friends, etc. I also ride the cargo e-bike when I need to take our daughter to daycare, appointments, etc., on my own. When we travel as family, the cargo bike goes to my wife.

A new light rail station willl open within biking distance in a few years. I hope to get a cheap bike to ride between home and the station. Until then these two bikes will do.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 03-19-23, 11:40 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Had one bike for everything for years; a nice Cannondale F-1000 hard tail; since my primary riding was parks/trails, with the occasional light commuting. Like tFUnK said: with only one bike, sometimes only one bike means it might be too much or not enough, for a given day.
Or you get tired of changing slicks to knobbies every weekend, or re-rigging your bags every time you want to run errands.

I’ve got the space now, I have 5; all of them older, and most acquired second hand, but selectively upgraded and modernized for their intended use:

I don’t have to worry about what to do with the rack and baskets for a trail ride, because they’re on the townie, not the MTB, or whether I’m going to be able to hang with the coffeehouse sportive on my knobby tires, because I’ve also got a “fast” road bike.
I can also have a “fun” bike; in my case, an old Klein MTB done as a 26” BMX, which isn’t particularly great at any one thing, but is a lot of fun to ride, and it looks really cool.
Old 03-20-23, 08:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
I enjoy fast distance riding, so my choice is an endurance framed bike with 28s.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-24-23 at 10:10 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-20-23, 10:40 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I may own a “mantle piece” but am rather unclear why someone would own one if they didn’t ride it. I ride mine whenever the weather permits, and when it is just raining, I ride a 40 year old Bianchi with fenders, and when the weather is really crappy, I have an Orbea on the trainer. Since I live in the countryside, running errands is not too practical but I will make a run to the bank - 32 miles round trip on the mantle piece.
I like the "mantle piece" description. My Pro is certainly that, with a little dolling up it will be like new. I definitely ride it!

Same idea with people who have bikes as lawn decorations. Man, put some air in the tires, oil the chain and take that puppy for a ride!
Old 03-22-23, 07:38 AM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
For me any bike will do for any and every thing.

However, the best is an endurance bike with 28mm to 32mm tires.
Old 03-22-23, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I have 3 (well 4 but I haver to get rid of 1)
  • road bike for obvious use
  • mountain bike, again for obvious use
  • hybrid, which fills in the gaps & usually gets selected for rides w/ family
Old 03-23-23, 08:23 AM
Cdubs

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
I haven't tried one yet but I am thinking the gravel bike setup would be best for me. Right now I have a dual suspension mountain bike for off-road trails, a vintage road bike for some fun on the paved trails and a hardtail cheap steel mountain bike for my daily commuter too and from work a few times a week.

I have replaced the main shock on the off-road bike to something stiffer and replaced the cheap daily mountain bike tires with something more suited to pavement and asphalt trails. Maybe this summer I'll bit the bullet on a gravel bike.
Old 03-23-23, 08:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I ride daily on mixed surfaces that include about half single track with lots of roots and some ruts. There is also some nice packed sand "gravel" riding and some pavement to get to and from there. I find a 29er hardtail MTB to be pretty much ideal for that. I might some ride my old rigid MTB if the roots weren't so numerous and harsh. I do ride it now and then if I ride different trails than usual. There are plenty of options nearby that suit it and would also suit a nice new gravel bike.

I tour on road and on mixed surfaces, but don't like touring bikes much. I enjoyed riding the southern tier on my old 1990 cannondale crit bike packing uktralight camping gear. I have also done ul touring on mixed on/off road on the rigid MTB. Both worked out really well, but I'd consider a gravel bike for all but the most technical off road if buying something new.
Old 03-23-23, 02:12 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
I don't have a picture of my ideal bike, but this is the ideal cycling.

That's not a dog in the background

Although deer are much like dogs in many parts of the Blueridge parkway.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 03-23-23, 03:47 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
There has been a lot to ponder here in this thread, and thank you to the contributors.

Spring has started to show itself here finally (thank the heavens). In Winnipeg, getting around winters by bike is hard.

A dedicated winter bike would be nice, but the three season general purpose bike gets ridden in winter too. Ideally; a winterbike, a general purpose with load carrying capability, then a faster bike which is presentable in social circles. Another permutation is the general purpose which does winter duty as well, a faster bike and a more dedicated cargo bike.

Out of all those, the general purpose one would get used the most for sure. It's nice to have some bike type choices absent the fallback option of a car. It feels strange riding in a car now whenever that happens.
Old 03-23-23, 04:04 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
There are sooo many nice bikes out there to ogle. But, there are some which are just mantle pieces and others we just know we're going to use every day. If you have multiple bikes what is the bike that you don't think about using, you just use. This can be either for sheer joy of riding, or practical expediency. I am more the later. I haven't had a car for many years (not by choice) and ride a bike for transport but never specifically for pleasure. Pleasure would just be a tailwind carrying a load home, a sort of incidental joy or rather "relief". Also, bike riding is economical of course and a cheap steel mountain bike is the usual ride of choice to do the job. I'll ride whatever can carry a good load, prove reliable and be the easiest to pedal. And you?
I am fortunate to have the room and the support of Frau Toad to keep a nice catalog of bikes. The funny truth answering the question about which of these bikes I 'just use' ... the answer is: all of them! The drop-bar Pugsley in the back is always the winter bike, but I put a ton of miles on it all year. Once the snow melts (I'm near Minneapolis, and there's still deep snow everywhere!), I'll use all these bikes, picking one based on the days ride. My rule, if I'm not using the bike, I get rid of it.

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 03-24-23, 08:10 PM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts
Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; riding for fitness and enjoyment

This:

It was love at first sight and I had to have it!

Last edited by eljayski; 03-24-23 at 08:14 PM.
Likes For eljayski:
Old 03-24-23, 11:49 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 422 Posts
^^^
Dig the bottle cage!
Old 03-25-23, 02:49 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
My latest project. I’ve been putting this bike together for the last few weeks, upgrading to the Dura Ace 7700 kit and Capreo 9-26 cassette, the last part remaining is the front derailleur which should be on by next week. I had always wanted a Moulton, and after receiving and riding this one, I can see why people love them. A wonderful ride, compact, and can be disassembled and carried in a bag. Now that the weather is looking better, I hope to put a lot of miles on this bike.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 03-25-23, 06:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
One can try to make one bike work but they might find themselves underbiked or overbiked on occasion.

​​​​I'm a believer of having the right tool for the job. The magic number for me is 4:
  • Road (fast, long rides)
  • Mountain (technical trails or purely off-road riding)
  • Gravel (non-technical trails or tarmac/dirt mix)
  • Urban/utility (around town, commuting, panniers, etc)
Sometimes I miss having a fixed gear/singlespeed bike but I live near the foothills now and there's always headwind so not really.
I’m of the same mindset. I do many types or riding and no bike is going to be much good at more than one of these uses.
  1. “All Road” bike (sort of between Endurance Road and Gravel) with fast 35-38mm tire for all paved and gravel road riding.
  2. 140mm FS MTB for mountain biking when the trails are not muddy and snow covered.
  3. Fat Bike for when the trails are muddy or snow covered
  4. Commuter / Utility bike.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-25-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-25-23, 07:01 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Does anyone remember the TV show, Then Came Bronson? Bronson rode a Harley Davidson Sportster that he used for traveling about and by removing some parts using it as a hill climber. I always think about my Kona Sutra this way. I use it for the road, but by removing the luggage, ride the trails with my family.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 03-25-23, 08:13 AM
Robert7659
Getoutofmyway

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
A gravel bike with 32mm to 38mm slick puncture resistant tires (like Schwalbe Marathon Plus) easily combines the all-road and utility features. I have the Cannondale Topstone. With the handlebar lowered it’s a wide tire capable heavy duty road bike.

My race-y endurance bike is really nice to have but not that different or necessary really.
Old 03-25-23, 08:22 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
Billy Joel sang "a bottle of red, a bottle of white. It all depends upon your appetite". Thus it is with bikes.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-25-23, 10:15 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I went into my LBS in 2015 and told them I wanted a bike. The salesman said "Road or Mountain?" I told him I didn't know the difference. He asked me questions and led me to a Trek Dual Sport Hybrid. My friends have since told me that I was dumb to pay full price for a bike instead of purchasing from CL or other used places... but I find that my LBS did me a great favor.

I've read all of the posts about what constitutes a gravel bike vs a MTB, and I know a lot more about the terminology now than I did 8 years ago. If I had it to do all over again, I'd get the exact same thing. Sure, it lacks a little on the road and all that, but for riding on trails or the neighborhood streets with my kids, it is perfect.

And yes, I did get also get a road bike for the days I'm going out by myself, and it is better. My favorite will be whichever one I'm riding, because they do different things. I'm not gonna do big steep hills that require the MTB setup, so I've been lucky that I've had no buyer's remorse. As many do on these forums, I say that the LBS is definitely the way to go!
Likes For Photokid1970:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.