Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus 3.0 - Components

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 06:11 AM
Entrigo

Bikes: Merida Speeder 400 (on its way)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Found a Specialized Sirrus 3 (2020 model) discounted to £799, and quite tempted. One thing that puts me off is the components used (Microshift/Sora and Tektro brakes) which, for what I am reading around, are quite entry level. Now, I am an entry level cyclist but plan to get more into it. I know you can upgrade, but I am not a tinkerer by nature - so, unless I force my brother to do it for me, I'd probably have to pay someone to do it and I am not sure it will be financially worth it.

Or should I just fork out a bit more and go for a higher spec bike (Cannondale Quick 1, Merida Speeder 400 if I can find one...) with a 105 groupset and Shimano brakes?
Old 11-11-22, 10:41 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I love my 2020 Sirrus 3.0. I have over 2,600 miles on it so far with no issues. I just replaced the original tires with Schwalbe Marathon Plus, put on a new chain and replaced the rear brake pads. The brakes always have stopped me quickly in dry or wet conditions and the Microshift/Sora setup has been flawless for me. I ride paved as well as unpaved bike trails.
Old 11-11-22, 10:58 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for that Tim. Actually decided against it (gut feeling, although as you also said, the components would have probably been more than fine) and went for a Merida Speeder 400 - from what I read, Merida actually makes most of the Specialized bikes and the geometry is in fact very very similar. But, although more expensive (£1100), it has much better specs - in fact better than a carbon Sirrus with a RRP of £1700 I saw on offer!
Likes For Entrigo:
Old 11-11-22, 11:09 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
iMHO Tektro brakes get a bad rap here on the forum. Most of the problems that many cite deal with bleeding them not using them. I found them to be quite easy to both use and bleed. In fact my high end Canyon Roadlite 9LTD has them. So when I updated my new LiteSpeed Cherohala City(s) this spring II put Tektro brakes on them instead of Shimano. Don't let the brake set worry you.
Old 11-13-22, 10:41 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for that, good to hear. I am but a newbie, so I probably wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between the Tektro and a top of the range set of brakes anyway (or a Sora and a 105 groupset... )
Old 11-14-22, 12:29 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I've owned and serviced for family several sets of both Shimano and Tektro. I think three Tektro systems and probably six or seven Shimano systems. In short, the Shimano systems seem to be of higher overall quality, and I definitely prefer the bleeding procedures on Shimano. In fact, I rarely even need to do a full bleed on Shimano brakes -- because they use the open cup system for "bleeding", you can periodically just screw on a cup with a little bit of the mineral oil fluid in it and quickly snap the levers and flick the lines with your finger until any bubbles make their way out. It's a very easy way to do a quick "service bleed" without having to undo anything with the calipers or pads. The only thing you need to do is rotate the brake lever on the handlebar so the hydraulic reservoir is level. This is 100% anecdotal, but I've also had one hydraulic brake failure, and it was on one of the Tektro calipers...the caliper housing itself started to leak.

For entry level brakes, the Tektros will probably work fine, though I think the prevailing recommendation is to stick to Shimano hydraulics, especially at the entry level. Based on my experience with them, I personally favor Shimano over Tektro, at least for hydraulic brakes. I have nothing against the Tektro brand, and use Tektro nearly exclusively for rim brakes (both linear pull and cantilever). But for hydraulic brakes, I prefer Shimano.
Old 11-16-22, 09:50 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I've owned and serviced for family several sets of both Shimano and Tektro. I think three Tektro systems and probably six or seven Shimano systems. In short, the Shimano systems seem to be of higher overall quality, and I definitely prefer the bleeding procedures on Shimano. In fact, I rarely even need to do a full bleed on Shimano brakes -- because they use the open cup system for "bleeding", you can periodically just screw on a cup with a little bit of the mineral oil fluid in it and quickly snap the levers and flick the lines with your finger until any bubbles make their way out. It's a very easy way to do a quick "service bleed" without having to undo anything with the calipers or pads. The only thing you need to do is rotate the brake lever on the handlebar so the hydraulic reservoir is level. This is 100% anecdotal, but I've also had one hydraulic brake failure, and it was on one of the Tektro calipers...the caliper housing itself started to leak.

For entry level brakes, the Tektros will probably work fine, though I think the prevailing recommendation is to stick to Shimano hydraulics, especially at the entry level. Based on my experience with them, I personally favor Shimano over Tektro, at least for hydraulic brakes. I have nothing against the Tektro brand, and use Tektro nearly exclusively for rim brakes (both linear pull and cantilever). But for hydraulic brakes, I prefer Shimano.
Thanks for that. Realised my new bike also have Tektro (somehow I was under the impression it had Shimano). Oh well, it will be for the next bike if I manage to seriously get into cycling.