Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike to convert into ebike | 375 LBS

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 11-16-22, 12:34 AM
EndOfEve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all! I realize this might be a difficult task. Looking to not spend 2k. Maybe like 1000 if possible.
Would a Trek 820 work + some heavy duty wheels be enough to support my weight on paved trails and some gravel trails? Would velomine tires work best? or does anyone have any recommendation of a bike + tire combo that would work. Thanks!
Old 04-05-23, 10:32 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by EndOfEve
Hey all! I realize this might be a difficult task. Looking to not spend 2k. Maybe like 1000 if possible.
Would a Trek 820 work + some heavy duty wheels be enough to support my weight on paved trails and some gravel trails? Would velomine tires work best? or does anyone have any recommendation of a bike + tire combo that would work. Thanks!
My wife and I bought two RAD commuter bikes. I paid $1200 for mine because it was a RAD demo bike. These bikes have aluminum frames but still weigh in at 70lbs or so. That is because everything on them is designed to take the 1hp electric motor output without breaking. The wheels and hubs are heavy duty, the frame is heavy duty and they get a real workout from that rear hub motor. I have seen lots of people put electric and gas motors on regular bikes. Most of the time you start seeing the frame bending from all the extra power. Humans can't put out the amount of power that a gas or electric motor can so bikes designed for humans are really not strong enough to be motorized. I recommend watching for sales from dealers and manufacturers and you'll find a new e-bike for your price or darned close. If you have not used an e-bike before I found the experience rather transformative. So many different rides now open up to you because the battery and motor have your back. I really like mine and put on over 2500 miles the first year of owning.
Likes For tallbikeman:
Old 04-06-23, 05:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
FWIW, OP was one and done, 6 months ago. Well heck, someone's on a roll reviving dead threads....

Last edited by shelbyfv; 04-06-23 at 06:00 AM.