Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Pedal thread size?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Pedal thread size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 08:19 AM
Cabo9302

Bikes: Schwinn Sanctuary 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pedal thread size?

Hello all. Newbie here with a question about the pedal threads. Is the size standard on all bikes? I just purchased a new Sanctuary 7 from Amazon (about $310) and just received it this week. Upon assembly, I noticed the pedals seem very cheaply made, a plastic-like material. Because I'm not a small guy, I thought I'd upgrade to an alloy material pedal set off Amazon, but I wanted to make sure they will fit my bicycle. They say they are 9/16" thread? Everything on this bike on assembly is metric, so I'm sceptical. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-22, 08:43 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
2 sizes. 9/16 and 1/2 with the 9/16 generally better pedals. Roger
Old 12-09-22, 08:48 AM
Cabo9302

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
2 sizes. 9/16 and 1/2 with the 9/16 generally better pedals. Roger
Roger - thanks for your quick reply. Is there any way to find out which size I have? The user's manual doesn't say , and I haven't been able to locate that info online.
Old 12-09-22, 08:56 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
9/16 x 20 tpi spindles are common on most bikes, but you will find 1/2 x 20 tpi spindles on some, mostly children's bikes and others with one-piece cranks. I'd guess a 50-50 chance on yours being one or the other. Best to remove one of the pedals and measure. Keep in mind that the left pedal is removed by turning clockwise. Your pedals will not be metric.

Most bikes of that level will have those composite pedals. They are not high quality but they do seem to last a few years, even with heavy use. I'd recommend just using them while you're getting used to your new bike.

Edit: I have to say that even though I've installed hundreds of pedals over the last few years, I have not been able to eyeball a pedal to accurately determine the diameter. Two different sizes side-by-side, yes, but single pedals - no. You really need a caliper to measure, or if you have a 1/2" drill bit you can compare (or see if it slides into the crank hole - it should not if your pedal is 1/2").

Good luck and welcome to BikeForums

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 12-09-22 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-09-22, 09:24 AM
Cabo9302

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
9/16 x 20 tpi spindles are common on most bikes, but you will find 1/2 x 20 tpi spindles on some, mostly children's bikes and others with one-piece cranks. I'd guess a 50-50 chance on yours being one or the other. Best to remove one of the pedals and measure. Keep in mind that the left pedal is removed by turning clockwise. Your pedals will not be metric.

Most bikes of that level will have those composite pedals. They are not high quality but they do seem to last a few years, even with heavy use. I'd recommend just using them while you're getting used to your new bike.

Edit: I have to say that even though I've installed hundreds of pedals over the last few years, I have not been able to eyeball a pedal to accurately determine the diameter. Two different sizes side-by-side, yes, but single pedals - no. You really need a caliper to measure, or if you have a 1/2" drill bit you can compare (or see if it slides into the crank hole - it should not if your pedal is 1/2").

Good luck and welcome to BikeForums
Excellent - thank you, Moe!
Likes For Cabo9302:
Old 12-09-22, 10:02 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Cabo9302
Hello all. Newbie here with a question about the pedal threads. Is the size standard on all bikes? I just purchased a new Sanctuary 7 from Amazon (about $310) and just received it this week. Upon assembly, I noticed the pedals seem very cheaply made, a plastic-like material. Because I'm not a small guy, I thought I'd upgrade to an alloy material pedal set off Amazon, but I wanted to make sure they will fit my bicycle. They say they are 9/16" thread? Everything on this bike on assembly is metric, so I'm sceptical. Thanks in advance.
I run PC pedals on some of my bikes, they aren't inherently bad. Yours aren't bad, but they have that awful cruiser shape. Your bike takes 1/2 pedals, btw.
One piece cranks like your bike has take 1/2" pedals (there are exceptions to this, but rarely.)
PC pedals like these Ody's are actually really very good. Millions of BMX riders will vouch for them. You are NOT going to break them
https://www.amazon.com/ODYSSEY-BMX-P.../dp/B003UWEY7K
Shadow's are good, rock brothers are nice.
All of the really really high end stuff is 9/16's (or italian), but you can still get excellent pedals in 1/2" size
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pc+bmx+pe...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 12-09-22, 10:08 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
You could always get yourself a pair of these
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Ops-Bea...-11&th=1&psc=1
Old 12-10-22, 09:32 PM
Cabo9302

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. I have bookmarked those options in my Amazon wish list. I've decided to at least give the pedals the bicycle came with a try and see how they hold up for now. Thanks again.
Likes For Cabo9302:
Old 12-16-22, 12:23 PM
primesuspect

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I do.

I agree.