Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I rode somewhere on my bike!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I rode somewhere on my bike!

Old 01-31-23, 10:35 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I've been doing it so long I come at it from another direction. On the rare occasion I drive my wife's car on an errand, rather than just ride, it feels weird. Just a couple nights ago I made a quick dash to the drugstore at 9pm, and drove. It was ~20F and clear. No good reason not to ride the 2 mile round-trip, other than the extra effort to dress warm and lock up the bike, but I drove. Heck, I could have walked. Using a 180hp 2 ton vehicle to move a 190 lb man 2 miles seems just plain silly.
Old 01-31-23, 11:34 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
The only time I ride to get somewhere is if I have to take my car into the shop. Then I'll ride to a from the office.

I'd need a new bike to run errands and from where I live it's a 20+ mi. RT to anywhere. So I'm stuck with pleasure riding. Which isn't really a bad thing.
Old 02-01-23, 07:50 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
Congratulations. I started riding again in 2008. The first time was necessity, needed to fetch parts for my pickup. Then decided to start commuting to work. It was so much fun a few months later I'm riding extra miles on the way home and a weekend ride just for fun.

Have fun and keep riding!
Old 02-09-23, 06:56 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
How many of you other old timers just ride for exercise, like I do? How many of you actually use your bike(s) for transportation?
I'll occasionally use my bike for a commute. Most commonly when I need something at the auto parts store!

It has much to do with where I live, which is neither particularly bike friendly, and doesn't have many interesting shops nearby. Not only do I ride mostly for exercise, but I usually drive somewhere so I can ride my bike there.

Last edited by UnCruel; 02-15-23 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-15-23, 04:39 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
I have always used my bike for both recreation and transportation. I began 50 years ago while in college and working full time. It was the only way to work a little recreation into my daily routine. I didn't quit, and now, at 70, I rarely use the car for any local transportation.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638: