Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cycling Computer for a Brompton

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-03-23, 12:18 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I suppose that all (most) wireless cycling computers will work with 16" wheels, but I'm wondering if any are more optimized or more accurate than others for my Brompton. Do smaller wheels present problems that full size wheels don't encounter? I don't want a Garmin or other GPS stuff. Just basic speed and distance would be fine.

What do other Brompton riders use?

Thank you.
Old 02-03-23, 07:32 AM
Blackstrida_A_

Bikes: Strida SD, SDe, Evo, Strida efneo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
...Do smaller wheels present problems that full size wheels don't encounter?....
I believe - yes indeed. The smaller the wheel, the larger the distance from sensor to computer - you may/may not get range problems.
To be on the safe side you could measure the actual distance and check the datasheet of the desired computer.
Old 02-03-23, 08:25 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
Any smartphone will give you speed and distance.
Old 02-03-23, 08:27 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Any GPS, Bryton, Hammerhead, Wahoo, Garmin will work. They don't care about wheel size, they determine GPS position, use a stop watch to determine speed, shows you the results. GPS app such as RideWithGPS will do the same as an app on a phone,
Old 02-03-23, 09:09 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
LED headlamps can mess with wireless computer signals.

We've been very satisfied with the Xoss G on our 16" trifolds.
Old 02-09-23, 02:12 AM
CEBEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
I wander why you wouldn’t consider GOS stuff, because of costs? I use Garmin GoS computers to track distance, it exports data automatically and it can be also synced automatically to other apps which will allow you to monitor total distance for maintenance purposes if that’s what you’re looking for.
Old 02-09-23, 03:31 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackstrida_A_
I believe - yes indeed. The smaller the wheel, the larger the distance from sensor to computer - you may/may not get range problems.
To be on the safe side you could measure the actual distance and check the datasheet of the desired computer.
Sensors tend to work either on ANT+ or bluetooth which have easily 3m of range. In the case of indoor trainer, the speed sensor has to be on the rear hub and it works perfectly well.
Then when it come to accuracy with older device (like my fenix 5 plus manual mode), the best is set 2 marks 10mm apart , align the valve with the 1st mark and then count the number or rotation needed to reach the 10m. Or, align the valve, count 5 rotation, mark the valve @ rotation 5 and measure the distance.
Once you have the distance per rotation, add it to the sensor setup in the machine.

But, most of GPS equipped devices (fenix 5plus in mode auto or edge 530/130plus) will disregard the speed sensor data for 1K but would still count the number of rev. After that 1k, it give a message saying the speed sensor is calibrated and switch to speed sensor reading (useful in tunnel)
Old 02-09-23, 03:35 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I suppose that all (most) wireless cycling computers will work with 16" wheels, but I'm wondering if any are more optimized or more accurate than others for my Brompton. Do smaller wheels present problems that full size wheels don't encounter? I don't want a Garmin or other GPS stuff. Just basic speed and distance would be fine.

What do other Brompton riders use?

Thank you.
My daughter has a edge 130plus and has a Decathlon cadence sensor on the 127mm left crank and wahoo speed sensor on the rear wheel hub. Very accurate and good for cyclocross training.
Old 02-18-23, 11:26 AM
biker101

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

On my Brompton, I recently replaced my wired bike computer with a GPS type computer (COOSPO Bike Computer Wireless GPS, Bike Speedometer). This model allows me to switch off GPS, so the battery lasts forever. I use this setup to simply monitor speed and cadence via two ANT sensors. Due to the range and quality of the ANT sensors, this works very well.

Last edited by biker101; 02-18-23 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-28-24, 06:54 PM
danielygo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biker101

On my Brompton, I recently replaced my wired bike computer with a GPS type computer (COOSPO Bike Computer Wireless GPS, Bike Speedometer). This model allows me to switch off GPS, so the battery lasts forever. I use this setup to simply monitor speed and cadence via two ANT sensors. Due to the range and quality of the ANT sensors, this works very well.

May I know what wheel size did you input for the bike computer sensor? I am seeing really off distance numbers when compared to my ride companions. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-02-24, 09:10 PM
biker101

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The circumference of the Brompton wheel is usually between 1.27 m and 1.30 m depending on the tire. This should get you close to within 1 or 2 %. If you go for a ride and montior the GPS distance, you can compare the two and slightly adjust the circumference of the tire, so that everntually both distances agree.