Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Compact usb-c charger for UK+Europe

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 03:26 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts

When travelling in North America, I carry a foldable Anker 30W. Roughly 1 cubic inch.

What would be the most compact charger compatible with UK and continental Europe outlets?

[EDIT] Found 3 interesting options. A simple, cheap US -> EU will do the trick. [\EDIT]

Last edited by gauvins; 02-11-23 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 04:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If your charger says it is good for up to 240v and 50hz on the label, just get a UK and an EU adapter for the one you already have.
Old 02-11-23, 05:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
The UK uses a honking big plug unfortunately. If you just want a single device then one of those universal travel chargers might be the best bet.
https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Univer.../dp/B078S3M2NX
Likes For znomit:
Old 02-11-23, 01:25 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If your charger says it is good for up to 240v and 50hz on the label, just get a UK and an EU adapter for the one you already have.
I hear you. EU adapters are reasonably small. UK adapters are a different story. For some reason a UK folding charger seems like a better idea.
Old 02-11-23, 01:27 PM
gauvins

Originally Posted by znomit
The UK uses a honking big plug unfortunately.
Absolute disaster, yes. Do you know of a small plug adaptor like this one that would work from a UK charger?
Old 02-11-23, 02:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
You could just wait till you get over there and buy one. Maybe even in a shop as you make your way from the airplane to the baggage section of the airport. Though it'll probably be pricey at the airport.
Old 02-11-23, 04:55 PM
gauvins

Looks like there are 3 interesting options:
  1. Micro Novelty's EVO, which includes 2 USB-A ports and can be plugged in most countries. This is a universal charger -- you cannot connect your devices, other than USB powered. See
  2. The Road Warrior adapter, which is strictly a compact, modular adapter kit. (see
    )
  3. Or a simple US to Europe adapter, which sells for about $5 and can actually be used in the UK. Turns out that EU plugs do fit in a UK socket, as long as you have depressed the locking mechanism. Several videos on YouTube illustrate this. (see
    )
I believe that 3 is best for my use case.

Last edited by gauvins; 02-11-23 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-12-23, 06:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If you get the EU to USA plug adapter like you cited, make sure it is one like you showed, that has a wider slot on the left side than the slot on the right in the photo.

USA plugs often have one prong wider than the other if it is a polarized plug. But China plugs do not have a wider prong. I made the mistake of buying some China adapters and discovered that some of my devices with wide prongs did not fit in the adapters that I bought.

Thanks for posting video number 3, I was unaware that a UK adapter was not needed. I have not been to UK, but just before Covid I started planning a UK trip, bought the giant adapter.

Before my last Europe trip, I bought a three port USB charger that had an EU plug so I could skip the adapter, in the photo I have two Eneloop NiMH AA chargers and one Li Ion battery charger for my camera batteries. But my charger lacks the high amperage you are seeking.

Old 02-13-23, 02:24 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
When travelling in North America, I carry a foldable Anker 30W. Roughly 1 cubic inch.

What would be the most compact charger compatible with UK and continental Europe outlets?
Those compact high-power adapters tend to last a limited time, even when from reasonable brand names, dying from chips overheating.
Old 02-14-23, 08:14 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by 2_i
Those compact high-power adapters tend to last a limited time [...]
I use them sparingly and draw just a few Watts. No problem so far (1+ year). There are a few negative reviews on Amazon, similar rate to, say, 60W full-size charger. The NYT (WireCutter) picked the nano as its top choice.
Old 02-14-23, 09:32 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by gauvins
I use them sparingly and draw just a few Watts. No problem so far (1+ year). There are a few negative reviews on Amazon, similar rate to, say, 60W full-size charger. The NYT (WireCutter) picked the nano as its top choice.
Indeed, I think that if you stay away from the nominal rating, you should be OK. I suffered myself from a similarly compact power supply dying after being operated for a while near the rating and, as a replacement, I got one rated at nearly twice the power I usually need.
Old 02-21-23, 04:23 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Those compact high-power adapters tend to last a limited time, even when from reasonable brand names, dying from chips overheating.
Mmm, not so much if you using a charger made with GaN components. The whole point in using them is that they can handle much higher heat without failure. The GaN chargers are typically pretty small and they work super well. I've been using them since they first came out and I had some experience in developing products with GaN. I'd not hesitate to put them to their rated outputs.

Anger makes some really nice small and reliable units. Amazon has them.
Old 02-21-23, 04:48 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Mmm, not so much if you using a charger made with GaN components. The whole point in using them is that they can handle much higher heat without failure. The GaN chargers are typically pretty small and they work super well. I've been using them since they first came out and I had some experience in developing products with GaN. I'd not hesitate to put them to their rated outputs.

Anger makes some really nice small and reliable units. Amazon has them.
The one that died on me at the most inopportune moment was a GaN from SlimQ. It was just weeks past warranty. Interestingly, their next model for the same power was bulkier, so I figure that have overdone making that earlier adapter compact. In the next round, I was ordering different brands from Amazon and using them in my typical context and checking how much they heated. I sent back several until I settled on a Satechi that was just warming up - this for a laptop, but also charging whatever I carry around. This life on the edge got to be far more common for different electronic devices consuming high power in small sizes. Yes, they withstand the high temp, but just over the time of the order of a year.
Old 02-21-23, 04:57 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by 2_i
The one that died on me at the most inopportune moment was a GaN from SlimQ. It was just weeks past warranty. Interestingly, their next model for the same power was bulkier, so I figure that have overdone making that earlier adapter compact. In the next round, I was ordering different brands from Amazon and using them in my typical context and checking how much they heated. I sent back several until I settled on a Satechi that was just warming up - this for a laptop, but also charging whatever I carry around. This life on the edge got to be far more common for different electronic devices consuming high power in small sizes. Yes, they withstand the high temp, but just over the time of the order of a year.
That was just a bad design. I have a SlimQ charger and it buzzes which probably means the transformer is shoddy and the windings are not secured. I'd bet a fair bit of money that the GaN power chips were just fine and that they were using crap components and/or a poor design in the rest of it. So to my point, it's not that high power compact chargers fail (GaN or otherwise) it's that chargers with crappy designs fail. I would agree with you that the SlimQ chargers are not the best by a long shot.

All that said, I have quite a number of Anker and Mopoint chargers - all GaN and most at least 60W some at 100W and none of them have failed. And I beat them hard, often using the to charge a portable battery at the full rating of the charger (100W) to charge the battery fast. I use the battery for travel and I use the single 60W or 100W charger also to charge my laptop and phone simultaneously.

Oh, and my blasted spell checker keeps changing "Anker" to "Anger." I've had good luck with Anker chargers.

J.
Old 02-21-23, 05:49 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I always carry one of those tiny apple 5W chargers as well, just in case.
Old 02-21-23, 07:14 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
That was just a bad design. I have a SlimQ charger and it buzzes which probably means the transformer is shoddy and the windings are not secured. I'd bet a fair bit of money that the GaN power chips were just fine and that they were using crap components and/or a poor design in the rest of it. So to my point, it's not that high power compact chargers fail (GaN or otherwise) it's that chargers with crappy designs fail. I would agree with you that the SlimQ chargers are not the best by a long shot.

All that said, I have quite a number of Anker and Mopoint chargers - all GaN and most at least 60W some at 100W and none of them have failed. And I beat them hard, often using the to charge a portable battery at the full rating of the charger (100W) to charge the battery fast. I use the battery for travel and I use the single 60W or 100W charger also to charge my laptop and phone simultaneously.

J.
Part of the bad design can be packing components that generate high heat into a small volume. Even if the particular GaN chip withstands the heat, other components in the surrounding age at an accelerated pace.

Another category of devices dying on me repeatedly have been cable modems, by all sign from chip overheating and similar lifetimes, of 1-2 years, albeit operating continuously, unlike the typical laptop adapters. One more line, of devices expecting to die at a young age, though not yet with actual experience, have been usb c docking stations heating up like irons. I have been checking them out and sending back, not willing to take the risk, even that of burning the hand when grabbing one accidentally with an open palm.
Old 02-21-23, 07:30 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by 2_i
Part of the bad design can be packing components that generate high heat into a small volume. Even if the particular GaN chip withstands the heat, other components in the surrounding age at an accelerated pace.

Another category of devices dying on me repeatedly have been cable modems, by all sign from chip overheating and similar lifetimes, of 1-2 years, albeit operating continuously, unlike the typical laptop adapters. One more line, of devices expecting to die at a young age, though not yet with actual experience, have been usb c docking stations heating up like irons. I have been checking them out and sending back, not willing to take the risk, even that of burning the hand when grabbing one accidentally with an open palm.
"Can be" but if what you say is true, I would have had all these chargers fail and that is simply not happening. You had a bad charger. There are bad chargers out there. I agree that it looks like SlimQ doesn't have the best designs. But that doesn't mean that every small high power GaN charger is going to fail in 1-2 years. Some of them that I have, for example, are at least that old and were some of the first GaN chargers out there and have run continuously for that period. The circuit design, the heat sink design and the quality of the components all contribute to the quality of the design.

To give you some context on this, I'm an electrical engineer in the semiconductor industry. I have a lot of experience with failure analysis of semiconductors and including accelerated aging/life testing and product qualification. Just because a chip gets hot or warm to the touch, doesn't mean it fails or that it's going to fail prematurely. If it's a quality chip, in a quality design and operated within it's specified temp range, it's going to last a long time unless it's a crap component (and there are a lot of fakes out there in Asia). Commercial temp is 0-70C. 70C is pretty darn hot (158F). It's insufficient to say that just because it's small and it's high power that it will be unreliable. That's simply not true.
Old 02-21-23, 08:12 PM
2_i 

I pull out from this discussion.