Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Fitness Ramp Rate - Training Peaks

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Fitness Ramp Rate - Training Peaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 11:15 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My HRV was in the toilet two days before Covid hit me.

I find that HRV, sleep quality, mood, and an assessment on the bike will tell me if I can profit from a workout. I am sure there is a way to model, I just err on the side of caution. If after warming up, my HR vs Power is not "correct" and if my subjective metrics were off, I just turn around and go home. OTOH, sometimes there is fatigue and sleep is a little off and then after warming up, I typically feel good and then continue with whatever was planned. I always deal with these short term disruptions when increasing my brevet distances, and the effect is not positive but there is no alternative, you have to do the distances to qualify.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-15-23, 05:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
I find the placebo/nocebo effects of the PMC, HRV, the sleep tracker, etc pretty strong and I struggle to generate good subjective ratings. I should probably give up the gizmos, but I loves me some numbers.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-15-23, 07:47 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Yeah, PMR got stuck over in "rheumatica" territory because AFAIK no one knows what causes it, so why not call it auto-immune. The treatment is a steroid, prednisone, and AFAIK no one knows why that works either. As long as one doesn't get giant cell arteritis, it's no big deal. Otherwise, it's otherwise. A weird note is that about when I got my first case of it, a riding buddy, 10 years younger, also came down with it. Huh. But it's definitely associated with a big drop in one's parasympathetic nervous system activity and hence an increase in inflammation. (I think that makes sense, but I'm not a doctor). "Polymyalgia" means that everything hurts, literally your muscles, but joints also. Usually a geezer disease. My WAG is that it's associated with low blood levels of choline. I don't consume a lot of eggs and no meat. After that last bout, I started taking a scoop of sunflower lecithin (~400mg choline) every morning, haven't had that problem again.

Digression . . . but just another good use of HRV. Keeps track of all sorts of things.
Giant cell arteritis was one of those rare treatable causes of stroke we were always looking for as neurology residents. I finally saw a case with Tom Cupps and Tony Fauci when I was doing consults as a fellow at the NIH. They literally wrote the book on it.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-15-23, 08:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Giant cell arteritis was one of those rare treatable causes of stroke we were always looking for as neurology residents. I finally saw a case with Tom Cupps and Tony Fauci when I was doing consults as a fellow at the NIH. They literally wrote the book on it.
OK, cred is established.