Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mounting under-BB-shell plastic guides

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-07-23, 10:24 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 394 Posts

On a bike where I think I should resort to passing shift cables under the shell, I keep seeing references to "Shimano Bottom Bracket Cable Guide SM-SP17" or equivalent: LINK But I see some come with no hardware, some come with a sheet metal screw (ugh!) and there are references to an M5 bolt. In some instances I've read of an insert that goes inside the shell (I presume designed to stay clear of bearing cups, etc.) And electing a particular model # during searches does not ensure a purchase means one will get anything other than no hardware or the sheet metal screw. OK, time to "make it right". I would imagine am M5 button-head bolt is not all that hard to find (of course, I'll end up with a bag of 25, and thus 24 left over ). So (a) what would the insert look like, is it possible to make one; I'd presume a nut is too small so now we're talking a scrap of metal shaped to fit, and then drilled/tapped, or (b) isn't the BB shell thick enough to drill and tap directly? Or, of course, if someone else makes a better one...

Old 03-07-23, 10:34 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
BB shell is beefy enough to drill and tap, no problem. All the big box stores carry metric hardware in stainless steel, just go down to the local HD or Lowes and pick up a couple.
Likes For AngryScientist:
Old 03-07-23, 10:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
It’s possible to get lucky and not even need a guide. I tried that on my Super Course, but it didn’t work out. So I drilled and tapped a hole. I was using a cartridge BB, and my bolt was too long, interfering with the BB. So I had to carefully cut the bolt down. Overall, it was pretty involved, but it worked out.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-07-23, 11:02 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Drill a hole and use a self tapping screw. I did it on an old Giant and it never gave me any problems. Use a thread lock or grease on the screw when you put it in to stay. Screws can be had individually at any hardware store (Ace, etc.) I got the plastic guide off the bay for >buck. The screw cost more because I went stainless. Good luck,
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 03-07-23, 11:11 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
As others suggested, drill and tap. On my alu CAAD4, PO torn the piece out leaving a martian crater where the orig screw holes were, I drilled a small hole size of a needle just to guide and let a wood screw to make itself comfy.
Barbarian as hell, but it works, actually it just has to keep thing laterally stabile, since the cables are anyway holding it, but its strong engough anyway. No epoxy/etc.. was used.
Old 03-07-23, 12:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
I buy mine from framebuildersupply.com. I do a lot of framework, so I order them 10 at a time. They sell them for $0.95 each, 10 for $8. They come with a screw. If you lose the screw, most any M5 screw will work just fine. Length is only critical if you're using a cartridge sealed bottom bracket, as you don't want the screw to hit the sleeve on the BB, so choose your length wisely.

Easy drill and tap into the bottom bracket, which are typically mild steel, as others have noted.

One thing to check, if you have a brazed on cable stop on the chain stay, make sure it's on the bottom of the stay. If it's braze onto the top you can't use one. It may seem obvious, but I've done stupider things in the past.

Last edited by gugie; 03-07-23 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-07-23, 12:31 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
BB shell is beefy enough to drill and tap, no problem. All the big box stores carry metric hardware in stainless steel, just go down to the local HD or Lowes and pick up a couple.
Good to hear. Of the two major big-box home center chains, both at <2 miles away but Big Orange has their own screw/bolt brand, "Built-Rite" or something like that, and so many bolt heads have sheared off on various applications I dare not use them!

Originally Posted by Lattz
As others suggested, drill and tap. On my alu CAAD4, PO torn the piece out leaving a martian crater where the orig screw holes were
It hurts to read that.

Originally Posted by Lattz
I drilled a small hole size of a needle just to guide and let a wood screw to make itself comfy.
Good point -- I have a generic drill guide, but designed for flat surfaces only. Then again, tiny holes are a challenge; I tried drilling a stem a while back as a pilot hole before boring out to the size to be a centerpull cable stop. Half a drill bit is still in there.

Originally Posted by gugie
I buy mine from framebuildersupply.com. They come with a screw. If you lose the screw, most any M5 screw will work just fine. Length is only critical if you're using a cartridge sealed bottom bracket, as you don't want the screw to hit the sleeve on the BB, so choose your length wisely. Easy drill and tap into the bottom bracket, which are typically mild steel.
Thanks, I'll look that one over and decide which I like best. (Black versus blue? Why can't I get red?) That one comes with a bolt whose head is that combination straight-slot/Phillips head that I think of as "Japanese screw" and I have an aversion... and no idea why.

Old 03-07-23, 12:57 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Thanks, I'll look that one over and decide which I like best. (Black versus blue? Why can't I get red?) That one comes with a bolt whose head is that combination straight-slot/Phillips head that I think of as "Japanese screw" and I have an aversion... and no idea why.
Once you install it, you don't see it. The screw works just fine, don't overthink it!
Old 03-07-23, 01:03 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
whatever you put down there, make it stainless. Thats the wettest part of the bike and steel screws get rusty fast down there.
Old 03-07-23, 01:12 PM
OldForerunner
Top Seeded Amateur

Bikes: Kestrels, Peugeots, EPX, Scott, Trek, C-dale, Jeunet

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 41 Posts
+1 on drill and tap.

Successfully completed on a 1973 Jeunet and a 1986 Peugeot PSN-10. The Peugeot already had a hole for the rivet so just needed tapping. Removed the rivet because a) I hate rivets and b) needed her completely stripped for the painter

Use an appropriate length stainless button head screw.
Old 03-07-23, 01:27 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
I like using threads, some BB shells have a plain hole cause the original plastic guide came with a "split plug" similar to a lot of automotive fittings for trim and shields (that typically fail, but that's another rant). If it's "missing" threads I add them, not trusting "self-tapping" screws or sheet-metal or wood threads.
YMMV
I find I almost always need to trim the length of the (always SS) bolt or machine screw, but I'm used to doing that.
I've found many Shimano guides came in purple (as well as black or blue) and always a bit mystified as to what the "other hole" was for: I always use the one that fits road bike shells (68 or 70mm) and cannot figure out why the second, unless for a VERY wide Mtn bike shell?
Old 03-07-23, 02:00 PM
tiger1964 

Once you install it, you don't see it. The screw works just fine, don't overthink it!
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
whatever you put down there, make it stainless. Thats the wettest part of the bike and steel screws get rusty fast down there.
Which begs the question, is the supplied screw stainless?

Originally Posted by OldForerunner
+1 on drill and tap. Successfully completed on a 1973 Jeunet and a 1986 Peugeot PSN-10. The Peugeot already had a hole for the rivet so just needed tapping. Removed the rivet because a) I hate rivets and b) needed her completely stripped for the painter Use an appropriate length stainless button head screw.
Originally Posted by unworthy1
I like using threads, some BB shells have a plain hole cause the original plastic guide came with a "split plug" similar to a lot of automotive fittings for trim and shields (that typically fail, but that's another rant). If it's "missing" threads I add them, not trusting "self-tapping" screws or sheet-metal or wood threads.
Yeah, both a metal rivet and a plastic split-rivet are non-starters for me.

Old 03-07-23, 02:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Which begs the question, is the supplied screw stainless?

Yeah, both a metal rivet and a plastic split-rivet are non-starters for me.
Huh, never bothered to check! Luckily I rode my 8 year old 650b conversion "Big Red" into work today, reached under and took a crappy pic:

Yeah, pretty rusty! But it's lasted 8 years with no issues. M5 stainless screws aren't rare, though. Pan or button head would be preferrable, but most anything will work.

Last edited by gugie; 03-07-23 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-07-23, 07:53 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
On a bike where I think I should resort to passing shift cables under the shell, I keep seeing references to "Shimano Bottom Bracket Cable Guide SM-SP17" or equivalent: LINK But I see some come with no hardware, some come with a sheet metal screw (ugh!) and there are references to an M5 bolt. In some instances I've read of an insert that goes inside the shell (I presume designed to stay clear of bearing cups, etc.) And electing a particular model # during searches does not ensure a purchase means one will get anything other than no hardware or the sheet metal screw. OK, time to "make it right". I would imagine am M5 button-head bolt is not all that hard to find (of course, I'll end up with a bag of 25, and thus 24 left over ). So (a) what would the insert look like, is it possible to make one; I'd presume a nut is too small so now we're talking a scrap of metal shaped to fit, and then drilled/tapped, or (b) isn't the BB shell thick enough to drill and tap directly? Or, of course, if someone else makes a better one...

Currently unavailable. I'll look around and see id i can find one locally.

Last edited by seedsbelize2; 03-07-23 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-07-23, 08:04 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Huh, never bothered to check! Luckily I rode my 8 year old 650b conversion "Big Red" into work today, reached under and took a crappy pic:

Yeah, pretty rusty! But it's lasted 8 years with no issues. M5 stainless screws aren't rare, though. Pan or button head would be preferrable, but most anything will work.
You sure that's not a pic of your lunch?
Old 03-07-23, 08:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
One thing to check, if you have a brazed on cable stop on the chain stay, make sure it's on the bottom of the stay. If it's braze onto the top you can't use one. It may seem obvious, but I've done stupider things in the past.
​​​​​​
I knew a Guerciotti like that. Only the other way around.

Some people have no business holding a brazing torch.

Originally Posted by nlerner
You sure that's not a pic of your lunch?
No, it's a pic of your basement

-Kurt

Old 03-07-23, 09:09 PM
OldForerunner
Top Seeded Amateur

Bikes: Kestrels, Peugeots, EPX, Scott, Trek, C-dale, Jeunet

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 41 Posts
​​​​​​I just had Mr. Cheaklas relocate the cable stop from the top to the bottom of chain stay on a '73 Jeunet as part of the restoration precisely for that reason.
Old 03-21-23, 11:16 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Currently unavailable. I'll look around and see id i can find one locally.
Unavailable? I am starting to believe you. OK, I got lazy/impatient and ordered one from Amazon... and got a due date further out than "two days". OK, but ten days later still in "label printed" status, not handed over to a carrier. Then I dug deeper, the "sold by" vendor has a horrible reputation, most customers experiencing the same thing as in they sold the item, printed a label, never shipped and never arrived. And the same seller name has a horrible reputation for doing the same thing on Ebay. OK, I ordered another one from another "sold by" yesterday. Shipped ASAP. This AM, already in transit from Baltimore MD which is 30 miles away, so I figure I'll have it in a day or two. I check again, and nine hours later it's in Davenport, FL... 900 miles away! I am starting to suspect either these parts simply do not exist, or someone does not want me to have one. And my project is stalled, I do not want to install the BB (so I can start checking on chain line, etc.) until I drill the shell and install this. Sheesh. Well, it gives me time to check my tap-n-die set and make sure I have M5x0.8mm, and also figure out what size pilot drilled is used before tapping.

Old 03-21-23, 11:46 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
. . . . Shipped ASAP. This AM, already in transit from Baltimore MD which is 30 miles away, so I figure I'll have it in a day or two. I check again, and nine hours later it's in Davenport, FL... 900 miles away!
USPS in the Baltimore/DC area is legendarily bad.

When I lived in that area, I once had time-sensitive paperwork mailed using trackable Priority Mail bounce back-and-forth 3 or 4 times between Baltimore and DC before it finally got sent to the correct location - which was in Indiana. As I recall it took nearly 2 weeks for it to be delivered.

And it wasn't a labeling problem. I used one of their Flat Rate envelopes, with all addressing info clearly printed in the correct locations on the places indicated on said envelope.

My guess is that in your case one of the "stellar" USPS employees in Baltimore (who has enough seniority to be essentially guaranteed a job for life) threw the package into the wrong bin, thus putting it on the wrong truck.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-21-23 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-21-23, 04:04 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
If you don't feel like drilling and tapping, glue works. I have used both epoxy and hot glue a few times. A bolt is better, but there is minimal force from shifting on that plastic piece.
Old 03-21-23, 04:15 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
This AM, already in transit from Baltimore MD which is 30 miles away, so I figure I'll have it in a day or two. I check again, and nine hours later it's in Davenport, FL... 900 miles away!
Don't feel bad I ordered a threadless stem adapter form Nevada, I'm in Illinois. After a couple days I checked on it and it was at the USPS Distribution Center in Honolulu, Hawaii! Stranger yet I got it on time! I think by going to Hawaii first it bypassed the USPS "blackhole" at Hazelwood, Missouri.
Old 03-21-23, 07:34 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by robobike316
If you don't feel like drilling and tapping, glue works. I have used both epoxy and hot glue a few times. A bolt is better, but there is minimal force from shifting on that plastic piece.
Along the same lines I've used the 3M Auto Trim tape. It's a double sided foam tape that is more than strong enough for this kind of job. I used it to mount sensors/magnets on crank arms and chainstays also and it's held for years.
Old 03-21-23, 07:53 PM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ...Well, it gives me time to check my tap-n-die set and make sure I have M5x0.8mm, and [u
also figure out what size pilot drilled is used before tapping[/u].
Tap drill sizes for metric threads are the major diameter minus the pitch. In your case, 4.2mm (0.1653") ~ #19 drill. 11/64" would also work (0.1719" dia), with slightly looser threads, but shouldn't be an issue since you're just holding the guide in place.
Old 03-22-23, 05:57 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by Hondo6
USPS in the Baltimore/DC area is legendarily bad. When I lived in that area, I once had time-sensitive paperwork mailed using trackable Priority Mail bounce back-and-forth 3 or 4 times between Baltimore and DC before it finally got sent to the correct location - which was in Indiana. As I recall it took nearly 2 weeks for it to be delivered. And it wasn't a labeling problem. I used one of their Flat Rate envelopes, with all addressing info clearly printed in the correct locations on the places indicated on said envelope. My guess is that in your case one of the "stellar" USPS employees in Baltimore (who has enough seniority to be essentially guaranteed a job for life) threw the package into the wrong bin, thus putting it on the wrong truck.
Yup, this is a USPS shipment. And, yup, we've had crazy package handling before. Anyway, after 5 hours in FL, it left Davenport, so I guess the part went on Spring Break ? But nothing in the 19 hours since, and nothing I can do about it. Plus, the first one I ordered, after 11 days of nothing, now shows "left a carrier facility" so, someday, I might have two of these. No matter. Regardless, beyond the woes of actually getting a guide...

Originally Posted by ralphs
Tap drill sizes for metric threads are the major diameter minus the pitch. In your case, 4.2mm (0.1653") ~ #19 drill. 11/64" would also work (0.1719" dia), with slightly looser threads, but shouldn't be an issue since you're just holding the guide in place.
... after posting I did a search and 4.2mm seems to be correct and my drill index does not have that, of course. So, back to Amazon (ZERO chance of Home Depot or Lowe's having it in stock, the locations near here would surprise me if they had a hammer in stock) so that's on the way. Perhaps a pilot-pilot hole in 1/8" first, then bore it out (I have plenty of 1/8" in case I break one, but only one 4.2mm coming). Hopefully I will soon be able to post a photo of the installed guide!

Old 03-22-23, 06:25 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
I don't mean to be a McGyvoring heathen but a drop of contact cement would hold that in place for eternity.
Likes For clubman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.