Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheels are wobbling...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheels are wobbling...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-23, 04:46 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Wheels are wobbling...

I just noticed that both my front and rear wheel...if spun when holding the bike or having it on a stand will sort of wobble/pulse in a front to back kind of motion. They don't move side to side or rub on anything...they just make the bike want to move back and forth if suspended in the air. I have no idea if they have always done this or not, but it doesn't seem like a great thing. When I compare to my gravel bike...if you spin the wheels on that, it's very smooth and doesn't cause the bike to want to move. Any thoughts?
Old 03-14-23, 05:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Are you using tyre sealant? It pools at the bottom of the wheel and throws the wheel off balance when you spin it up on a stand. Out on the road it all evens out.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-14-23, 10:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Bike wheels aren't balanced, which you can feel if you hold the axle and spin the wheel.

But since wheels are very light, it doesn't matter. Just ride.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-30-23, 10:28 AM
alxsmlv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's either tyres/tubes haven't been fitted properly or the wheel itself needs to be trued
Old 03-30-23, 11:38 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
This is a very controversial issue.

I honestly think it's ok to ride bike wheels that are not balanced. I have a Reynolds rear wheel that is clearly unbalanced and it's ok. But some cyclists think it's very important and will even put a counterweight on their wheel to get it balanced.

It's possible you may feel pulsations when riding at a resonant frequency (I do), but most likely you will not notice anything.

My advice? Ride more and worry less.
Old 03-30-23, 12:35 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Tries to have the hubs or the hubs axles adjusted , if it is not those then it is probably the tires
Old 03-30-23, 05:03 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
It's the valve. The wheel is ever so slightly heavier on one side which causes this "wobble" when spun freely off the ground.

You can fix this by "balancing" your wheel with a little bit of golfer's lead tape weight, but whether this is an "issue" when riding is debateable.

Originally Posted by datlas
My advice? Ride more and worry less.
That's my take on this also.

Possibly if you're racing a TT and at the pointy end of the results board it matters. I've never bothered before, but I am going to try this on my deep section wheels which feel fairly "unbalanced" in this respect.
Old 03-30-23, 05:04 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Found the video regarding this:

Old 03-30-23, 07:06 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
The question, however, is whether it makes any real difference on the road.
The amount of hop you get when sitting your weight plus the weight of the bike on the wheels is certainly less than when holding the wheel in your hands.
I have never noticed hop on wheels that were not out of round and had good tires, the fastest I have ridden was just over 51 mph.
I am also in equipoise about the claim to save energy.
I would be interested to see speed vs power with the same bike and wheels, balanced and unbalanced.
Old 03-31-23, 03:10 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I am also in equipoise about the claim to save energy.
I would be interested to see speed vs power with the same bike and wheels, balanced and unbalanced.
The clue is that he can hold the frame with one finger even when the wheels are out of balance. Increased energy claims are a load of BS. The only reason you need to balance car wheels is because of resonant frequency vibration - which is usually around motorway cruising speed and therefore a genuine problem. I've never experienced this kind of resonant vibration on a bicycle, so I don't worry about it.

I think because people can easily "feel" the out-of-balance when spinning wheels on a work stand, some believe it must be important. But those forces are tiny and insignificant unless they cause a resonant vibration, which would be obvious to the rider.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-01-23, 04:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
It's the valve. The wheel is ever so slightly heavier on one side which causes this "wobble" when spun freely off the ground.
It's the valve on carbon wheels, but usually the welded joint on aluminum wheels.