Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me decide brakes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help me decide brakes

Old 03-17-23, 06:29 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Help me decide brakes

I am going to order my first disk road bike. I have a Habanero Road bike that is fantastic and serves me well but going to get a disk one as good have another. I getting another Habanero and I am going with Shimano r8000 groupset. I want to keep is simple and I am my own mechanic. I have a choice to get mechanical disk brakes or hydraulic and what do most of you recommend? My research shows that hydraulic is superior in terms ot most things except for maintenance. The owner tells me that he ride mechanical and really cannot tell the difference that much. I know I can work on them if need but I also don't want a huge amount of fiddling with brakes. I have worked on mechanical disk brakes they we ok but a bit to get set up.

SInce I have only used rim brakes will that mean for me both is an upgrade in stopping ability. I assume the feel will be different than rim brakes but will it simply mean in my case I could be happy with mechanical disk. Maybe I am making this more complicated that it is. How much maintenance disk brakes need. Right now i have been riding 8 to 10000 miles a year so I ride a lot.
Old 03-17-23, 06:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I am going to order my first disk road bike. I have a Habanero Road bike that is fantastic and serves me well but going to get a disk one as good have another. I getting another Habanero and I am going with Shimano r8000 groupset. I want to keep is simple and I am my own mechanic. I have a choice to get mechanical disk brakes or hydraulic and what do most of you recommend? My research shows that hydraulic is superior in terms ot most things except for maintenance. The owner tells me that he ride mechanical and really cannot tell the difference that much. I know I can work on them if need but I also don't want a huge amount of fiddling with brakes. I have worked on mechanical disk brakes they we ok but a bit to get set up.

SInce I have only used rim brakes will that mean for me both is an upgrade in stopping ability. I assume the feel will be different than rim brakes but will it simply mean in my case I could be happy with mechanical disk. Maybe I am making this more complicated that it is. How much maintenance disk brakes need. Right now i have been riding 8 to 10000 miles a year so I ride a lot.
If you have a decent mechanical aptitude hydraulic disc brakes are easy to set up and maintain. There are countless tutorials on YouTube to walk you through it and mistakes if they do happen are easy to remedy so go for it. There is no comparison between hydraulic and mechanical disc brakes. You will not regret the upgrade.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-17-23, 07:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
There is no right or wrong, no matter who may claim there is.
With that said, there is 0 downside to hydraulic and it just isn't difficult to learn or manage.

If you have shifters already, I would just buy mechanical brakes if you don't want to spend more $.
If you are starting from scratch, buy hydraulic. It's 2023, the stuff is proven and reliable.

If you are concerned with the setup, slap everything on the frame, g et it dialed in, then take it to a shop and ask them to cut the hoses.
You then have a year or so to figure out how to bleed the hoses and clean out any naturally accruing contamination. Doing that is just no more work than cutting new cables and housing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-17-23, 07:22 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Habanero will actually build the bike but I have that skill in any case. I did a few months ago go through a bunch of youtube videos to see how to work in hydraulic brakes and nothing complicated for sure. I just want to t have the best and easiest braking as I ride. All I have seen so far is hydraulic is much better. What has thrown me off is Habanero the owner said she ride mechanical and could not tell the difference in a blindfold test. I am took that with a bit of respect given they are a fine operation. But to me so far I see no advantage to mechanical expect possibly in working on them and not brake bleeding.
Old 03-18-23, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
I might be wrong, but to me cable pulled discs seem like keeping all the cons of cable pulled brakes. Though those cons are few.

If money isn't an issue then I'll recommend you go all the way with hydraulic brakes.

I took the plunge back in 2020 to electronic shifting and disc brakes (hydraulic). I don't regret it at all. And the two have actually been maintenance free... except for the time I thought I could set up the rear DR adjustment better and mucked it up so badly that I just took it back to the shop and let them do it.

I've done absolutely nothing to my hydraulic brakes other than check for pad wear.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-18-23, 03:02 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
I’ve had bikes with mechanical disc, hybrid disc and hydraulic.

hydraulic wins hands down.

about the only remaining cases for mechanical I see, are 1) using brifters you already have, and 2) travel bike where it’s easier to use couplers on brake cables.

mainintaing the hydraulic discs will require new tools, and learning a new skill, but it’s not harder, just different.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 03-18-23, 03:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
I can't remember how many years I have had my hydraulic disc brake mountain bike, but maintenance has been minimal. However, I am very easy on brakes. Last summer, I changed brake pads for the first time on my 2007 Look 595 rim brake road bike, and only the rear pads at that
Old 03-18-23, 05:29 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I've had mechanical disk, they left much to be desired. Tried upgrading the front to hybrid TRP HY/RD, didn't help much. Sold that bike and have 4 hydraulic disk brake bikes that stop so much better. Not an apples-to-apples comparison given the different bikes, but I'll never choose cable-actuated disk brakes again.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-18-23, 10:39 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark

The owner tells me that he ride mechanical and really cannot tell the difference that much.
curious - did the owner tell you which mechanical and hydraulic brakes they ride ?

I‘m half joking - there might be a law against pairing cable actuated mechanical disc brakes with Dura Ace components ... guilty sent straight to Alcatraz

Last edited by t2p; 03-18-23 at 10:43 PM.